What happened to Warthog HOTAS?

guitarxe

Long time ago, I wanted to get the TM Warthog, but couldn't afford it. But back then it was going for about $USD 600 on Amazon.com.

Now I look at it, and it looks like the "official" item is out of stock, and there are some other resellers and they are all for craaaaazy prices like close to and some even over $1,000 !

Does anyone know what happened? Does TM still produce the Warthog or is there now another product that supersedes it? (I've been out of the market for many years, I don't know what's changed).

i thing its covid-19 supply chain problems and all normal retailers are sold out. the $1200 ones are all small time sellers that are price gauging ATM they are buying up the $450 that pop up and flipping them for $1200. best thing you can do right now is not buy these until trust master restocks to discourage this scum bag behavior

Yes, barring COVID, they are still producing AFAIK. However, they have changed the marketing and you now have to buy the base and grip separately for more total $ than it used to be for base and grip together. Better deal if you only want the F18 grip since in past you'd have had to buy the base and A10 grip combo, then the F18 grip on top of that, not so great otherwise.

Check Costco too. Every once in a while it will pop up on there, but doesn't last long (like less than the day). I procrastinated and missed out but could have got them for $529 CDN ($389USD).

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

Long time ago, I wanted to get the TM Warthog, but couldn't afford it. But back then it was going for about $USD 600 on Amazon.com.

Now I look at it, and it looks like the "official" item is out of stock, and there are some other resellers and they are all for craaaaazy prices like close to and some even over $1,000 !

Does anyone know what happened? Does TM still produce the Warthog or is there now another product that supersedes it? (I've been out of the market for many years, I don't know what's changed).

A certain new flight sim happened and joysticks are now a hot commodity.

If you're considering buying the TM Warthog HOTAS, you're entering the lower level of the high end flight gear market. Dollar for dollar, you're not going to beat the normal average $ 549.00 price point of the TM Warthog HOTAS.

Virpil is an option, but you will buying the HOTAS components ala carte. The least expensive joystick base is 189.95 Euro, the least expensive grip (joystick) is 89.95 Euro and the only throttle option is 319.95 Euro. Total minimum cost is 599.85 Euro plus shipping and can range up to 799.85 Euro plus shipping at the top end.

Winwing is another option and their HOTAS systems range from $ 799.90 to $ 947.75 on sale and from $ 1147.75 to $ 1329.65 when not on sale.

Other joystick and joystick base options are available from VKB and prices range from $ 309.00 to $ 484.00 for a joystick and a joystick base. You will need to buy a throttle from another source to assemble a complete HOTAS.

All in all, the TM Warthog HOTAS is the best value for the money considering the alternatives. If the TM Warthog HOTAS is out of your price range, Thrustmaster offers less expensive alternatives.

The challenge will be finding availability due to COVID related supply chain and production impacts and the recent release of MSFS 2020 which has dried up the world wide supply of flight gear.

I like my WH HOTAS setup. If my house burned down and I had to do it again (and in fairness I wouldn't have had the option to do it this way in the first place) I would go with the WH throttle and F-18 grip and the Virpil WarBRD base (which is my current setup - originally got the whole WH HOTAS, then bought the F18 grip when it came available and recent upgrade to Virpil base). The Virpil base is MUCH better than the WH base. Both were a nice improvement from the CH throttle and fighterstick that I had before. Tough to make a recommendation since personal preference and aircraft you fly (and $) influence it so much. You really have to read opinions/reviews and try and pick out from them which applies to you.

Flight gears are in short supply right now with the pandemic and the release of the new flightsim which is expected to generate 2.6 billion US dollars in hardware sales Alone. People are buying them up everywhere, and due to demand supply don’t expect to see any heavy discount this year.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I use the warthog and would buy it again in a heartbeat. Perhaps I'm lucky and don't have any sticktion issues but it is worlds better than any cheaper plastic alternative. Virpil and vkb review well here but in Aust the cost is prohibitive and from what I've read the springs are much lighter than the wh. Strong springs are one the best bits of the wh and I would never pay more to go back to something light.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk