Looking for PC help to return to DCS

Hi all,

I am looking for return to dcs after a long period off illness, money is a little short and I am looking for some advice on a system Spec for my custom pc got VR I hope to have built.

I was looking to go for the following sort of system:-

Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-10600K (4.1 GHz) 12 MB

CacheMotherboardASUS® ReadyMemory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 16GB)

Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!

I know there specs for a VR system on the ED but I like some views if this will give me a reasonable VR experience.

I look forward to your ideas.

Ben

Hi all,

I am looking for return to dcs after a long period off illness, money is a little short and I am looking for some advice on a system Spec for my custom pc got VR I hope to have built.

I was looking to go for the following sort of system:-

Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-10600K (4.1 GHz) 12 MB

CacheMotherboardASUS® ReadyMemory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 16GB)

Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!

I know there specs for a VR system on the ED but I like some views if this will give me a reasonable VR experience.

I look forward to your ideas.

Ben

Looks good: maybe you´ll want to upgrade your GPU in a year in order to feed a G2 headset but, right now, it´s a compensated rig.

(Of course we don´t know if the multi CPU new DCS engine will be more suited for a many core AMD machine on the same budget).

You have a hardware specific thread channel if you want it. Just scroll down and you´ll see it.

At this point of inflection on the DCS core upgrade we don´t know how many cores will be ideal to manage that new DCS engine.

AMD have much more cores than Intel when you move up in price. It´s just that DCS don´t use them right now. But that is about to change probably at the start of 2021.

And for that reason it is hard to make an advice over a future proof DCS rig.

But your configuration is good right now. (Of course a 10700K will be even better because of those 2 xtra CPU cores but you will want to be on a budget and stick on that, isn´t it?)

Ah!: and a Z490 MoBo for those intel CPUs. (You can even get DDR4 at 3200 mhz. easily on that).

Edited by Leaderface

But you allready have an SSD, PSU, etc on your own, isn´t it?

All you need is a new MoBo, CPU, GPU and memory?

Maybe if you want to upgrade later, a good AMD MoBo and a cheap AMD CPU will do the trick thinking on a Ryzen3 upgrade on 2021.

Ovbiously if you are planing your buy for a 2-3 months on advance you may be loosing your time.

Many things are about to change in a very short period of time.

PCs will loose the crown of price-performance gaming machines with the arrival of the new consoles and the Pc industry will need to react as allways. (That problem is ciclycal and appears every time a new generation of consoles born).

No I have nothing yet. I will be buying a system from scratch. I am looking to buy in October just trying to get an idea. I have a budget for my pc on its own of around £1500 at the most

An advice: By that timeframe (Oct-Nov) things will be getting hot on the AMD side.

Save money till the day you need to buy your rig and forget your config untill that very day. You will waste your time in the meantime.

Remember: this fall 2020 the PC industry is about to re-start a cicle of improvements due to the appearance of the next gen consoles. Things will be going to update very quickly.

A Pc build on October 2020 may look obsolete one year after. (You are advised).

If you can: let the dust settle down a little first. (And that includes the eagerly awaited upgrade on the DCS core).

Then build your rig.

Edited by Leaderface

No I have nothing yet. I will be buying a system from scratch. I am looking to buy in October just trying to get an idea. I have a budget for my pc on its own of around £1500 at the most

You might want to look at CEX website.

https://uk.webuy.com/

I got myself a brand new EVGA GTX 1080 11GB for £361 with a voucher in exchange of my 5500 XT, it works perfectly and is under a 2 years warranty like all the stuff they sell, they also sell processors but no motherboards, all you need is to register with them, you can sell stuff they will test thoroughly for cash or vouchers for exchange.

I went for a new MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX (MS-7B86) (AM4), it's a great board.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/b450-gaming-plus-max

I also use a SABRENT 4-port USB2 HB, my CV1 sensor and HOTAS are plugged into it, no problem there either.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-4-Port-Individual-Switches-HB-UMLS/dp/B00BWF5U0M

At the moment I'm running this PC with a AMD Ryzen 3 3200G, it is slightly under-powered and this results in a bottleneck.

What you need to do before buying is to BOUND your graphic card and CPU so as to have no bottleneck, to do this you can use this tool:

https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Ryzen_7_2700X/GeForce_GTX_1080_Ti/0Qe0XF8A/32/100/

This page is the one I used to figure which processor I'll buy next month, AMD Ryzen 7 2700 X, bound is good and there is plenty of headroom for overclocking, for cooling I have an Artic FREEZER 13 ready for use but I might now need it.

https://www.arctic.ac/en/Freezer-13/UCACO-FZ130-BL

For the memory I went for a Crucial Ballistix 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 , I'll get an extra 32GB next month too, the more RAM, the better, especially with the new DCS maps.

https://uk.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/bl2k16g32c16u4b

For power supply I have a CORSAIR CX Series™ CX750M — 750 Watt.

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/cxm-series-2015-config/p/CP-9020061-UK

So as you can see, it is possible to put something together for less money than premium top stuff, it's up to you to shop around, but make sure that everything is fully compatible.

In the order for compatibility check: PSU (amount of watts you'll need), motherboard, processor, memory.

Good luck!

1080.jpg

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

That 2400MHz RAM kit will hurt your performance. Not as bad as on AMD but you loose fps and foremost responsivness. Upgrade to some moderate 3000MHz kit, CL16 or better.

and yeah, make sure its a Z490 board or you cannot oc the CPU or use fast RAM, both would be annoying pretty soon.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

System 1:

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build 19045.4123 - Core i7 3770K/Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)/32GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 CL7-8-8-24/Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB - drivers 551.61/LG Blue Ray DL Burner/1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD/(x2)1TBMushkinRAWSSDs/2TB PNY CS900 SSD/Corsair RM750w PSU/Rosewill Mid Challenger Tower/34" LG LED Ultrawide 2560x1080p/Saitek X56 HOTAS/TrackIR 5 Pro/Thermaltake Tt esports Commander Gear Combo/Oculus Quest 2/TM 2xMFD Cougar/InateckPCIeUSB3.2KU5211-R

System 2:

Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3296 - MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US - i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi/32GB DDR5 5600mhz RAM/RTX 4060/2TB nVME SSD/4TB 2.5in SSD/650w Gold PSU