Looking for advice on getting back into DCS with a new VR system

all,

I am looking for return to dcs after a long period off illness, money is a little short and I am looking for some advice on a system Spec for my custom pc got VR I hope to have built.

I was looking to go for the following sort of system:-

Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-10600K (4.1 GHz) 12 MB

CacheMotherboardASUS® ReadyMemory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 16GB)

Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!

I know there specs for a VR system on the ED but I like some views if this will give me a reasonable VR experience.

Please bear in mind I maybe a master at photoshop but I am not great with hardware.

I look forward to your ideas.

Ben

RTX 3xxx series is going to be announce in September first i would wait and see before buying a new video card.

in general NVIDIA xx70 can do VR decently well you rely want a xx80 or xx80ti if you can save up for it. yes for VR the difference between a xx70 and xx80 is noticeable, not very noticeable for 1080p flat screen gaming

do you have a VR head set or still shopping for one?

No I have nothing at the moment but going to get a oculus rift to start as it is in my budget. I not looking for perfection but a reasonable experience that takes me beyond a flat screen. I am looking for something that plain and simply works. It may not be the best but I can fly with it. Does that make sense? I don’t have tons of money so I want something to last me two years at least.

I am happy to go with the 2070 if it works. I have to draw a line somewhere if you know I mean as in money!

rift S or quest with the link cable?

i have the CV1 im eyeing the index to buy later

running on 2 980 if i went for the 970 i would not be able to play many VR games now

still if money is tight and you want it now you should still wait at lest two more weeks and see what comes out with the RTX 3xxx the rumor and leaks are that the 3080ti will me cheaper and 30% more powerful than the 2080ti or at lest you can snag a 2080 on clearance if your quick

Before buying the Rift look at the HP Reverb 2 - it's about to come out and is the current darling on the VR review sites.

Your list above looks decent enough. Get either 3200 CL14 or 3600 CL16 RAM. That's the only change I would make from that list if you are happy with the rest of the components. I don't see the motherboard called out. Get something that does overclock and supports XMP RAM profiles. You might not need the overclock features with a 10?00 CPU initially but it's nice to have and usually has other features worth having - future-proofing.

If you can wait for the new NVIDIA cards then pick whatever has more than 8GB of VRAM that fits in your budget. I expect we'll see new AMD cards in Q4.

DCS is resource hungry. It likes fast cores and lots of RAM & VRAM, and a top of the line GPU if you can swing it.

Do some reading in this forum. There are a bunch of recent(ish) threads that discuss the latest AMD and Intel systems and have lots of good information on what to look for, what's need, what's cost effective.

HTH

Edited by reece146

I am going for the rift s as it is affordable! Money is a issue I am not able to work due to illness. I just want a workable system to start. Not looking to push the boundaries just being able to use vr and not a screen if the object!

I have £1500 for the PC and £400 for a headset. That’s what I have no more - no less. I already have hotas!

Just be aware that if you buy a Rift-S now, you will want to upgrade to a Reverb whenever you can (to fly DCS or the newcomer from microsoft).

With the Rift-S you will have all the inmersion, but half of the clarity.

I just will buy a Rift-S right now on second hand and nearing 300 $

But you will find it perfect on Half Life Alyx, The walking dead, etc. (Lots of fun indeed).

That way you can´t loose money selling it after a year of enjoyment when you upgrade. (Many people will be selling their Rift-S when the G2 will be on sale).

Edited by Leaderface

The i5-10600K is a fine low cost CPU, and is one of the best value propositions for single-thread performance.

My question is whether DCS will rewrite their code to support true multi-core, multi-threaded operation (which it DESPERATELY needs, IMHO.) If so, then you might want to look at CPU's in that general price range that have more cores.

My question is whether DCS will rewrite their code to support true multi-core, multi-threaded operation (which it DESPERATELY needs, IMHO.) If so, then you might want to look at CPU's in that general price range that have more cores.

OP, the Ryzen 3600 is a real solid CPU if you are looking for multi-core performance. It both performs better in multi-core situations and is significantly cheaper than the 10600k.

The 3700x is about the same price as the 10600k, but has an extra 2 cores and 4 threads over the 10600k, giving it significantly higher multi-core performance.

Multi-core benchmarks: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Single-core benchmarks: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Edited by OnNom

I am normally not one of those people who always promote waiting for new hardware that is "just around the corner". Its usually a matter of waiting months or weeks for announcement and release, then more waiting because the prices are absurd so just wait till the competition releases their new stuff and the price will drop ... and on and on it goes.

Having said that, right now is a particularly bad time to buy new hardware, especially Intel.

New graphics cards are very very close to being revealed, and there is a chance that because the new cards will be PCIe Gen 4 and Intel is still stuck on gen 3, that they won't be able to get the best from them.

Generational changes are always things you don't want to get stuck on the wrong side of, even if only for resale reasons and/or buying right before a big price drop.

Supposedly Nvidia is livid that they might have to use AMD systems to show the potential of their cards.

I would look for some used hardware for right now and save as much as possible for upgrades later.

At the moment its a perfect storm of inflated prices because of the pandemic, when usually prices would be dropping to clear out the stock to make way for the new. There is a high likelyhood of an i5 and 2070 ageing very rapidly for the price they command right now.

Edited by Ashcroft

i9 10900X & 5700XT

VPC WarBRD, TM F18C, VPC Alpha, VPC T50CM2 Throttle, TM TFRP Pedals, Oculus Rift S

Next gen GPUs on PCI express 3.0 will work the same as on PCI 4.0

They are not bottlenecked by the interface, that was tested many times before when the 5700XT appeared.

No difference.

PCI 4.0 will get a difference with SSDs (and not many untill new models arrive).

Next gen GPUs on PCI express 3.0 will work the same as on PCI 4.0

They are not bottlenecked by the interface, that was tested many times before when the 5700XT appeared.

No difference.

PCI 4.0 will get a difference with SSDs (and not many untill new models arrive).

What about the future? due to FS2020 i am planning on upgrading my CPU on very fast schedule. AMD has PCI4.0 support, and while i am pretty certain that Nvidia ampere do not benefit that, but i am planning to continue to upgrade only GPU every 2. generations. So like with this CPU, it had 770 first now 1070, for the next one i'll go with say 3070 and in 3-4 years go for 5070 or similar. And it would be really sad if pci 3.0 would bottleneck 5070.

AMD has superior multicore performance, but Intel atm is king what it comes to DCS/FS2020 i believe. But are things going to change? Is Ryzen 9 generally as good as intel in real life for DCS and FS2020?

I´m not sure yet, but people are reporting all CPU cores stressed on MS FS2020

On a multicore scenary you can jump on the new Ryzen3 when available.

MSFS2020 is on the DirectX11 API and only uses 4 cores. It CPU bottlenecks the top 4-5 GPUs with an AMD 3950X depending on resolution and settings.

I haven't seen anyone run a benchmark comparing hyperthreading/SMT on and off. So it's "multithreading" capabilities are unknown AFAIK. I'd test it real quick but don't own it.

XXX sry wrong topic.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

MSFS2020 is on the DirectX11 API and only uses 4 cores. It CPU bottlenecks the top 4-5 GPUs with an AMD 3950X depending on resolution and settings.

I haven't seen anyone run a benchmark comparing hyperthreading/SMT on and off. So it's "multithreading" capabilities are unknown AFAIK. I'd test it real quick but don't own it.

Wait a minute: You can do all those weather and clouds with DX11?

I thought Microsoft were selling the game with DX12 ultimate as reference....

So clouds on DCS are what they are because lack of improvements and not for the lack of Vulkan.... Interesting.