How do I use the SLAM?

SniperRu

I just tried SLAMs for the first time and it is quite a disappointment.

* First missile launched, well within range, flies at a high AoA and ends up falling into the sea far away from the target (TOO set by TPOD)

* Second missile flies all the way to the target but does not dive towards it, making it extremely hard to direct with the DL pod

* The IR video feed is horribly dark (same issue as IR mavericks) which make it impossible to find the target

See attached track

Am I missing something? or is this bugged?

F-18_Bugs_SLAM.trk

Maybe your speed at the first missile launch was too low (~230 KIAS) so the SLAM may ran out of energy and didn't reach the target area. Second missile was fired at a much higher speed (~400 KIAS) and reached its area.

I used the SLAM only with WPDSG so far, but using the TGP for target assignment shouldn't be the reason for your issue.

* The IR video feed is horribly dark (same issue as IR mavericks) which make it impossible to find the target

That's a bug, which is already reported.
Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

It works. I did all my testing using waypoints though. I found the IIR image to be heavily dependent on direction like sunlight was a significant factor. Looking from two angles only 30 degrees apart looked like night vs day.

I am doing the same thing with a waypoint (at altitude 0) designated as the target. The SLAM just won't dive...

and my IR feed is consistently bad, even at night.

Maybe your speed at the first missile launch was too low (~230 KIAS) so the SLAM may ran out of energy and didn't reach the target area.

I thought that the SLAM was showing a dynamic launch zone like the JSOW, so when I saw on the HSI that I was well in range I thought it would be no problem. Am I mistaken?

They are not bugged. I have practiced launching about 30 of them in the past week in both TOO (using FLIR) and PP with coordinates. They work and I get the video terminal guidance. I watched the Wags video before I practiced to get the process down.

Were you holding TDC depress while slewing? I took control over your track and was able to steer the SLAM. Yeah IR picture can look bad.

That solves it... I feel stupid. Thanks for the help everyone!

now only the Potato quality IR video feed left to fix, too bad it didn't make it in today's update

That solves it... I feel stupid. Thanks for the help everyone!
:thumbup:

now only the Potato quality IR video feed left to fix, too bad it didn't make it in today's update
Yeah! I hope, that we don't have to wait another month to get this sensor issue fixed.

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H