F-14A on the 19th? *wink, wink, nudge nudge*

Southernbear

The Final Countdown was filmed in 1979, never saw one glove vane. Case dismissed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have photos of Tomcats from the mid-1990s with the vanes still active, so, just because you didn't see them in a movie doesn't mean the system wasn't there. It means they weren't ever flying fast enough for them to program out, or the pilot didn't select them out for the sequences filmed. There's actually a good number of photos from the 1980s with the vanes rolled out and a few from the 1990s. Be that as it may, Heatblur has said it's going to be an F-14 with the vanes inactivated, so the whole thing is a moot conversation.

Rig: i9 10900KF @5.3GHz | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3090 24GB OC | ASUS Maximus XII Formula | 2x 2TB Intel SSD6 NVMe M.2 | VKB F-14CG on Gunfighter III Base | TM Warthog HOTAS | TM Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

Hangar: FC3 | F-86F | F-4E [Pre-Ordered] | F-5E | F-14A/B | F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | Mirage 2000C | JF-17 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P | MiG-21bis | AJS-37 | AV-8B | L39 | C-101 | A-10C/CII | Yak-52 | P-51D | P-47D | Fw 190 A-8/D-9 | Bf 109 | Spitfire | I-16 | UH-1 Huey

It would appear people have lost what the smiley face means anymore.

Fun fact, that shot of the cat with glove vanes out in Top Gun is a model shot.

Edited by LASooner

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD

I would have liked to see an early model the glove vanes.

I don't really get the rationale in doing an A that is more or less contemporary with the B we already have. They are barely contemporary with the Forrestal class carriers.

I would have liked to see an early model the glove vanes.

I don't really get the rationale in doing an A that is more or less contemporary with the B we already have. They are barely contemporary with the Forrestal class carriers.

I have the same opinion as you. The emblematic F-14A is the early variant from the 1970s and early 80s. Its iconic, and offers the option for 70s classic cold war missions.

I absolutely get the rationale. The F-14A we are getting provides an A-model with the most mission flexibility, representing the A-model at its best stage. The external difference between an F-14A from the mid 1990s and mid 1980s is small; ECM blisters, TACAN antenna, and gun gas vents. It can still get away with wearing those "iconic" old hotrod liveries and all you're going to lose out on is the extra FM work from the glove vanes, which the Navy eventually decided weren't worthwhile and bolted shut. It's still an exceptional air-to-air platform and will fit just fine into 1970s and 1980s scenarios so long as you don't put PGMs on it.

Heatblur probably chose this route because it provides the maximum number of players with something that they'll enjoy, vs. limiting it to one role.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

Probably more because it's the least amount of overlap and get two for the price of one as much as anything.

Not sure I'd agree that the vanes did nothing. Grumman seemed to think they were most effective at supersonic flight enough that their shape was going to be included "extended" in the ST21 and for some more fuel storage. Obviously there was a trade off in complexity, though the anecdotes of pilots figuring out they were useful to some degree in subsonic flight that they were forcing them open (and causing damage?) is interesting, too.

Would have been nice to have gotten an early F-14A and late F-14B(U) for more differentiation between the two. Would love to have them all, of course though the F-14D is highest on my list and would gladly buy that separately.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

In my opinion the B should have been done with the Sparrowhawk HUD to provide enough differentiation between the A and B. Would not make me want the D so much for something different.

But the B didn't have that system correct?

[sigpic][/sigpic]

US Air Force Retired, 1C371

No rank or title will ever be as important as the unit patch you wear.

But the B didn't have that system correct?

The "B" was the only one that got it; the F-14D had its own HUD, I think by Kaiser. The SparrowHawk was one of the systems installed into the F-14B (B-Upgrade) during the late 1990s-early 2000s along with the PTID, databus, etc.

EDIT: The F-14D HUD was the Kaiser Aerospace AN/AVG-12.

Edited by Quid
Info update

Rig: i9 10900KF @5.3GHz | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3090 24GB OC | ASUS Maximus XII Formula | 2x 2TB Intel SSD6 NVMe M.2 | VKB F-14CG on Gunfighter III Base | TM Warthog HOTAS | TM Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

Hangar: FC3 | F-86F | F-4E [Pre-Ordered] | F-5E | F-14A/B | F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | Mirage 2000C | JF-17 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P | MiG-21bis | AJS-37 | AV-8B | L39 | C-101 | A-10C/CII | Yak-52 | P-51D | P-47D | Fw 190 A-8/D-9 | Bf 109 | Spitfire | I-16 | UH-1 Huey

The "B" was the only one that got it; the F-14D had its own HUD, I think by Kaiser. The SparrowHawk was one of the systems installed into the F-14B (B-Upgrade) during the late 1990s-early 2000s along with the PTID, databus, etc.

Off to do some research....thanks.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

I absolutely get the rationale. The F-14A we are getting provides an A-model with the most mission flexibility, representing the A-model at its best stage. The external difference between an F-14A from the mid 1990s and mid 1980s is small; ECM blisters, TACAN antenna, and gun gas vents. It can still get away with wearing those "iconic" old hotrod liveries and all you're going to lose out on is the extra FM work from the glove vanes, which the Navy eventually decided weren't worthwhile and bolted shut. It's still an exceptional air-to-air platform and will fit just fine into 1970s and 1980s scenarios so long as you don't put PGMs on it.

Heatblur probably chose this route because it provides the maximum number of players with something that they'll enjoy, vs. limiting it to one role.

The thing is they didn't make the best or latest B model. So it's more like they have chosen the variants with the most amount of overlap. That's fine, but it's not what I hoped for.

If glove vanes are useless, what good are liveries? And would it really be so bad to put those old liveries on the B?

The glove vanes are a cool feature that the A had, but the B and D didn't. Now all the A has is worse engines. I think I'll stick to the B, which is a great product.

...all you're going to lose out on is the extra FM work from the glove vanes, which the Navy eventually decided weren't worthwhile and bolted shut...

Yeah, same with TF-30, but we still want them.

We get what we get - seems everything has been decided already but imho it would be best to have older variant - the older the better.

70's ftw:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=240269

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Yeah, same with TF-30, but we still want them.

We get what we get - seems everything has been decided already but imho it would be best to have older variant - the older the better.

70's ftw:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=240269

I'm in the opposite camp. I'd rather have the F-14A with the maximum capability they'd have documentation for, because aside from some small, mostly aesthetic details (when it comes to DCS) nobody loses anything this way. And the version we're getting actually satisfies 100% of that poll.

Edited by Swordsman422

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

Aesthetically wise, I will be glad with the TF-30 exhaust cans; and if possible in the cockpit, the flashing engine STALL lights in the HUD frame would be great also...

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Aesthetically wise, I will be glad with the TF-30 exhaust cans; and if possible in the cockpit, the flashing engine STALL lights in the HUD frame would be great also...

I think with the completed F-14A cockpit we might get those lights. How often they should be flashing is a matter of opinion, but according to Victory205, not that often thankfully, LOL.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

I think with the completed F-14A cockpit we might get those lights. How often they should be flashing is a matter of opinion, but according to Victory205, not that often thankfully, LOL.

Sure, and although I'm mentioning them, I really don't know in exactly what circumstances they should start flashing.

Only remember them from another old sim, where they would start flashing everytime the F-14 started falling from its flight path because of low airspeed.

Even though it was a "light sim", enjoyed these kind of details a lot as added to the Tomcat's 'character' and increased the immersion feeling also.

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

They're already there in the B.

I believe they are there yes, but what's necessary to see them light up ?

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

I believe they are there yes, but what's necessary to see them light up ?

If it's a mid-90's Tomcat, those will absolutely be there as they are on the B. They were introduced in 1982 (so, an Iranian Tomcat wouldn't have them, but I'm guessing HB isn't going to remodel the cockpit for that, and frankly I don't care). As to how it activates, paraphrasing the NATOPS, the system has two feeds per engine: ratio of TIT/N (turbine inlet temperature/compressor rotor speed) compared to a preset value, and an over-temperature condition exceeding 1215+/-15 degrees Celsius (for the TF-30).

If either condition is met, the STALL warning light of the affected engine located on the side of the HUD flashes at 3 Hz until the condition is cleared. The stall warning tone is activated through the pilot's intercom for up to 10 seconds. The system may activate during ground starts or air starts.

I've actually gotten one to light up in the F-14B, but I don't remember hearing a tone with it. This was over a year ago when I was first testing out the Tomcat and was intentionally trying to spin it, so a lot of dumb stuff no one would ever do in real life. The right STALL warning light lit up very briefly, then cleared.

Edited by Quid
Grammar/information amplification

I really don't know in exactly what circumstances they should start flashing.

I saw thing movie once with F-14s.....and...Ill shut up. I couldn't resist. :D

[sigpic][/sigpic]

I saw thing movie once with F-14s.....and...Ill shut up. I couldn't resist. :D

...those are another kind of 'businesses'. :thumbup:

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

The only place I got a stall light was waiting behind the JBD with an F14 in full blower on the cat.

The TIT's would slowly rise to an overtemp condition, the stall warning lights would both go off until the jet in front launched. Then the TIT's would fall back into the normal range, and the lights would stop. This happened every single time in this situation.

First time it happened to me, it was like, jeesh, is this jet down for a dual engine change now? Nope, we're going flying.

Viewpoints are my own.

After the week I've had I'm hunting me a bottle of Glengoyne 15 year.

Oh yes, that's realy a good one. My all time favorite is Oban 14, but just opened a "one of 261 bottles" Glen Keith 20 last weekend. Shame on me, i know. But i don't regret.

As for the Tomcat, i'm realy looking forward to the A-Model and the Forrestal. Keep up the great work HB!

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2