Oculus to begin the merge with Facebook

dburne

Guess the writing was on the wall on this.

Today, we’re announcing some important updates to how people log into Oculus devices, while still keeping their VR profile. Starting in October 2020:

Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

If you’re an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you’ll have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts.

If you’re an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/92239/facebook-account-required-for-new-oculus-hmd-users-oct-2020-existing-users-can-wait-to-jan-2023#latest

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

:mad:

welp time to get on the waiting list for an index

LOL I have a Reverb G2 on pre-order.

Hoping it fills the bill for me. I just really hope it is an rock solid as my Rift S.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have held onto my Rift CV1 because its still useful for a lot of things. Having to get a Facebook account to continue using it? I'll miss my CV1, and Oculus products will never be in my home again.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

What a ridiculous trend ... this is hardware, why the heck should I need an account to use it? It's like I purchased a car and its manufacturer forced me to have an account with them in order to drive it.

Oculus is the last on a pretty long line of greedy manufacturers that want to control their customers: Apple, Microsoft, nVidia, Google and now Oculus/FB :(

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I am glad that I got out from under that early on... Facebook account... yikes.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Facebook is at the top of the heap for illegal NSA information quarries without FISA approval. Any and all information you post there (whether hidden to the public or not) is freely open to the operators of the NSA and stored in several massive data collection facilities around and outside the country.

Perhaps my age is showing but I despise social media connections on almost any app for which that is not its prime purpose. I can understand offering Instagram links for the Zoom app, but do I wish to create one for my Nvidia graphics card drivers?, ..... I don't $#%$#@! think so.

+1 to all of that. I know for a fact that Facebook goes even further than that, and they use your e-mail address to invade your contact list. They do that in the interest of "making it easier" to locate family and friends on Facebook. I never gave them permission to do that, and I gave them no personally-identifying information when signing up once to test the security of a friend's private Facebook account. Yet, within days, I was getting phony "friend requests" via e-mail from people in my family. None of them, BTW, actually sent those requests, and said "I didn't even know you had a Facebook account." Somehow that all happened without a single, real piece of information shared by me with Facebook when I set up that test account.

I think my age is showing too, since I grew up using computers LONG before they were considered "cool", so I know how easily they can be manipulated for all kinds of purposes, including evil.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Good thing my Facebook account was deleted years ago, I'm certainly not going to link to it in any way.

My Oculus is my first VR set, but as soon as I can afford a Valve Index or something with the same specs, I'm gone.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Off topic but have you wondered how Alexa activates with voice? It needs to be listening all the time in order to recognize "Alexa". Same with "Okay Google" and "Siri" on your phone. Cortana also listens to you on your computer. Everyone's listening to everything we always say.

Screw that! A FB account to use Oculus? No way! Glad I've got a G2 on order as well.

Good to see you have 2 years to hold out prior....

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Yeah , same .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

The rumor was enough for me to order a Vive Cosmos

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Off topic but have you wondered how Alexa activates with voice? It needs to be listening all the time in order to recognize "Alexa". Same with "Okay Google" and "Siri" on your phone. Cortana also listens to you on your computer. Everyone's listening to everything we always say.

Yup. That's why I don't use any of those things. Anything that is voice controlled, I disable. If it ever becomes too hard for me to push a button or turn a knob, I'll need to re-think how I'm approaching things.

I have an Android phone that I use as a phone, camera, and GPS signal tester, and that's about it. No texting, no e-mailing, no social media from such a vulnerable device for me. Besides, if I wanted to take 3 hours to text about something that could be taken care of with a 10 second phone call, I'd have to develop a pretty serious stutter to make the texting option make any sense at all.

Yup. That's why I don't use any of those things. Anything that is voice controlled, I disable. If it ever becomes too hard for me to push a button or turn a knob, I'll need to re-think how I'm approaching things.

I have an Android phone that I use as a phone, camera, and GPS signal tester, and that's about it. No texting, no e-mailing, no social media from such a vulnerable device for me. Besides, if I wanted to take 3 hours to text about something that could be taken care of with a 10 second phone call, I'd have to develop a pretty serious stutter to make the texting option make any sense at all.

LOL I remember back when texting first started, I though this will go nowhere as it is just so much easier to talk on the phone than composing a text.

Now look at it. I have family members that only text, rarely voice call.

Don B

I do do not think anyone is wondering that as it is common knowledge.

If you’re an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

Cool, in 2 years i'll be looking for another headset then (since i don't have a "smoelenboek" account and have no plans on getting one.

But wait... isn't Steam then the only other option ... :cry:

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I don't get it what is the problem with FB account requirment. Why not have account and use it only for logins? You should not be using Facebook for anything meaningful anyways

Then go right ahead and sign up for it. It is your choice to do so. :thumbup:

Guys seriously - I have to see all this political nonsense all over the news every day, I really don't want to be seeing it now here too in one of my beloved combat flight sim's forums.

Don B

• ED Team

Hi all

please keep politics out of the discussion

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I don't get it what is the problem with FB account requirment. Why not have account and use it only for logins? You should not be using Facebook for anything meaningful anyways

Hi, because we are in the same thread, please send me your phone number, your official address, your bank account numbers, all your passwords you've ever used, your email and password, your resume/CV, your medical history, your complete sexual history with names and addresses and fakebook links, and the key identifier so I can get a spare key to your residence! Please make sure to blackmail yourself by providing any compromising and incriminating evidence or stories. I appreciate your support! Don't worry, I won't ask you to do anything meaningful in this thread!

:music_whistling:

(joking!!)

The problem? Some of us want NOTHING to do with companies like facebook. It's really bad enough that they get cell companies to install their apps on phones BEFORE you buy them, and everyone in industry just assumes that because I bought a phone, that I totally consent to giving FB every scrap of information about me. I do not.

Edited by Rick50

Well I guess I view this new requirement as a two edged sword really.

Facebook wants to completely integrate their VR into the Facebook platform. Facebook is all about collecting data and using that for targeting advertising. Like them or not, Facebook is huge. They are after much bigger numbers than what standard PC-VR gamers can give them. They want to integrate VR into Facebook to grow the VR platform by indoctrinating VR into the social media part of the platform.

I think they are going after this with mobile device, like the Quest. I anticipate we will see an announcement on a new Quest soon, which being a new device will be tied to the Facebook platform. Now with all the revenue they hope to generate from that, they can certainly supplement the cost of VR development which hopefully means more attractively priced VR headsets.

Don't know really where this might leave dedicated PC-VR gamers such as ourselves. I think this move will likely be good for the VR industry overall and help insure continued growth of VR. For what we do here though, I expect more will be doing like I recently did and look to other headsets dedicated more to the PC-VR experience. Which is why I have a Reverb G2 on pre-order.

I guess more will likely be revealed at Oculus Connect 7 , which will be digital only and held sometime later this year.

Don B