What next after Syria map?

YoYo

I think a good way for ED and their partners to go would be to produce the technology to join the maps.

For instance, Ugra could do Iraq next and those who bought Syria and Iraq could fly seamlessly between the two.  Perhaps via a triggered buffer zone that starts loading the next map into RAM as you cross it.  That way you only have one map loaded at a time.  The buffer zone only needs to be maybe a couple of minutes flying time across.

The map makers get their ongoing income stream and we get an ever expanding and super detailed world.

I don't think the scattergun approach is the best way.

In the same way, ED could finish the Marianas, then do the Philippines and onto Thailand / Vietnam and join those together.  Or do Vietnam as the next major and eagerly awaited one and then join them with the Philippines.

I think ED really needs to develop a standardised technology that allows maps to be joined.

Its a win win situation, but the map makers will need to commit to one area of the globe.

Other opinions are available....

Edited by Tinkickef
  • Like 1

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

My pick for DCS in no order.

1. Vietnam
2. Afghanistan (Helmand/Kandahar)
3. Iraq/Northern Gulf (inc Qatar, Bahrain, Dharan). 
4. Balkans
5. Libya
6. Korea

-----------------------------------------------

Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700 (3.4GHz) 8MB Cache | 32GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz | MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR 8G |SSD 1TB 970 EVO Plus M.2

1 hour ago, TheTrooper said:

1. Vietnam
4. Balkans
5. Libya
6. Korea

Iraq/Nothern Gulf is what should have been made instead of PG imo, though with Al Dhafra in there

• Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Arctic

• Like 1

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Iraq/Nothern Gulf is what should have been made instead of PG imo, though with Al Dhafra in there
Not my favourite, but I agree with your point!

For me
Somewhere in Europa
Nam
Korea
With corresponding assets/modules

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheTrooper said:

1. Vietnam
4. Balkans
5. Libya
6. Korea

Consider that map size is a major factor.

Syria map is roughly 500km by 500km (might be off a bit now with Cyprus)

Vietnam is about 1600km from top to bottom, although not all that wide. Just Saigon to Hanoi is 1170km . Considering that Vietnam has billions of trees to render, is quite hilly and mountainous, that will add significantly to the computer's ability to process and render. However, maybe making two separate maps, South and North, and then in distant future combine the two when PC's don't choke on it, good idea. This would enable long range missions to Hanoi for Phantoms and other heavy fast air. while also giving things to do for the Huey rotorheads in the South!

Kabul is 450km from Khandahar. The whole nation of Afghanistan would fit in a 900 x 900 km box. So... large-ish, but by the time such a map is ready for public testing, it could be manageable by people's game boxes by then.

Kuwait city to Mosul is 900km alone. Including nations other than Kuwait to an Iraq map becomes quite large. See the Afghanistan map

Libya is 1500km by 1500km. Really quite large area, might have to wait for new tech.

Korea is a more manageable 1000km from the top of North Korea to the southern tip of South Korea. But... this becomes more realistic if you only pick the center, where we'd expect a war to actually occur. Massive amounts of terrain details though, lots of trees, lots of huge urban areas to render. 

All these proposals are interesting and of value for this kind of game... but the terrain sizes you wish for are beyond what DCS can do with good framerates in 2021.  Thing is, any such projects started today will likely take 2 years to complete anyway, and by then, DCS players will have more computing power to play with. Unless krypto kills gaming dead...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rick50 said:

Consider that map size is a major factor.

Syria map is roughly 500km by 500km (might be off a bit now with Cyprus)

Vietnam is about 1600km from top to bottom, although not all that wide. Just Saigon to Hanoi is 1170km . Considering that Vietnam has billions of trees to render, is quite hilly and mountainous, that will add significantly to the computer's ability to process and render. However, maybe making two separate maps, South and North, and then in distant future combine the two when PC's don't choke on it, good idea. This would enable long range missions to Hanoi for Phantoms and other heavy fast air. while also giving things to do for the Huey rotorheads in the South!

Kabul is 450km from Khandahar. The whole nation of Afghanistan would fit in a 900 x 900 km box. So... large-ish, but by the time such a map is ready for public testing, it could be manageable by people's game boxes by then.

Kuwait city to Mosul is 900km alone. Including nations other than Kuwait to an Iraq map becomes quite large. See the Afghanistan map

Libya is 1500km by 1500km. Really quite large area, might have to wait for new tech.

Korea is a more manageable 1000km from the top of North Korea to the southern tip of South Korea. But... this becomes more realistic if you only pick the center, where we'd expect a war to actually occur. Massive amounts of terrain details though, lots of trees, lots of huge urban areas to render. 

All these proposals are interesting and of value for this kind of game... but the terrain sizes you wish for are beyond what DCS can do with good framerates in 2021.  Thing is, any such projects started today will likely take 2 years to complete anyway, and by then, DCS players will have more computing power to play with. Unless krypto kills gaming dead...

Completely agree with your points. I wouldnt expect a whole country such as Vietnam or Libya lol. Just some ocean and some land would be enough.

-----------------------------------------------

Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700 (3.4GHz) 8MB Cache | 32GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz | MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR 8G |SSD 1TB 970 EVO Plus M.2

14 hours ago, Rick50 said:

Considering that Vietnam has billions of trees to render, is quite hilly and mountainous, that will add significantly to the computer's ability to process and render. However, maybe making two separate maps, South and North, and then in distant future combine the two when PC's don't choke on it, good idea. This would enable long range missions to Hanoi for Phantoms and other heavy fast air. while also giving things to do for the Huey rotorheads in the South!

Splitting the maps is probably the easiest solution. It think, however, that just using dumbed down "indiscriminate jungle canopy" objects might cover the largest part of the area and that jungle-canopy might only be interesting to be broken down into single treas in areas where actual targets might be (e.g. HCM Trail, around settlements/ towns, etc).

Also,  it's not just Vietnam, but there's also importance in Cambodia, Laos and significant portions of Thailnd for simulating those Thud-raids.

One day, hopefully...

• Like 2

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing their newly announced IL2:GB# C-47 into DCS, if it is the same Ugra Media, would be a nice what's next IMO.

• Like 2

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

2 hours ago, Baaz said:

Please... NO MORE SAND.   ANYTHING, but sand.  At this point I'd be happy with a full ocean map than more sand.

I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth....

😁

But yes, I agree, enough sand dunes for now, let's see about getting some grass, some trees and maybe We want... a shrubbery!

• Like 5

On 5/18/2021 at 4:06 AM, Bremspropeller said:

Splitting the maps is probably the easiest solution. It think, however, that just using dumbed down "indiscriminate jungle canopy" objects might cover the largest part of the area and that jungle-canopy might only be interesting to be broken down into single treas in areas where actual targets might be (e.g. HCM Trail, around settlements/ towns, etc).

Also,  it's not just Vietnam, but there's also importance in Cambodia, Laos and significant portions of Thailnd for simulating those Thud-raids.

One day, hopefully...

Yes, agreed. Not sure how it would work, but things like this have been done before, and with newer tech, fancier tools, it's not just doable, but likely the best way to do this. Also agreed on it's neighboring nations too, as you say, important for that conflict for several reasons.

I think one major things that's needed from ED, is perhaps development of new advanced tools to actually MAKE new maps quicker and easier. I've no idea what's in place, so take this with a truckload of salt. But if an awesome tool could be made to help speed up the seemingly labor intensive nature of DCS map making, that could go a VERY long way to helping to ensure the long term viablity of DCS world and it's many modules!

Maybe a simplified tool for amateur freeware terrain mod makers too... 

• Like 1

Always thought the Aegean going hot would be an interesting area.

• Like 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

These would be my choices:

1. Korean peninsula, from slightly north of the Yalu river down to northern part of Japan. This realestate has been fought over (as far as DCS World is concerned) from WWII through the Korean War and quite possibly again in the not too distant future.

2. Vietnam (Indo China). Again, WWII and the Vietnam war from early 50's (France) then 60's through mid 70's.

3. The Solomon Islands to include New Britain.

• Like 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 5/27/2021 at 12:54 AM, Baaz said:

Please... NO MORE SAND.   ANYTHING, but sand.  At this point I'd be happy with a full ocean map than more sand.

I believe Marianas islands aren't sand. Beaches though… 😅

S!

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• 3 weeks later...

I guess this thread has become a wishlist section so here's mine: cold War Germany. Don't know exactly what location but I do know that the red side is looking good right now: MI-8, Mi-24, mig21, upcoming mig23 and ff mig29.

Perhaps if the blue side were to get an F4 or tornados, it would already have the uh-1 and it'll already be pretty good aircraft wise. 

Another wish would be the Vietnam map, in my eyes it would fit so perfectly if the F4 (and perhaps the f104, f105 and others down the line) was added. Still very good at the moment, I believe it is near complete aircraft wise on the red side and the blue side would be missing the F4 but we've already got the huey and f5 (and the f14 if you consider it has flown during the Vietnam War). 

I guess those two popular maps (from my point of view) would really benefit from an F4 module.

Another great map would be Afghanistan map during the soviet invasion. 

All the red air is basically here, it would be awesome for historical scenarios. 

• Like 1

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

• 2 weeks later...

Before a new map I just really hope they will go back and fix Normandy 🙂

After that Africa would be great! 

• Like 3

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

• 4 weeks later...

Thinking a map that covers Israel, parts of Jordan, parts of Egypt... one that eventually might be "bolted to" the Syria map!  Why?  Because the Six-Day War of 1967, Yom Kippur War of 1973, because Migs Vs. Mirage, because history, because having a larger map by combining two, is a good long term goal! Also get the Mediteranean waters too.

So using the same map size as Syria as a theoretical template (about 550km by 550km), the Egypt map would include all of Israel and Sinai, and would stretch from a little west of Cairo to just a little east of Amman, allowing for vast contested areas, three capitol cities, and even include the beautiful Jordanian desert mountain region around Petra and Wadi-Rum. I'm not sure how many airbases this map would exclude from Jordanian and Egyptians, but I have to think there must be a few near those two capitol cities.

If that's not super practical, then maybe it could be increased in width and decreased in length, say maybe 380km, from Haifa to Eliat, and that would still keep a little bit of the Gulf of Suez. Then, it could be widened from Alexandria, to about halfways into Jordan, right by the Saudi border near Kaf or Al Hadditha. That might be better geometry, and still keep most of Israel/Sinai. 

That said I still want the Nordic region and the two Koreas!

Edit:

I'd love to have some Mirage III's for such a map... all gleaming in polished aluminum!

Edited by Rick50
  • Like 3