What next after Syria map?

YoYo

• 2 weeks later...

1. Improve the Normandy map, I have yet to place it into my collection mainly because it is kinda "dated"; and

2. I like to idea of "North Africa" which includes western Egypt, Cyrenaica and all the way to Tripoli, and the area has historical significance in both WW2 and modern times. I would also include Crete, Tunisia and may be Sicily.

If you include Korea, I am afraid the game may be banned in Korea. 😉

Edited by VFGiPJP
  • Like 2

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

• 4 months later...

Any interest in finishing the nttr map?  Seems odd we have like tonopah airport (much as I love tonopah) but not Fallon... There are vets playing DCS who flew outa there, and a lot of people simming navy jets.. 

My second choice would be Vietnam. I favor Hanoi area ( liked Flight of Intruder even more than Top Gun personally)

• Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

1 hour ago, DeltaMike said:

Any interest in finishing the nttr map?  Seems odd we have like tonopah airport (much as I love tonopah) but not Fallon... There are vets playing DCS who flew outa there, and a lot of people simming navy jets.. 

Would love to see Nevada get an update and brought up a notch or two. I fly that map a ton.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Off-topic: I am happy with NTTR for what it is, except the plants there do not look right.

On-topic: I dunno what the status but I think the Syria map can get a bit more optimisation.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

20 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

NTTR has feature complete, and I start to think, ED dont go to build more maps meanwhile working on the "Whole World" technology.

Well I won't complain if we get the whole world. And I really like the Nevada map, I suppose I would just like it to be up at Syria standards.  But then I guess that's just wishlist stuff.

But the whole world you say... 🤔

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

10 hours ago, Beirut said:

Well I won't complain if we get the whole world. And I really like the Nevada map, I suppose I would just like it to be up at Syria standards.  But then I guess that's just wishlist stuff.

But the whole world you say... 🤔

Well, ED says they are starting work to attempt to bring us the whole world. But it's a long ways off in future, don't hold your breath, and it seems they aren't totally sure. Might be 5 years, might be much longer. But they have run a few tests, and are sure it's worth the attempt. 

BUT... if it works well... this could be GLORIOUS!! 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 6:48 AM, Silver_Dragon said:

NTTR has feature complete, and I start to think, ED dont go to build more maps meanwhile working on the "Whole World" technology.

Wags hinted they might let a third party take it over. 

It's not a popular map, would need support from the community to set up some meaningful MP scenarios.  It's been done, I had the privilege of working in a flight school based on that map a while back.  Heavily Navy oriented, which is why I was asking.  A training  map, by nature; but surely there's some interest in that.  And sight-seeing; it's a striking landscape irl and with cosmetic upgrades at the level we've come to expect from Ugra I imagine it would be something to see.  Being 80% done already shouldn't hurt anything. 

Edited by DeltaMike
  • Like 2

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

• 1 month later...

Why is there no Korea 1953 map?

Why is there no Vietnam 1975 map?

Scandinavia with parts of Russia.

Mongolia with parts of Russia & China.

Yugoslavia 1990 or Africa 19idk.

One thing is sure, this game needs a hell more maps and full fidelity aircrafts.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CouX said:

One thing is sure, this game needs a hell more maps and full fidelity aircrafts.

Lol. And we’d all need ma-hoosive hard disks 🤣

• Like 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

4 hours ago, CouX said:

This ain't War Thunder or Ace Combat where stuff just needs to look roughly like the real thing..

You do realize that ED and it's 3rd parties are not as big as EA, Ubisoft, Microsoft, etc.. Creating one "full fidelity" module takes them about as much time as developing an entire AAA game does for the mentioned giant game developers..

Forgive my spicy response, but perhaps you should take some more time to get to know DCS and the way things work here, before telling everyone what DCS "needs" 😅

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

i noticed something the other day. i am a pancake pilot and screenshots of 3440x1440 of syria are nearly 10 mbs. screenshots from other maps are not that large. i am guessing this is because the syria textures are a lot better. not a problem really. just noting it.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

46 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

i noticed something the other day. i am a pancake pilot and screenshots of 3440x1440 of syria are nearly 10 mbs. screenshots from other maps are not that large. i am guessing this is because the syria textures are a lot better. not a problem really. just noting it.

hmm.. would that perhaps also clarify the extreme memory usage of the Syria map? (also guessing here... as the 00110100111 world is mostly magic to me)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

vor 2 Stunden schrieb sirrah:

This ain't War Thunder or Ace Combat where stuff just needs to look roughly like the real thing..

You do realize that ED and it's 3rd parties are not as big as EA, Ubisoft, Microsoft, etc.. Creating one "full fidelity" module takes them about as much time as developing an entire AAA game does for the mentioned giant game developers..

Forgive my spicy response, but perhaps you should take some more time to get to know DCS and the way things work here, before telling everyone what DCS "needs" 😅

Its just what i think is the worst about maps in DCS, i really like that you get for free the Marianas map but it looks like they are ignoring since years now the frequently asked Korea and Vietnam theater like IL-2 devs ignoring the Pacific theater, when i tryed DCS the first time some years ago i found alot discussions from this forum, Steam, reddit and so on where ppl asked for this theaters and so far i remember the devs never responded to them, its a bit strange to notice after so many years that there are still no Korea and Vietnam maps meanwhile the planes already exist since years.

1 hour ago, sirrah said:

hmm.. would that perhaps also clarify the extreme memory usage of the Syria map? (also guessing here... as the 00110100111 world is mostly magic to me)

that's my bet too. it is really pretty though.

35 minutes ago, CouX said:

Its just what i think is the worst about maps in DCS, i really like that you get for free the Marianas map but it looks like they are ignoring since years now the frequently asked Korea and Vietnam theater like IL-2 devs ignoring the Pacific theater, when i tryed DCS the first time some years ago i found alot discussions from this forum, Steam, reddit and so on where ppl asked for this theaters and so far i remember the devs never responded to them, its a bit strange to notice after so many years that there are still no Korea and Vietnam maps meanwhile the planes already exist since years.

i have been a DCS owner for a long time and i have realized something. the devs hear all the hype about things from wishlist and start doing it secretly. this avoids the villagers with the pitch forks and flaming torches showing up to complain.. then when it gets traction, they start leaking info. which generates more hype. which gets into WIP and there you have it. Ala the Phantom. i would not be surprised at more maps showing up. falklands map is close which could be a stop gap. at least something new.

• Like 2

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Syria map is the most complex, most varied and the most beautiful map of all, may be except the Caucasus map. It made me regret buying the PG map in the first place. As for the Marianas, I think it was out less than a year and it is far from optimised, so we shall wait and see.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/17/2022 at 8:50 AM, CouX said:

...but it looks like they are ignoring since years now the frequently asked Korea and Vietnam theater like IL-2 devs ignoring the Pacific theater,...

I don't see it as "ignoring".  I'd bet real money that the devs themselves WANT the maps you listed !! 

But this isn't "War Blunder". It's not simple AI, with semi-fictional vehicles playing "air quake"...  the textures in DCS are high quality, the vehicles are high poly's, high textures, the terrains match the real world. On occasion, screenshots look so good as to confuse if it's a picture of the real world. The systems are real, the weapons behave realistically. The fire control systems work as the real ones do. And the maps are HUGE, in both area modelled, object count, poly's represented, and massive textures. Also, teams that make maps are tiny, probably just a few people in some cases.

Why is that all relevant?  Because it means that making just ONE map takes 2-4 years, depending on the scale of the project. It's a slow laborious process. The results speak for themselves, just look at anything on the Syria map for proof of that! 

There's probably a technical reason why we haven't seen Vietnam maps yet as well: the billion palm trees, the high population density and the houses they have, the varied terrains... I bet a map of Vietnam, that meets the visual and realism quality that Ugra's Syria map has acheived... would be MASSIVE, and woujld probably choke even the top game systems of today.

Nordic nations, Korea, Vietnam, Israel Egypt Jordan are likely to all be made at some point, as long as DCS is still popular and making revenue, but we'll have quite the wait to get them all !! Other games and mild sims could make reasonable versions of all those maps in probably less than a year, but ED has a very high quality and realism expectation to meet.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Two interesting possibilities for a map:

Kyrgystan / Tajikistan.

Why? Because they are fairly independent. They have both seen conflict.

A fictional conflict between them would be interesting, with lots of "team Red" aircraft and equipment, rather than another Hornet's nest of Spaamrams. Both nations are small enough for a current DCS map (ok I'm probably stretching the definition!)

The terrain of both is... mountainous. Lots of chokepoints, lots of opportunity for non-stealthy Migs to sneak between the valleys. It's basically the same mountains seen in north Eastern corner of Afghanistan, but north of that.

Scenarios could see the two nations pitted against each other, or from other neighbors, like Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Afghanistan, and China.

===

Another possibility could be Mongolia. It's quite a large nation physically, about the size of Spain France and Germany combined. The terrain does have a fair amount of mountains but there are deserts and large plains for maneuvers. Now, for adversaries, it's Russia and China. 

The nation is much too large for a current DCS map, so maybe choose the western end, and maybe even include a little of Kazakhstan terrain and add a third adversary?

===

(south ) West Africa could provide many possibilities, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Senegal, parts of Mali, parts of Nigeria... choosing an area for a map in that region could be quite interesting and a decent DCS map size.  Ample opportunity for Red aircraft, but you can plausibly add in Western aircraft of different times, in "Cold War assistance" scenarios, Aircraft Carrier support from the Atlantic.

===

There are other very interesting regions for DCS campaigns, but it does seem like so many of them need more area than the current crop of DCS maps are able to represent and render fast enough for users!  So with the Global Map starting development, these other locations could become practical.

Examples could include Ethiopia, having conflict with Somalia, Sudan, maybe Yemen. 

Kashmir, the disputed/contested region between Pakistan and India.

Iran Iraq, recreate the 1980's conflict.

South American borders, Bolivia, Paraguay, Chile, Brazil, Argentina... Ecuador, Colombia Panama Venezuela, Guyana...

• Like 1

For my part, I would like the map of Syria
extends to the north with kuwait and iraq
and in the south israel and palestine (or) either one or the other if both are not possible.
  (with a preference for extension to the south):pilotfly:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PLUTON said:

For my part, I would like the map of Syria
extends to the north with kuwait and iraq
and in the south israel and palestine (or) either one or the other if both are not possible.
  (with a preference for extension to the south):pilotfly:

You probably mean East-South-East, but I would also love to have the map extended all the way to the Gulf, but I reckon Kuwait is just too far. 

South through Israel to Egypt might be doable though. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Screenshot_20220421_141859.jpg