Mig21 radar = GPU clock stutter = large, intermittent FPS drops [DCS 2.5.6.52437]

mad rabbit

Switching the Mig21 radar from standby to active causes large intermittent drops in FPS. This can be visualised by the sensor output from GPU-Z below:

Note the intermittent spikes then drops in GPU clock speed and VDDC.

Also note that no PerfCap reasons are specified e.g. Thrm, Pwr, etc. = does not seem to be GPU throttling due to voltage, high temps, etc.

Mig21 radar on in SP:

BYr61Tm.gif

F16C radar on in SP:

GY99CMa.gif

My specs:

P750TM-G laptop

GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2080

GPU Drivers: 452.06 (latest)

CPU: i7 7700

RAM: 32GB

HD for DCS install: Samsung SSD 860 EVO M.2 2TB

DCS 2.5.6.52437

Have also tried disabling G-SYNC and older NVIDIA drivers. All NVIDIA driver installations done after DDU clean via Safe Mode. DCS folders 'fxo' and 'metashaders' also wiped after each NVIDIA driver installation.

DCS log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/os2kast961iuhf7/Mig21.stutters.dcs.log?dl=0

Edited by mad rabbit

The R-3R is actually absolutely brilliant for dealing with people who like flying high enough for the radar to detect - and it won't care how much they try and flare, thinking it's a heater. The 21's radar isn't good but it's criminally underrated.

I have killed a Hornet headon with an R-3R on a multiplayer server. Not sure why he missed me, but it was a great kill for me. I use the radar sparingly, but I still use it. I like to turn it on briefly to try to locate aircraft being called over the radio. I may turn it on for longer periods to light the RWRs of any F-5s in the area to ask them to come play with me. Unfortunately the radar is useless as a ranging system for the gunsight. Even the real aircraft manual suggests locking the gunsight into a manual fixed range for dogfights and only using the radar ranging for intercepting large co-operative targets. It is sad when the F-86, MiG-15, and P-51 have better gunsights than a Mach 2 fighter that is 20+ years newer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The R-3R is actually absolutely brilliant for dealing with people who like flying high enough for the radar to detect - and it won't care how much they try and flare, thinking it's a heater. The 21's radar isn't good but it's criminally underrated.

This, and using the Groms calls for its use. Using the Grom is where the issue becomes quite acute as you're pointed at the earth and ground returns seem to make it worse.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

I use the radar even if I only carry IR missiles. It will help with situational awareness and IFF. It can also help getting a good shooting position or stressing the opponent to make a mistake (when you have him hardlocked).

The key is to know when you should switch the radar on or off and use it to your advantage. It can be a very helpful tool.