Syrian Air Defence Network 2012 full + bonus content

Folks, attached is a zip with a series of helpful templates to get you moving for the Syria terrain out today.

TEMPLATES of fixed site SAMs

1.SyADF2012northEast.stm - Importable static template of the North and East SAMs

2. SyADFsouth.stm - the Damascus and Quneitra regions

3. SyADFWest.stm - The West Coast - Tartus and Latakia

4. SyADF2012.stm - All three combined

In total these are about 900 units you can drop in in whole or part.

MISSIONS

1. SyADF2012 is the miz of the full template with all the 900 units

2. SyADFGCI+bonus.miz is all that added into the Skynet IADS script from walder https://github.com/walder/Skynet-IADS MOOSE scripted GCI network https://flightcontrol-master.github.io/MOOSE_DOCS_DEVELOP/Documentation/AI.AI_A2A_Dispatcher.html , with the appropriate squadrons and locations and trimmed down to fit a year into the civil war. The bonus part is some spawns and aciton at Aleppo and some down at the Golan heights.

OK... I don't understand, what is the detailed explanation?

This is from the Google Earth samsites.kmz that goes around the internet from some guy that moved on after that to work for Janes. However theres no import directly, I've had to eyeball the satellite data from Google Earth myself then make some accommodations. Oddly, you can get very accurate but it's worth explaining the limitations.

Syria didnt have half of this during the cvil war!

Indeed. These are all the fixed site SA6, SA3, SA2 and SA5 (swapped for SA10). I've seen various dates, they've moved a bit so does not represent a single point in time, it's probably no later than 2012. You can remove the sites that were captured to fit your time scale. Deleting is your luxury here :)

Where are all the point defence?

Nope. Adding kinetic and IR to this would be insane and melt the computer. You can add and customise how you want. It's missing SA10 and SA11 purchased upgrades from 2008 through to current day and upgraded this in part. I presume this would have occurred in the central region over SA-6 locations first and the West Coast near the Russian enclave, these two being th emost sensitive and secure locaitons in the country. There aren't any SA8 batteries included, any kintetic at all, manpads or such. Just fixed sites from satellite photos. We also do not have SA-22 and SA-5 in game (yet)

What other substitutions or unreal items are there?

All fixed emplacements have a Search radar as the first unit. This is due to a limitation with Walders skynet IADS script where it is required. Normally IADS has its launchers and tracking raders away from it's search radar network. So each Group in DCS has its own search radar which would never happen. Also there is likely way less launchers in some of the battalisions with multiple emplacements and 25+ visible.

SA6 are generally three launcher vehicles and 1 tracking/SR radar combo that have a site where they roll out of cover. The DCS version are in the open where there is no cover.

SA3 format is 1 P-19, 1 TR, 6 TEL's in a Hex and a DCS resupply vehicle

SA2 format is exactly the same as above.

Some locations are just not flat enough or a bit wonky. I've done my best, almost all 900 vehicles were hand placed so it took considerable time. But its not perfect. When you see the coverage on the little hills you see how the SAM would have been placed with good thought. Also I have come to learn that the Syrians like placing Sam's at the lee side of hills. Kindda nasty, right?

Finally, this is a pre civil war picture that likely never existed as a fully functional compelte complement IADS. Maybe it did but if you want to model the civil war, you need to reduce the sam sites north and east and the south extremes.

How is the FPS with 900 sams?

This is why IADS saves you frames. All the tracking and individual search radars are switched off so you only see the EWR network. Sure, its a 900 template mission and that would make it sit in the complex and large category. You will lose frames but I lose more looking into the terrain distance. Again... please make liberal use of the delete button, its easier than placing these.

Is IADS hard?

Yes. The SAM won't switch on until you are in the missiles kill zone, I've wound it down to the 80% threat range. No more kinematic defeating of these missiles, you have the tracking time to make good your escape. It's about time people got shot down by SAM's, we've had it easy.

What about the "bonus stuff"?

I took my own template, assumed 2014-2017, removed sams close to any rebel or ISIS/ Al Nusra control so it was not as broad. That included Aleppo's latitude. Then i randomly delete 20% of all of them to thin them out. I added a polygon zone that covers the core region of Syria - Damascus, north up the West coast, examined which of the Syrian airbases had which squadron of aircraft and setup a GCI scramble of which Russia is included. This should provide a very robust defense network. I'm sure with enough HARM's and luck and coordination it should take folks a few days to get through it.

I made some spawns of vehicles up near Aleppo, it was late last night, this isn't my finest hour, but there's Syrian aircraft mixing with US aircraft doing CAS up there. Down south I have Merkava's defending some T-72's coming south from the Golan heights and some Syrian Hinds and Gazelles in support. This should play out infinitely so I'd recommend a restart after a few hours. Oh and I added Clients everywhere. They broadly make sense. But it's DCS... and a game, so, it's a hybrid reality :P

I hope you enjoy, some of it took a very long time and other parts I rushed through, So I'm not intending to support it, what you see is what you get. It should be enough to tide you over until your've written your own scenarios.

SyADF2012.zip

SyADF2012.thumb.png.ccd55310d7a668777c3313e9a3892d37.png

Edited by Pikey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Thank you very much!!!

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Thanks a lot for sharing this, with the Map just released ... I will be toying with them over the next few days :thumbup:

Update: I tried all three of your templates and they work perfectly, on my mid-range PC they don't have a significant performance impact. I renamed them a bit to conform to my naming standard (important, as the StaticTemplate folder doesn't allow subfolders for organization:

yPnl0sv.jpg

Pity that ED never took my suggestion for a Templates category on their User Files repository: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=244035 :(

Best regards.

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Nice work mate!

skunk160 | Win10 PRO 64bit | i7-4770K 3.50 GHz | 32GB DDR3/1866MHz | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 x2 | Oculus Rift S | Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 | Virpil F-14B grip | Virpil 200m Curved Extension | PointCTRL | Delta Sim TM Slew | Sim Bandit AHCP | MFG Crosswind Pedals | //FOX2 Switch Boxes | RECARO SPG Seat | AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Transducer x2

//FOXTWO Multi-Role Combat Pit Build http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=134745

ok stupid question

where do I put this stuff? like how do I install?

.MIZ files goes onto /saved games/dcs/missions/

.STL files goes onto /saved games/dcs/StaticTemplate/

if the missions and StaticTemplate folders don't exist, create them using windows file management.

Edit: sorry, a typo, the static templates are .STM not .STL

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Hi pikey.

Thanks, I'll check it soon.

However i've noticed a few errors in your writeup.

Sa-6 is typically 4 launchers and 1 STR either in a square or in half hex around the STR.

SA-3 are typically 4 Launchers around a low blow, with p19 as SR

SA-2 is indeed 6 launchers around the FanSong in a hex.

How do I know where the border for the Syrian CGI goes? If I want to 'safely'? engage Daesh forces around Aleppo without triggering them?

Also- what is the logic for the GCI? Will it scale according to the threat- or will it just sent up single fighters?

LOVE the work put into this! A great baseline for building future operations!

if the missions and StaticTemplate folders don't exist, create them using windows file management.

ok thanks

im gonna get greedy - do u know anything about dce?

ps also thank you for doing this for everyone brotherr

Edited by sublime

Folks, attached is a zip with a series of helpful templates to get you moving for the Syria terrain out today.

TEMPLATES of fixed site SAMs

1.SyADF2012northEast.stm - Importable static template of the North and East SAMs

2. SyADFsouth.stm - the Damascus and Quneitra regions

3. SyADFWest.stm - The West Coast - Tartus and Latakia

4. SyADF2012.stm - All three combined

In total these are about 900 units you can drop in in whole or part.

MISSIONS

1. SyADF2012 is the miz of the full template with all the 900 units

2. SyADFGCI+bonus.miz is all that added into the Skynet IADS script from walder https://github.com/walder/Skynet-IADS MOOSE scripted GCI network https://flightcontrol-master.github.io/MOOSE_DOCS_DEVELOP/Documentation/AI.AI_A2A_Dispatcher.html , with the appropriate squadrons and locations and trimmed down to fit a year into the civil war. The bonus part is some spawns and aciton at Aleppo and some down at the Golan heights.

OK... I don't understand, what is the detailed explanation?

This is from the Google Earth samsites.kmz that goes around the internet from some guy that moved on after that to work for Janes. However theres no import directly, I've had to eyeball the satellite data from Google Earth myself then make some accommodations. Oddly, you can get very accurate but it's worth explaining the limitations.

Syria didnt have half of this during the cvil war!

Indeed. These are all the fixed site SA6, SA3, SA2 and SA5 (swapped for SA10). I've seen various dates, they've moved a bit so does not represent a single point in time, it's probably no later than 2012. You can remove the sites that were captured to fit your time scale. Deleting is your luxury here :)

Where are all the point defence?

Nope. Adding kinetic and IR to this would be insane and melt the computer. You can add and customise how you want. It's missing SA10 and SA11 purchased upgrades from 2008 through to current day and upgraded this in part. I presume this would have occurred in the central region over SA-6 locations first and the West Coast near the Russian enclave, these two being th emost sensitive and secure locaitons in the country. There aren't any SA8 batteries included, any kintetic at all, manpads or such. Just fixed sites from satellite photos. We also do not have SA-22 and SA-5 in game (yet)

What other substitutions or unreal items are there?

All fixed emplacements have a Search radar as the first unit. This is due to a limitation with Walders skynet IADS script where it is required. Normally IADS has its launchers and tracking raders away from it's search radar network. So each Group in DCS has its own search radar which would never happen. Also there is likely way less launchers in some of the battalisions with multiple emplacements and 25+ visible.

SA6 are generally three launcher vehicles and 1 tracking/SR radar combo that have a site where they roll out of cover. The DCS version are in the open where there is no cover.

SA3 format is 1 P-19, 1 TR, 6 TEL's in a Hex and a DCS resupply vehicle

SA2 format is exactly the same as above.

Some locations are just not flat enough or a bit wonky. I've done my best, almost all 900 vehicles were hand placed so it took considerable time. But its not perfect. When you see the coverage on the little hills you see how the SAM would have been placed with good thought. Also I have come to learn that the Syrians like placing Sam's at the lee side of hills. Kindda nasty, right?

Finally, this is a pre civil war picture that likely never existed as a fully functional compelte complement IADS. Maybe it did but if you want to model the civil war, you need to reduce the sam sites north and east and the south extremes.

How is the FPS with 900 sams?

This is why IADS saves you frames. All the tracking and individual search radars are switched off so you only see the EWR network. Sure, its a 900 template mission and that would make it sit in the complex and large category. You will lose frames but I lose more looking into the terrain distance. Again... please make liberal use of the delete button, its easier than placing these.

Is IADS hard?

Yes. The SAM won't switch on until you are in the missiles kill zone, I've wound it down to the 80% threat range. No more kinematic defeating of these missiles, you have the tracking time to make good your escape. It's about time people got shot down by SAM's, we've had it easy.

What about the "bonus stuff"?

I took my own template, assumed 2014-2017, removed sams close to any rebel or ISIS/ Al Nusra control so it was not as broad. That included Aleppo's latitude. Then i randomly delete 20% of all of them to thin them out. I added a polygon zone that covers the core region of Syria - Damascus, north up the West coast, examined which of the Syrian airbases had which squadron of aircraft and setup a GCI scramble of which Russia is included. This should provide a very robust defense network. I'm sure with enough HARM's and luck and coordination it should take folks a few days to get through it.

I made some spawns of vehicles up near Aleppo, it was late last night, this isn't my finest hour, but there's Syrian aircraft mixing with US aircraft doing CAS up there. Down south I have Merkava's defending some T-72's coming south from the Golan heights and some Syrian Hinds and Gazelles in support. This should play out infinitely so I'd recommend a restart after a few hours. Oh and I added Clients everywhere. They broadly make sense. But it's DCS... and a game, so, it's a hybrid reality :P

I hope you enjoy, some of it took a very long time and other parts I rushed through, So I'm not intending to support it, what you see is what you get. It should be enough to tide you over until your've written your own scenarios.

Wow dude. Wow. This is insane. You put so many ad things in this is probably rhe most realistic IAD representatiom ever put in a game.

Bravo

ok thanks

im gonna get greedy - do u know anything about dce?

No, sorry, the Dynamic Campaigns are not for me ... I prefer hand crafted campaigns with a storyline.

ps also thank you for doing this for everyone brotherr

Actually the Templates of the 1st post are the work of Pikey, not me :)

No, sorry, the Dynamic Campaigns are not for me ... I prefer hand crafted campaigns with a storyline.

Actually the Templates of the 1st post are the work of Pikey, not me :)

thought Id ask

Ok so look Im sorta... ok im a dumbass +D

So here we are. I got it in. and holy cow you what a job

the bonus mission etc...

How does that work

do I open in miz editor? or what? I cant seem to find the missin or what Im doing wrong??

2nd - the template. how do I load the template

for example lets say I wanna make a mission for myself and I wanna throw the IADS in. hwo do I import that

thought Id ask

Ok so look Im sorta... ok im a dumbass +D

So here we are. I got it in. and holy cow you what a job

the bonus mission etc...

How does that work

do I open in miz editor? or what? I cant seem to find the missin or what Im doing wrong??

2nd - the template. how do I load the template

for example lets say I wanna make a mission for myself and I wanna throw the IADS in. hwo do I import that

Извините за внимание

Kudos for the effort and job well done.... I was waiting that when someone does this kind favor for the community, to utilize the map with good content.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Did anybody make Russian base in Syria template, like in DCS promo?

I intend to do some airbase templates, but want to wait a while first, to see if @voc releases an updated version of his VPC Airfield Objects Mod.