[REPORTED]New loadout screen stuttering

Kang

It seems that today's OB patch has changed the looks of the rearm/refuel window, to be a bit more transparent and generally darker.

Stylistic taste aside, trying it for the first time now I found that when selecting a pylon and/or an ordnance category there is a delay for the list to appear. Personally I find that rather irritating. Anybody else having that issue?

Oh no, it does not. I've looked at that thread and am sure it's a different thing. The menus do work, it's just when they 'flip open', they take a moment, then appear 'halfway' and finally completely. It doesn't take a second, really, but it's irksome and quite noticable.

It could be just me, but even then I wonder why that of all things should be trouble. I mean, it's a little menu that looks straight out of Windows 95 and somehow it stutters...

I have yet to do this, just used the fuel slider and livery selector so far. I'll se how it behaves on my end tomorrow. The least I can say, the new look is 1000x better, as the old one was extremely hard to see in VR.

It could be just me, but even then I wonder why that of all things should be trouble. I mean, it's a little menu that looks straight out of Windows 95 and somehow it stutters...

Have you ever done a right click on a program sitting in the task bar under Windows 10? Takes ages to open that menu (well, actually it's something like 2s, but it feels like an eternity), was instant in all Win versions with those I operated on before (95B, 98, 98SE, ME, 2k, NT 4, XP, Vista, 7, 8.1, Server 2003, Server 2008). Shift+rmb which opens up the old menu is instant though just like in the old versions...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Have you ever done a right click on a program sitting in the task bar under Windows 10? Takes ages to open that menu (well, actually it's something like 2s, but it feels like an eternity), was instant in all Win versions with those I operated on before (95B, 98, 98SE, ME, 2k, NT 4, XP, Vista, 7, 8.1, Server 2003, Server 2008). Shift+rmb which opens up the old menu is instant though just like in the old versions...
Wow, thank you for the tip.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

+1 (VR Only)

F/A-18C - VR - Expanding the larger lists of weapons causes extreme stutter.

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

Payload and Mission Editor are Lagging

Hey everybody. I have the same issue. I just uploaded a Video of the bug. This is the ingame Loadout but this problem translates into the whole mission editor. The mission editor payload is as laggy as the ingame loadout as well. Plus editing and selecting mission waypoints is not as fluent anymore. It lags the same way as the payload manager.

I can upload more videos of this if needed.

Edited by DenLaw

My bad. This bug also happens to me. The first time I tried this with the latest OB, I was in a Ka-50, which has very few armaments: I just couldn't see the lag occur.

I've just done a second test, this time in the AV-8B, and it lags just the same when the submenus contain a lot of items.

I see no error messages in my dcs.log file (attached).

020-08-24 15:24:24.372 INFO DCS: Screen: mission_offline

2020-08-24 15:24:24.373 INFO Dispatcher: precache units resources in slots

2020-08-24 15:24:24.419 INFO Lua: Lua CPU usage: metric: average mission loading: 4.1654 %

2020-08-24 15:24:24.419 INFO Dispatcher: loadMission Done: Сontrol passed to the player

2020-08-24 15:24:26.144 INFO TACVIEW.DLL: Recording flight data in [C:UsersFlavDocumentsTacviewTacview-20200824-172426-DCS-AV-8B Cold and Dark C.zip.acmi]

2020-08-24 15:25:21.170 INFO Lua: Lua CPU usage: metric: average mission execution: 2.9303 %

2020-08-24 15:25:22.436 INFO Dispatcher: Stop

2020-08-24 15:25:22.457 INFO TACVIEW.DLL: End of flight data recording

2020-08-24 15:25:22.615 INFO Config: netview stopped

2020-08-24 15:25:22.651 INFO TERRAIN: lSystem::CleanScenes()

2020-08-24 15:25:22.654 INFO VISUALIZER: StopSimulation

dcs.log

Edited by Flappie

Same issue here with the Hornet.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

• 4 months later...

I'm still having this issue. It seems far worse in my system than in the video above. It's been nearly five months already, so I thought I might check to see if this might have gotten forgotten?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• 2 weeks later...

So I made a test that may be taken with a bit of salt, because I had to use DXVK that translates DCS DX11 to Vulkan and is quite glitchy (smoke behaves different, trees don't look right, cockpit blinks) ... but despite that it may not necessairly be totally useless.

This is an example of idling in cockpit of F/A-18C on runway, with "normal" FPS.

DCSW_256_DXVK_RGProfiler_Summary_Normal-Idle-FPS.PNG

Event Timing:

DCSW_256_DXVK_RGProfiler_EventTiming_Normal-Idle-FPS.PNG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the summary when I caught the frames excatly when the FPS drop happens:

DCSW_256_DXVK_RGProfiler_Summary_RearmingWindowWeaponSubmenuLag.PNG

Event Timing:

DCSW_256_DXVK_RGProfiler_EventTiming_RearmingWindowWeaponSubmenuLag.PNG

As per Radeon GPU Profiler (which doesn't support DX11), if the tool and this test is valid, you can see it says "CPU Bound" in the second set of pictures, which indicates the GPU is sitting around doing nothing and waiting for the CPU to provide more work apparently.

Root cause of the issue could still have to do with what's usually classified as "graphics" but I think from what I can see I can say it doesn't look like a rendering issue, and in my other anaylsis I didn't see any other indicators, it looks to be some bug accessing the tables of weapons, with the data, LUA or IMGUI issue. Infact the CPU usage of the DCS "GPU-Driver" thread lowers to almost nothing when it lags, but that's just another consequence most likely because there's no work for the GPU for a long period, what's stalling this up is probably stalling up the whole pipeline yep.

Probably not much of help technically, but I guess something for us to crunch on while we wait, well at least for me it does make it easier if I thinker with it if time allows.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 4 months later...
On 1/28/2021 at 5:18 AM, Eldur said:

Still seeing this as well, and BTW, the multiplayer server menu is affected as well, especially in VR where it truly gets a laghell.

Few months have past and the loadout menu "laghell" is still here (at least on my end in VR).

Also, my loadout menu lag/stutter seems much more worse than can be seen in the videos by @DenLaw and @Flappie posted above in this thread.

(I'll try and make a video later today if I get the chance)

@BIGNEWY: While it's not the worst bug around, I was wondering if this is still being worked on, or if it's considered fixed by ED? (again, I only play VR, so no idea if there's also an issue on 2D)

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• ED Team

I am not seeing any issue on my machine. 

If you are having issues please attach your dcs log. 

let us know if you are using HDD or SSD

if you have many custom loadouts or custom liveries, this may effect load time of the rearm window.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

I am not seeing any issue on my machine. 

If you are having issues please attach your dcs log. 

let us know if you are using HDD or SSD

if you have many custom loadouts or custom liveries, this may effect load time of the rearm window.

Ok, this is weird!

I had heavy stutters last week when trying to access the various weapon loadout menus, but I just tried again (to make a video of it) and all went buttery smooth.... 🤨

I don't get it, last week I thought I should report it again (only came to that today), because the issue was really there!

But hey, even better that it somehow magically solved itself after a week of not using my pc 😛

Sorry for the inconvenience

Everybody please continue go about your business and pretend I wasn't here 😅

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• ED Team

LOL thanks for letting us know, I always worry about magically fixed issues, but good to hear 🙂

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I still get massive lag in the rearm & refuel menu, but it's different than before.

Before it was only while the mouse pointer was hovering over the hard-point box - weapon type (AA Missile, AG Missile etc), which would cause the pull-down menu of weapons to populate and appear. This happened every time the mouse pointer entered one of the hard point boxes and hovered over the weapon type, and the lag the first time was about 15 sec IIRC, but if a box/weapon type had already been access, subsequent times were a little bit quicker.

Now as soon as I select rearm & refuel DCS completely freezes for me for about 15 - 20 seconds. Nothing continues in my client at all until the entire weapons menu system has been generated, but not yet displayed. For example, if I'm starting up the FA-18, and the APU is green and I toggle to crank right engine, you can see the temps and RPM's increasing and hear the engine spooling up. As soon as I select rearm & refuel, that freezes, the screen freezes, the sound remains the same, although the engine should be spooling up. Once the rearm & refuel menu appears, everything else starts to run normally again.

Now when the mouse pointer enters one of the boxes now and select the weapon type (AG Missile, AA Missile, Bomb, Rocket, etc, there is a momentary pause -- fraction of a second -- then the pull-down menu with the weapons selection appears.

So overall the situation has improved, but still there is a very nasty lag.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

11 minutes ago, Captain Orso said:

Now as soon as I select rearm & refuel DCS completely freezes for me for about 15 - 20 seconds. Nothing continues in my client at all until the entire weapons menu system has been generated, but not yet displayed.

I get a ~5 seconds freeze as well as soon as I hit "F8" to display the rearm/refuel menu for the first time in a mission. This was nearly instantaneous before 2.7. I don't know what was changed.

Since it's a new lag bug, I think we should create a new thread.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Flappie said:

I get a ~5 seconds freeze as well as soon as I hit "F8" to display the rearm/refuel menu for the first time in a mission. This was nearly instantaneous before 2.7. I don't know what was changed.

@Flappiethis happens to me and all my squadron on SP and MP. Time varies from machine to machine but it's clearly a thing.

Thanks!

On 6/9/2021 at 9:51 PM, Flappie said:

There is a new thread. 

BTW, I don't have custom loadout, liveries, DCS is on a Samsung 970 EVO SSD. 

• Thanks 1