High consumption of RAM memory

Frogfoot250

The difference I have in performance with other maps is enormous, something needs to be solved here, the use of ram is enormous and the use of the GPU rises, in my case I start the mission without problems flying in any densely populated city and after a few minutes it begins to lose performance.

This is exactly what I am seeing, I have also noticed that if I load one of my missions and then change the time of day to either morning or late evening and reload into the same place I start to get stutters.

The only way I have managed to avoid stuttering is before booting into DCS is to delete the FXO file.

I have found that the time I spend in the map is not always the same amount of time before I start experiencing stuttering. I can load into a map and have issues right away and over an area like Incirlik (where I do all my stutter testing) and instantly have problems, at least when clearing out the FXO file I can at least experience the map for 30 mins or so before it starts to take a nose dive and the stutters start to kick in.

I can probably get a little longer in the map if I fly over areas that are sparsely populated, unfortunately as I hit the costal areas that are heavily populated I will immediately start to see issues.

I love the map but these teething issues are a complete tease at the moment.:joystick:

I downloaded the Syria map yesterday and was excited to fly out of Incirlik for some fun. I did an instant action F/A-18 Hot start from parking. In VR, the frames rates were sooooo bad, just sitting in the chocks it was almost causing nausea. I had to jump out of that map and try a different one. When I pulled up the exact same instant action mission on a different map - VR frame rates were back to normal while sitting on the ground and flying.

I'll have to try the Syria again with FPS VR turned on, but honestly it couldn't have been more than 10-20fps at best. It was worse than a slide show.

Is anyone else seeing this? Are you having to change your settings to get Syria to run properly?

BTW - this was on the new OB update 2.5.6.53756.

Same here, tried a mission just with my airframe at Incirlik airbase and frames are worse and a lot of stutter. I know at the ramp there´s a lot more going on and this map takes more resources but i use missions in other maps with +100 statics, crowded SC deck, random air traffic, and scripts and get better performance. I tried different optons with my bios, steamvr, dcs options, and nvidia control panel to squeze more fps. Hope there´s optimization possible. The one who gave me stable 20 fps (and less stutter) was the autoxec.cfg line "options.graphics.stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true", far from perfect because it´s WIP but for now i´m using it for testing.

Best regards,

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

This is exactly what I am seeing, I have also noticed that if I load one of my missions and then change the time of day to either morning or late evening and reload into the same place I start to get stutters.

The only way I have managed to avoid stuttering is before booting into DCS is to delete the FXO file.

I have found that the time I spend in the map is not always the same amount of time before I start experiencing stuttering. I can load into a map and have issues right away and over an area like Incirlik (where I do all my stutter testing) and instantly have problems, at least when clearing out the FXO file I can at least experience the map for 30 mins or so before it starts to take a nose dive and the stutters start to kick in.

I can probably get a little longer in the map if I fly over areas that are sparsely populated, unfortunately as I hit the costal areas that are heavily populated I will immediately start to see issues.

I love the map but these teething issues are a complete tease at the moment.:joystick:

+1 here. Same issue.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

I've done a fresh install, messed around with some ingame and nvidia settings, other maps work pretty good now, on Syria the fps shown by DCS is ok righ now, at least most of the time it stayesbetween 35-50fps, in more populated areas it doeas go down do 20 even, RAM is used a bit less, but the difference is 95-97% instead of 100% and there is visible annoying stuttering.

Difference in memory usage is huge between this and the other maps. 32gb of RAM are stated as recommended, but for now it looks like definately not enough.

Just did a free flight on an empty map, starting at Ramat David in the 16C, going north low at eco fuel rate, in order to see the landscape. What a great job! But when I just entered the Beqaa Valley, passing Lake Qaraoun, by DCS, Oculus and Target GUI crashed up, so basically Windows 10 again was killing things because it thought it was out of memory at a point where I still had 9GB free. Man, this OS sucks balls like nothing else! I mean, can't it just crash things when it's actually out of mem? Guess I'll have to run a swapfile now for the time being. Might just try having it on a boot-time ramdisk if that prevents Windows from closing things prematurely. Would at least keep the speed up and write cycles off the SSDs. So yes, this map is rather heavy on the mem.

I need a new rig with 2x 32GB in it (anyway, long overdue already and a new thing needs to have more mem than the one before, especially after 8 long years) dealwithit.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I have noticed the same. Every time I want to fly, I have to delete Fxo / Metashaders. Otherwise I experience heavy stutters / lack of fluidity over Syria. No idea why is it like that only with that map (I dont fly on Channel so cant speak about it) but I wish it produced as stable and smooth experience for me as Persian Gulf.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Guys having issues, id suggest heavily this is settings based.

If your running at 2080 level with a CPU at 5ghz on a M2 SSD with a 32GB page file also re VR you should be getting good performance.

That said, 2 things after playing around that are a must, setting the terrain textures to low (cannot visibly see a difference but big boost in FPS) and reducing preload radius to around half so circa 70000. I dont know why the latter makes a difference especially when i have 64Gb of fast ram but it does.

Obviously keep your PD realistic, circa 1.4, MSAAx2, AAx8 and the map will run well. If its not you've got issues with your system running other tasks.

Map runs fantastic. Again check your user settings, clear out your cache files.

PS ive tried this with 32 and 64GB ram, no measurable difference i can see. 32GB is enough for whoever said its not.

Edited by Hawkeye_UK
  • Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

No, its all other maps that run fantastic. This one requires tweaking.

I reduced SteamVRSS by 40 %, turned down water to Medium, cut the preload radius as suggested by half. My settings are fine and were not a problem either over Normandy or Persian Gulf. I expect Syria, when finished, to be the same.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

I have noticed the same. Every time I want to fly, I have to delete Fxo / Metashaders. Otherwise I experience heavy stutters / lack of fluidity over Syria. No idea why is it like that only with that map (I dont fly on Channel so cant speak about it) but I wish it produced as stable and smooth experience for me as Persian Gulf.

No, its all other maps that run fantastic. This one requires tweaking.

I reduced SteamVRSS by 40 %, turned down water to Medium, cut the preload radius as suggested by half. My settings are fine and were not a problem either over Normandy or Persian Gulf. I expect Syria, when finished, to be the same.

+1

Same issue here. I have no problems with caucus, nevada, or pg but when I play syria it quickly maxes out my 32GBs of RAM and not only causes the game but also my entire PC to be significantly slowed down and stuttery. Very annoying. I hope they can solve it soon.

FWIW, not that it will help you much, but I don´t see this at all running a rather old system (I7-3770 @3.4, 16 GB RAM and a 1070GTX).

Even in Pikeys 900 SAM Mission my CPU runs between 40-60% and the RAM is stable between 13 and 15GB usage. The only thing maxed out is the GPU.

Gameplay is mostly smooth and the only time I see some stuttering or Micro-Freezes is when something - anything really - accesses my WIN HD for more than 5%. Thankfully this isn´t very often.

Ofc I´m not opposed to further optimization at all :)

KHFAhYd.jpg

52d_Sig_Pic3.png

I am having stuttering in VR with settings that don't create any problems any other map or plane. I think all map modules need to be roughly the same FPS at the same settings. People who would like to see better visuals can bump us their settings.

• 1 month later...

Performance is often equipment dependent.

Syria does use more RAM.... but DCS maximises my 2080ti 100% most of the time in VR (HP Reverb = high res) which is great.... downside uses around 20-22 of RAM.

High GPU % and high settings means sharp clear smooth play and for once the GPU is worth the price.

With all the other maps the GPU is throttled by DCS to an average of 70% which is not so good.

Downside is if you do not have a 32 RAM DCS probably uses a lot of disc writes which gives the stutter unless you drop your settings.

i7 6700k OC 4.5

32 RAM

GTX 2080ti

For me I would say Syria is the most complex, best and high quality map we have. Far superior to all the other maps if you have the kit.

Edited by Gizzy

SIGBLOCK.png

Idem for me.

apply the same setting of =52d= Skip.

And DCS close when the mission's chargement.

All the other map work fine for me.

i7 6700k 4ghz- ssd *2- gtx1080ti. 24giga ddr3.

Other setting gone well with this map but with really low setting and bad visual.

So for me, i can't use this map at the time.

Very disapointed!

Living together is the greatest challenge of the human

Performance is often equipment dependent.

Syria does use more RAM.... but DCS maximises my 2080ti 100% most of the time in VR (HP Reverb = high res) which is great.... downside uses around 20-22 of RAM.

High GPU % and high settings means sharp clear smooth play and for once the GPU is worth the price.

With all the other maps the GPU is throttled by DCS to an average of 70% which is not so good.

Downside is if you do not have a 32 RAM DCS probably uses a lot of disc writes which gives the stutter unless you drop your settings.

i7 6700k OC 4.5

32 RAM

GTX 2080ti

For me I would say Syria is the most complex, best and high quality map we have. Far superior to all the other maps if you have the kit.

I have 32 GB RAM with a pretty good GPU and it still has performance issues

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

• 1 month later...

:poster_oops:

2.5.6.58125 Open Beta

With the new Hotfix consumption on the Syrian ram map has skyrocketed. I believe the DCS has a memory leak. DCS was running the map of Syria. I am not using any type of modification in DCS.

My PC:

Ryzen 7 3800X,

32GB DDR4 3200MHz,

980Ti.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t126499967_799617897545340_655606326603327711_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=kCJFITPxajMAX8-tF_5&_nc_ht=scontent.fmao1-1.fna&oh=146aab99121a6452ecd48b179abe8fce&oe=5FE23C8B.jpg Views:\t0 Size:\t222.2 KB ID:\t7151423","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7151423","data-size":"full","title":"126499967_799617897545340_655606326603327711_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=kCJFITPxajMAX8-tF_5&_nc_ht=scontent.fmao1-1.fna&oh=146aab99121a6452ecd48b179abe8fce&oe=5FE23C8B.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t126452169_799616284212168_6949750593545926422_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=LQ3YzvTMAUwAX-K-sSh&_nc_ht=scontent.fmao1-1.fna&oh=95cfb307bc35ef34c907c092ec1201de&oe=5FE0A904.jpg Views:\t0 Size:\t736.2 KB ID:\t7151420","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7151420","data-size":"full","title":"126452169_799616284212168_6949750593545926422_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=LQ3YzvTMAUwAX-K-sSh&_nc_ht=scontent.fmao1-1.fna&oh=95cfb307bc35ef34c907c092ec1201de&oe=5FE0A904.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t126537837_799616257545504_615021300868304693_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=-KaPFSokbf4AX9sZW6n&_nc_oc=AQlejrbct52QBuX_5sqnf4cwvPhBqP86K7dis3axOm-MpF8ERF6bHkslkuamt2vWeGjlSNoNYIHpDL-JFBE98eFH&_nc_ht=scontent.fmao1-1.fna Views:\t0 Size:\t711.6 KB ID:\t7151421","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7151421","data-size":"full","title":"126537837_799616257545504_615021300868304693_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=-KaPFSokbf4AX9sZW6n&_nc_oc=AQlejrbct52QBuX_5sqnf4cwvPhBqP86K7dis3axOm-MpF8ERF6bHkslkuamt2vWeGjlSNoNYIHpDL-JFBE98eFH&_nc_ht=scontent.fmao1-1.fna&oh=43c16eab0a71306cc7084e66f852271c&oe=5FE1B134.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I downloaded the map yesterday because of the freefly to see what the performance is. I have 24gb and even a simple instant action fills all memory to the brim, 23.4gb overall. Not an issue on the other maps anymore after i upgraded from 16 to 24. And its that weird issue where DCS seems to only use 6.5/14gb private bytes/working set according to sysinternals monitor, but still 23.5gb are filled to the brim when the instant you quit DCS 20gb are being freed up and you end up with the standard 3.5gb taken by windows. And i kinda would not want to lower graphical settings only to make this map run properly. The other ED maps are mostly fine now memory wise.

Yesterday I downloaded and did some test flights on this beatiful detailed map.
Developers should take serious about this ram usage problem, I have 16gb ram and game uses 15.4gb with single aircraft.
with my medium highish setting, map runs smooth. no serious fps drop and no stutter but sudden freeze and ctd happens because of ram issue.
gtx 1070 
i7 4770k @4.2
16gb ram
1080p resolution 

• 1 month later...

Can we get a official word on this issue? The Syria map's performance doesn't really match up with the rest of DCS's maps and while I can appreciate that it has more details, I also can't help but feel that it really should run better. Has there been any significant progress in this department internally? 

For those who said it was "equipment dependent" i must say after last Beta update and last Nvidia Drivers 461.60 my performance (VR) was night and day. Now it´s smoother. (Didn´t change any settings).

I7 4790k 4.4GHZ / 32GB Ram / Zotac GTX 1080Ti / Valve Index.

Hope everyone got a good bump in performance too.

I´m not getting a lot more fps but no more stuttering.

Best regards,

F.

Edited by fagulha
  • Like 1