Question regarding Raven One mission 1

modda

Hi @baltic_dragon, first of all, thank you for making this campaign. I just finished the first mission and it's a blast, I feel the tension rising just as in the book :)

The question

After returning to the carrier I never got a mission success message. But after quit I apparently got a result of 70. Is that defined as success? Or are the missions supposed to give a "safe to quit" message?

I had a divert statement available in the F10 comms after landing. I might have missed the hint to use it or something?

We did two merges before going close to the shore and we got the SAM warning. I agreed not to tell anyone. Then recovered with about 1-2 minutes diff.

Anyway, thanks again! Looking forward to many intense hours :thumbup:

Modda

i9-9900KS @5.2GHz | Aorus Z390 Master | MSI RTX 3090 Gaming X Trio | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TM Warthog | Logitech G Pro

There is no mission success message in any mission - if you land on the carrier (or divert) you will progress. The points depend on many factors - for instance here whether you defy or obey Saint and whether you report there was no SAM or keep quiet, if he hit you or not etc. This will be happening throughout the campaign.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

I was asking myself the same question after landing: Did I suceed? Will the campaign progress?

I guess the fact that some other designers include a „Mission success“ message when the right criteria are met leads to this expectation. Not saying such a message is required, it‘s just good to know what to expect. May be worth a line in your campaign guide? Just an idea, of course:smilewink:

This is good to hear as I was worried during first mission that too many complaints about incorrect formation would fail the mission. Also flying close parade with him, I'm done with that.. Absolutely no calls about intentions and not exactly shallow turns or changes in altitude / speed.

Follow on question for this mission. I fully agree with the others, absolutely amazing. Hearing the MC5 at the beginning gave me chills.

EDIT:just saw a reference to the new alignment procedure, reading it noW

When starting in the mission you have to start the Hornet, no problem but I notice a difference from the many times I started it before. Maybe this is a change with the last patch or in this campaign, I am not sure.

Toward the end of the startup I usually select the time zone OBS on the AMCP but now I see the label man, which when selected starts over the INS alignMent. And it takes a long time to finish.

The alignment seems to take longer than before, in Chucks manual it states 2 minutes for carrier alignment ent but it seems to take about 10 minutes.

The first time I ran the mission I automatically select the OSB where I normally find the time zone and it took for ever and I did not want to sit that long as I had to follow Saint. I knew my flight path marker was going to wrong.

I redid the mission and have another question, when I gave Saint the signal I was ready, I followed him but he stopped short of the cat until I moved. I got an error I was blocking cat 4 so I moved a bit further but my crew did not tell me to move forward until Saint launched. By then Saint complained I was not in formation.

Thanks!

Edited by DutchCoolHand

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

This is good to hear as I was worried during first mission that too many complaints about incorrect formation would fail the mission. Also flying close parade with him, I'm done with that.. Absolutely no calls about intentions and not exactly shallow turns or changes in altitude / speed.

Yep, he was as much of a dick in the first mission than he was in the book! :D

I redid the mission and have another question, when I gave Saint the signal I was ready, I followed him but he stopped short of the cat until I moved. I got an error I was blocking cat 4 so I moved a bit further but my crew did not tell me to move forward until Saint launched. By then Saint complained I was not in formation.

Thanks!

You are supposed to use the bow Cats (1 or 2) I believe, and Saint will use a waist Cat.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, i7-9700KF @ 3.60GHz, 32GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2070 Super 1800MHz, Occulus Rift S, CH Pro Pedals, CH Pro Throttle, Virpil MongoosT-50 CM2, Virpil VPC WarBRD Base.

You are supposed to use the bow Cats (1 or 2) I believe, and Saint will use a waist Cat.

Thank you, I noticed he was further up

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

I just started the campaign and had the same problem. I could've sworn Saint tells me to follow him to the bow but then he goes off to the waist cats, so I follow him but then have the same problem as mentioned above.

Will try this again tomorrow but I'll head to CAT 1 instead of CAT 4

I have a (somewhat stupid) question: when Saint and Flip return to the Carrier Saint orders to switch to the marshal frequency and then after short period of time I hear regular transmission for Case 1 recovery (which wasn't initiated by myself). Saint replies with his fuel state and then orders me to contact marshal. I believe this initial transmission is initiated by and intended for Saint. The problem is that when he orders me to contact marshal it's too close to mother and I don't have time to reply "see you at 10" at 10nm as marshal requests. Should I break formation and turn back after getting order from Saint? Should I handle Case 1 recovery by myself from the moment I got order to contact marshal from Saint or should I proceed with him to the holding pattern as standard procedure for Case 1 recovery requires for the wingman?

Edited by lester

Все написанное выше является моим оценочным суждением

Everything written above reflects my personal opinion

Занимаюсь "активной пропагандой Американцев на данном форуме" © Flanker

I just started the campaign and had the same problem. I could've sworn Saint tells me to follow him to the bow but then he goes off to the waist cats, so I follow him but then have the same problem as mentioned above.

Will try this again tomorrow but I'll head to CAT 1 instead of CAT 4

He says “join up OFF the bow” :)

I have a (somewhat stupid) question: when Saint and Flip return to the Carrier Saint orders to switch to the marshal frequency and then after short period of time I hear regular transmission for Case 1 recovery (which wasn't initiated by myself). Saint replies with his fuel state and then orders me to contact marshal. I believe this initial transmission is initiated by and intended for Saint. The problem is that when he orders me to contact marshal it's too close to mother and I don't have time to reply "see you at 10" at 10nm as marshal requests. Should I break formation and turn back after getting order from Saint? Should I handle Case 1 recovery by myself from the moment I got order to contact marshal from Saint or should I proceed with him to the holding pattern as standard procedure for Case 1 recovery requires for the wingman?

Hey Lester, IIRC the message in the top-right of the screen appears as soon as Saint contacts Marshal for the first time telling you to do the same / use built in menu as well. I know it is not realistic but that was the only way to keep the immersion and let you land at the same time :)

Hey Lester, IIRC the message in the top-right of the screen appears as soon as Saint contacts Marshal for the first time telling you to do the same / use built in menu as well. I know it is not realistic but that was the only way to keep the immersion and let you land at the same time :)

Hey baltic_dragon, thank you for reply. Yeah I thought about it too: that's probably the only way to do it when you are wingman with the AI flight lead.

Все написанное выше является моим оценочным суждением

Everything written above reflects my personal opinion

Занимаюсь "активной пропагандой Американцев на данном форуме" © Flanker

Please help. I can't even start the first mission, Saint won't even get in his hornet, It just sits there empty, I tried spacebar, it does nothing, I tried F10 there is only a Saint Hit me option, I tired to take off first, how do I get Saint to go?

Toast

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. and When All Else Fails, Aviate More :pilotfly:

Please help. I can't even start the first mission, Saint won't even get in his hornet, It just sits there empty, I tried spacebar, it does nothing, I tried F10 there is only a Saint Hit me option, I tired to take off first, how do I get Saint to go?

This is a problem some people experience - for several DCS repair worked, for others reinstalling the campaign. Others said it was OK if they didn’t touch the kneeboard. The last measure is to press Space Bar as soon as the prompt appears and then do a very quick startup. This is internally changed anyway to F10 menu option,but waits for next OB update.

I can hear no calls. The Freqs are correct, but Saint Is silence and flip too. What i am doing wrong?

Not sure, a track from the mission would help. Mission works fine - I suspect this to be user error.