At Arms Length - Mission fail

enjoying the above named mission till I got a 'mission fail'...

I hit the 3 shelters and got it confirmed. Then I got the massage with the coordinates for the fourth shelter. But while punching in the coordinates to create the waypoint I got the massage that I failed.

SA 10 didn't spot me as far as I can tell and I was about 45 - 55 nm away in a fast and high orbit.

~ 40000 ft

The 'fail' massage came up about 30 sec after getting the coordinates.

Too bad I didn't keep the .trk.

A bug or did I miss something?

So far I really enjoyed the campaign! :pilotfly::joystick:

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

enjoying the above named mission till I got a 'mission fail'...

I hit the 3 shelters and got it confirmed. Then I got the massage with the coordinates for the fourth shelter. But while punching in the coordinates to create the waypoint I got the massage that I failed.

SA 10 didn't spot me as far as I can tell and I was about 45 - 55 nm away in a fast and high orbit.

~ 40000 ft

The 'fail' massage came up about 30 sec after getting the coordinates.

Too bad I didn't keep the .trk.

A bug or did I miss something?

So far I really enjoyed the campaign! :pilotfly::joystick:

Hi

Where were you when you got the fail. Once you have the coordinates if you go too far away from the target you will get a fail if you have not killed the last bunker. This zone you must stay in is quite big. It is a circular zone 112 miles diameter the centre of which is along the target / way point 3 line 29 miles from the target. So along the track line you can go up to 85 miles from target before you gat a fail

Is it a possibility you wandered this far. It is easy done best to get a safe position and orbit.

Hope this helps

Edited by Glyn

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Hm I'll try again then a bit closer.

Thanks mate!

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

Hm I'll try again then a bit closer.

Thanks mate!

Let me know if it happens again and note where you are etc and I will check it out. Thanks for your help.

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Hi,

Enjoying the mission and the campaign.. (keep up the fantastic work by the way)

But I do have a small issue.. well maybe a big one ;)

I release my first 3 JSOW to the first 3 shelters at around.. mmm 45 miles from the target angel 34.. the SA-10 system.. shoot down each of the 3 JSOW.... ^^

2nd time worked like a charm, I launched from higher / further away from the target.. I guess I didn't activated the SAM-10 this time ;)

Thanks again for the great campaign.

Hi glad your enjoying it. Yes the challenge is to get close enough to be effective but not so close as to create a red alert. Height is the key:thumbup:

hmm i just find the SA-10 targets the JSOW's as the approach it, it doesn't seem to bother with me at all I was at 36k... will go higher!

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

hmm i just find the SA-10 targets the JSOW's as the approach it, it doesn't seem to bother with me at all I was at 36k... will go higher!

Hi

Make sure you go no closer to target than as set out in mission brief since update otherwise they will go into red alert. You will need the height to do this.

Hope this helps.

Hi Glyn,

finally finished at Arms Length!

what a mission!

you brief a tanker, but none appear, nor is there an explanation from overlord... is that deliberate, some flavor text , like the tanker has gone technical etc ... might add some more to the emersion. sweaty moment landed with 1300lbs of fuel ... :)

its not clear, at least to me what the format is for the final waypoint , i figured after some trial and error that it dd mm .ssss, which i think needs to be converted to dd mm ss .ss, at least it does for pp

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Hi Glyn,

finally finished at Arms Length!

what a mission!

you brief a tanker, but none appear, nor is there an explanation from overlord... is that deliberate, some flavor text , like the tanker has gone technical etc ... might add some more to the emersion. sweaty moment landed with 1300lbs of fuel ... :)

its not clear, at least to me what the format is for the final waypoint , i figured after some trial and error that it dd mm .ssss, which i think needs to be converted to dd mm ss .ss, at least it does for pp

Hi Badger, see below

There is a heads up on the coordinate format and guidance in the pdf and screen Brief look under "TIPS".

The tanker is definitely there. You need to have killed the bandits and all four hangers. I assume you did that as you passed the mission. So what you must have done on your return is missed the 18 mile diameter trigger zone which is on the track (between Sukhumi and the targets) 29 miles from Sukhumi just as you go over the last set of mountains on your return. Think I will make it bigger still.

Must have been squeaky pants time trying to get back with that amount of fuel. Glad you made it.:thumbup:

Hope this helps

Hi Badger, see below

There is a heads up on the coordinate format and guidance in the pdf and screen Brief look under "TIPS".

The tanker is definitely there. You need to have killed the bandits and all four hangers. I assume you did that as you passed the mission. So what you must have done on your return is missed the 18 mile diameter trigger zone which is on the track (between Sukhumi and the targets) 29 miles from Sukhumi just as you go over the last set of mountains on your return. Think I will make it bigger still.

Must have been squeaky pants time trying to get back with that amount of fuel. Glad you made it.:thumbup:

Hope this helps

Hey Glyn

Thanks for that, makes sense.

Or make it an event based trigger on the back of the destruction of the fourth hanger?

Hey Glyn

Thanks for that, makes sense.

Or make it an event based trigger on the back of the destruction of the fourth hanger?

The trouble with an event trigger at the time of the 4 hangers being destroyed is that the tanker would appear at the wrong time in the mission and also in a "fence in" area. I want to increase the tension by letting the fuel run down until your return. So to get the tanker to appear at the right time and in the right position relative to the player some sort of area trigger will be involved.

The trouble with an event trigger at the time of the 4 hangers being destroyed is that the tanker would appear at the wrong time in the mission and also in a "fence in" area. I want to increase the tension by letting the fuel run down until your return. So to get the tanker to appear at the right time and in the right position relative to the player some sort of area trigger will be involved.

what about making it a trigger event based on range from the carrier and taking out a bunker that way you can build the same tension, but the trigger is then only becomes available after you have started your attack and and you are certain distance from the CV? actually at that stage you might as well just have a bigger trigger range around the airport,,, fair enough

Edited by speed-of-heat
being silly

what about making it a trigger event based on range from the carrier and taking out a bunker that way you can build the same tension, but the trigger is then only becomes available after you have started your attack and and you are certain distance from the CV? actually at that stage you might as well just have a bigger trigger range around the airport,,, fair enough

Hi

That sound like a plan. Will put it on my list for an update. At the moment I am Arse up Head down in the follow up campaign. " Rise of the Persian Lion" This a 15 mission campaign. Ford is still with us. It starts briefly in the Black Sea but he then is posted down to the Straits of Hormuz on the USS Abraham Lincoln. The recent collapse of the nuclear arms deal and resultant sanctions has created a lot of problems in the area. Of course Ford is the only one who can sort it out :thumbup:.

Have learnt a great deal from release of the Serpents Head 2. Both from an ED and user point of view. Certainly going to make the new campaign missions a lot more lenient for pilots going off route.

Thanks for your input. What's the name for a group of Badgers..... a Cete I think :)

Awesome news ... think you are correct... i must admit however my personal group noun for badgers is a "fury" :)

• 5 months later...

Hello there.

I am having an issue with the mission I am afraid. I am able to enter the precise coordinates of the 4th hangar, and the height, not a problem. But the bomb does not hit the target. I have followed the bomb, but it hits near the runway, but not the hangar.

It is not that the SA knocks it out, but it is as if the "coordinates" were not completely correct. Anyone else with the same issue? Any clues?

As a note, I am entering the coordinates in precise mode, four digits at the time for each one. For instance: N 44 14 ENTER, 18 27 ENTER.  For E 43 06 ENTER, 13 67 ENTER.

I have tried twice already with the same outcome.

Help would be appreciated please.

I just flew this mission last week, the coordinates were correct and the bomb hit dead on. Sorry I can't offer any help other than reassurance that the mission is correct. I'm using open beta, in case that makes a difference.

Win10 x64, 16 GB RAM, Ryzen 5 1600X @3.60 GHz, 500 GB SSD, GeForce 1080 Ti

59 minutes ago, john_e_alarcon said:

Hello there.

I am having an issue with the mission I am afraid. I am able to enter the precise coordinates of the 4th hangar, and the height, not a problem. But the bomb does not hit the target. I have followed the bomb, but it hits near the runway, but not the hangar.

It is not that the SA knocks it out, but it is as if the "coordinates" were not completely correct. Anyone else with the same issue? Any clues?

As a note, I am entering the coordinates in precise mode, four digits at the time for each one. For instance: N 44 14 ENTER, 18 27 ENTER.  For E 43 06 ENTER, 13 67 ENTER.

I have tried twice already with the same outcome.

Help would be appreciated please.

Did you set the ELEVATION?  Should be set for 1043 ft.  If you left it zero that might cause the miss.

I think in the briefing text it mentions changing the jets coordinate settings to accept them in the format they're given in - I didn't know that was possible,  so I learnt from this!

Win10 x64, 16 GB RAM, Ryzen 5 1600X @3.60 GHz, 500 GB SSD, GeForce 1080 Ti

23 minutes ago, john_e_alarcon said:

Sorry guys...I know what it was. The coordinates provided are DD MM SS Decimal SS, while the precise coordinates in the HSI data are DD MM decimal Minutes.  That made the trick!

So N 44 13 18.27 should be N 44 13 ENTER 30 45 ENTER

Good.  I just thought of that and came back to suggest that as possibly the problem.  As Teeps discovered, in the HSI if you go to the data page/AC page (OSB 6) you can change your entry from DD MM.MM to DD MM SS.SS (OSB 15) to save having to convert.

1 hour ago, john_e_alarcon said:

Fantastic. Thansks Teeps and Rob10. We all learn new things by the day!

Hi

The coordinates etc are explained in the brief and how to change them is also covered.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got a mission fail after engaging the MiGs on the route to the target. Shot one down along with the other F-18 then proceeded to the target. But then got the fail message. Why?

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5