Kiowa practice, use Huey or Balck Shark?

gdotts

Since I don't know which best to practice with for the up and coming Kiowa. Which FM best mimics Kiowa, Huey or Black Shark? My only real flight problem is defiantly just landing. I have both helicopters, seems to me Huey is tougher to land than Black Shark in that aspect with KA-50's counter rotating rotors. Kiowa has one rotating rotor and should I think follow along with the Huey in landing. Maybe Kiowa is more forgiving in landing than Huey...I don't know??? any DCS Kiowa pilots that can compare the three?

By the way... I just downloaded Syria map and the graphics are beyond any terrain to date, so much maxed out detail EVERYWHERE! Fantastic job on the map!! Thank You.

Can't say about the Kiowa vs. Huey, but I can recommend to learn basics in the Huey, as both are classic tailrotor type helicopters.

The Ka-50 is different in multiple aspects. Including the coaxial rotors, but the stabilization/flight director/Autopilot system that's actually flying the thing, as well. The Huey will at least teach you how to get in a stable hover with the dependencies between all the three inputs collective, cyclic and rudder. Give you good indication of VRS and translational lift.

Don't expect the Kiowa to be totally similar. There are so many differences as number of rotor blades, two turbines, mast (higher center of mass) etc. that will make flying the Kiowa unique, but the Huey is a good training for classic helo flying, in general.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I agree, fly the Huey around a bit, that will give you a good foundation to build off of

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I totally agree with Shagrat, the Huey is the best DCS Helo to build basic piloting skills on. I usually jump in the Huey to get my muscle memory back in shape when I haven't flown helos for a while. The Huey is like a demanding mistress, she requires your complete attention at all times. And you'll pay the price for one moment of inattention!

According to Polychop, having a good handle on the gazelle is recommended before flying the 58D because both choppers are very twitchy and the OH tactics are quite similar.

The Huey is a nice chopper to learn how to fly helicopters in general. It is very easy to handle and has no complex systems to manage.

So if you are new to helicopter, yes, you would need to start with the Huey. Now if you are already a confirmed DCS RW pilot, you should fly as much as you can on the gazelle to make the transition to the 58D more easily.

Ah yes, as for the Ka50, completely different chopper. No real use to fly her if you plan to go to the 58.

Edited by BaD CrC

I find it interesting to see how the Mi-8 is completely hidden here. Besides the HUEY, it has one of the best Heli FM here in DCS. The experience I've had: If you can handle the Mi well, intercept autorotation and VRS well with this 'flying armored personnel carrier', then the HUEY runs alongside (sounds a bit arrogant, but I don't know how to put it otherwise ). KA is really different again, I agree.

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

According to Polychop, having a good handle on the gazelle is recommended before flying the 58D because both choppers are very twitchy and the OH tactics are quite similar.

That is what actually scares me, as the Gazelle behaves often completely unexpected manner. Suddenly it just does something differently that you made earlier.

I wouldn't take Gazelle seriously for any training phase with its current flight modeling.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Mi8 is an awesome RW module. It should be a logical transition from the Huey if you are into a lift platoon once you got the full hang on the Huey. FM is great, systems are a lot more complex to handle and it flies like a big bus so it is not much harder to fly than the Huey except that she is more prone to VRS. Mi8 is a great chopper to train on if you want to transition later to the Mi24 since it's got very similar systems and the Mi24 is after all a glorified Mi8. (don't shoot me here! :)).

But the Huey is still benefiting from his aura and reputation. Certainly the most popular module for our squad with nearly 60% of our pilots flying it. Not a lot we can do about this.

That is what actually scares me, as the Gazelle behaves often completely unexpected manner. Suddenly it just does something differently that you made earlier.

I wouldn't take Gazelle seriously for any training phase with its current flight modeling.

The gazelle is the most fun chopper to fly in DCS. Never got surprised by her unless I am trying to fly in ways that I won't do IRL, which would also go against the basic principles of flying a sim. Unlike the other DCS RW, she requires some tweaks on the axis curves to be completely fine to fly but once you got that, it no better or worse than any other RW modules. (I hope we won't start another FM discussion here because I can't take it anymore). Casmo, an actual OH-58D pilot took the gazelle for a spin recently.

Flying the Huey or the Mi8, it's a bit like driving a pickup truck. It's stable and accessible to anyone. Flying the Gazelle is more like a fast sport car. You cannot fly her the same ways.

Edited by BaD CrC

@Fri13 I also find the Gazelle to be the most difficult DCS Helo to fly. I fly the rest of my DCS modules with no curves or very little curve at all. The Gazelle is the exception to that rule. A friend of mine gave me a set of curves that he got from a real life Gazelle pilot that tames the Gazelle somewhat.

Collective

Deadzone = 0

Saturation X = 100

Saturation Y = 70

Curvature = 0

Cyclic Pitch

Deadzone = 0

Saturation X = 100

Saturation Y = 40

Curvature = 0

Cyclic Roll

Deadzone = 0

Saturation X = 100

Saturation Y = 25

Curvature = 0

Rudder

Deadzone = 0

Saturation X = 100

Saturation Y = 60

Curvature = 0

I hope this set of curves helps.

You are understanding wrong. The gazelle is not difficult to fly but easiest to fly. It is nothing like a Huey or a Hip, even KA-50 is more demanding.

Need to record a video about it....

I hope this set of curves helps.

Those settings transform the Gazelle and make it a joy to fly *if* you use a regular HOTAS setup meant for fixed wing use, which I expect most people in DCS who fly helicopters use. I tried those with my Warthog and I was impressed!

I wouldn't recommend those if you have a proper helicopter replica setup though: in that case the saturation should be set far less aggressively, imo.

I use saturation 80 for both pitch and roll (IIRC), using my Pro Flight Trainer, for more intuitive fingertip flying. But every setup is different :)

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I'm not even going to try and prepare for Kiowa. Why? Because nothing else in DCS is going to compare. How do I know that? I have limited insider knowledge on the Kiowa and how they're testing it. I'm not talking about giving it to streamers and youtubers to fly for publicity i'm talking behind the scenes testing. I'm hesitant to go in to more detail for fear of annoying Polychop (I'm friendly with Sven) so you'll just have to take my word for it, or wait for Polychop to go in to more detail on how they've testing the aircraft themselves.

I will say this though, i'm anticipating a lot of people getting the Kiowa and then complaining on the forums because its "too hard", and it's my guess is Polychop are expecting the same thing. My hope is that Polychop will go out of there way to demonstrate that actually the aircraft is as true to its real life counterpart as possible because based on what i've been told it's going to be amazing and deserves every chance!

100% getting the aircraft on release.

Edited by Recon21288

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.4GHz (Turbo's to 4.0GHz) ¦ x2 8GB Gskill Trident Z DDR4-3000 ¦EVGA GTX 1070 ¦ Asus prime X370-Pro ATX AM4 ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog ¦ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals ¦ Track IR

FC3 ¦ F5 ¦ M2000C ¦ AV8B ¦ A10C ¦ F18C ¦ F16C ¦ SA432 ¦ UH1H ¦ MI8 ¦ KA50 ¦ NEVADA ¦ CAUCASUS ¦ PERSIAN GULF ¦ NORMANDY ¦ Supercarrier |

Wish List:

RAF Tornado GR4

RAF CH-47 Chinook Mk6

RAF Hawker Typhoon (Warbird)

http://www.twitch.tv/uncappingbadger

(I'm friendly with Sven)

So am I, and I'm impressed by what I have seen and read so far. Really looking forward to flying it! :thumbup:

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I would say the Gazelle.

Others are too heavy and too slow to react to cyclic inputs.

The MI-8 and Huey are perfect for learning choppers for the first time as they are forgiving... especially the Huey.

But the gazelle will prepare you for TWITCH.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Today I tested the axis settings shown here for the gazelle together with the extension from sahaj for the Warthog stick. The module makes definitely more fun now.

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

Problem with Gazelle still is that it does not react to inputs linear manner. It has own deadzones where it ignores input and then suddenly just react to them. And then it flies like on rail where cyclic is like "set the flight angle" instead "set the roll rate" and when input is inside the deadzone then the helicopter stays in that atti tude forever. One can disable trim and autopilots and Gazelle flies by itself just with the cyclic, what makes it super easy to fly as it is like a small fighter jet that flies 60-80 km/h.

So if Kiowa will be anywhere near that, it is just super easy to fly without any weight, gyroscopic effects and forces affecting the air.