Interactive Kneeboard Extension

Hollywood_315

I've been using VAICOM Pro for a week now. Everything else seems to be working fine but for some reason the Interactive Kneeboard won't open and I can't interact with tabs etc. Is there something special I need to enable or do to get the kneeboard working? 

Are you running as Admin?

Are you using VSPX?

Do you have Extended Command Set Option ticked (I'm unsure if this is really necessary or not)

When you say it's not working, what exactly are you experiencing, when you page through the kneeboard do you see the Interactive Kneeboard Page with it's associated Yellow sticker and the tabs, or just white page or nothing at all?

Others have had problems with Tab selection but AFAIK I haven't heard of anybody not getting it ro register at all (except if it's not registered.)

If I use another profile without Vaicom running I see a blank white page where the Interactive kneeboard page is

Yes, I'm running it as Admin. Tried VSPX on and off but it made no difference. Extended Command Set Option is ticket as well.

The problem is that I can't neither open the kneeboard or select the tabs by using the voice commands. The kneeboard opens normally when I press K and I can see it marked with yellow sticker. I'm not a native English speaker but VA recognizes my other radio calls very well in general so that's not likely the cause either.

Could it be that something has been broken by mods or the Kneeboard builder? I mean it doesn't make sense to me that the other commands are working flawlessly.

Edited by Miller

There have been others having problems with navigating the tabs and opening the kneeboard, if that's what you're referring to.

If I understand you can see the page and I'm guessing that you're trying to open the kneeboard using the embedded Vaicom command "kneeboard" and nothing happens then using the Vaicom commands to select the tabs. This seems to be a recurring problem for some and not for others.

First check to see the command is being recognized by Voice Attack by checking in the Voice Attack command window. That will show you if Voice Attack understands the commands and is passing them through to Vaicom. I'm pretty certain this will be happening but check it anyway.

A propsed workaround would be to try placing commands into the Voice Attack Vaicom profile to navigate the tabs. How to do this is explained on page 46 of the manual. In there Holllywood suggests that it's used for joystick buttons or keyboard keys. However you can also use it as a voice activated command instead, depending on what you want to do.

As I'm using VSPX this is the method I'm using, there are/were some problems with tab activation when using VSPX and trying to call the kneeboard internally from the embedded Vaicom commands, so I'd try to make "external" commands as explained in the manual for navigating the tabs first and see if it works.

I know you may not be running VSPX, but using a command within the profile seemed to have worked for some people (but not all) who experienced this problem

If it does then perhaps another workaround for opening the kneeboard at the interactive page might be (depending on the module) to make a keybind for one of the keyboard commands that can jump to a shortcut on the kneeboard. Make that into a voice command to open the kneeboard at the Interactive page. I haven't actually tried that myself though as I'm running my own profile that pages to various sheets by counting up or down the kneeboard so I don't need to do that.

If you are having problems making the commands, I have no idea of your skills (some are way more competent than me with Voice Attack, others don't know where to start) post again and I'll try to help you with the commands for paging through the tabs

Although in the picture below the commands are marked voice disabled, that's because I'm using my own profile to activate the Interactive kneeboard tabs, which is appended to the Vaicom profile. When you make the commands make them voice activated to try them out

EK-OvYaSc8raImYr3sqZKJOZHDRY5GABj03-7xa0

h-Ln2ZcNJ52FK0TIuzt4NXAvDKGe0Ph6gjM0AFlu

Edited by Weegie
  • Like 1

I've been looking at the VIACOM PRO for DCS profile at VA and there doesn't seem to be spoken commands for kneeboard at all. As a result it's not recognized by VA. I can find all other commands in the list but nothing regarding the kneeboard. Is there a way to add the kneeboard commands somehow or have I missed something when installing the software?

59 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

can't see your images

They're showing on my PC

Try this

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GuEPWH2ir6DuykQi9

&

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LqSJQFSRxD58PiJ56

15 minutes ago, Miller said:

I've been looking at the VIACOM PRO for DCS profile at VA and there doesn't seem to be spoken commands for kneeboard at all. As a result it's not recognized by VA. I can find all other commands in the list but nothing regarding the kneeboard. Is there a way to add the kneeboard commands somehow or have I missed something when installing the software?

Are you saying the words aren't in your Keywords in the Editor? If they aren't then that would explain it. If they are in the Keyword but not in the VA Vaicom profile try hitting Finish on the Editor that should paste all the keywords in the Database to the Clipboard then follow the instructions to insert them into the profile

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Weegie said:

Are you saying the words aren't in your Keywords in the Editor? If they aren't then that would explain it. If they are in the Keyword but not in the VA Vaicom profile try hitting Finish on the Editor that should paste all the keywords in the Database to the Clipboard then follow the instructions to insert them into the profile

That's exactly what meant. I manually updated the list in the editor which solved the problem. I was left thinking why the words weren't there in the first place but at least it's working now. 

Thanks a lot for your support Weegie! 

• Thanks 1

It sounds like you didn’t complete the finish steps before...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Hmm I purchased this extension but have yet to check it out, guess I should do that soon.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Adding custom Kneeboard pages to f.ex:

C:\Users\[User Name]\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Kneeboard\FA-18C_hornet\

....removes the VAICOM Kneeboard pages.

How to fix ?

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

i have added pages to there and the custom kneeboard works just fine? 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

sorry the viacom kneeboards also work fine for me

Edited by speed-of-heat

Not sure what happened, but restarting DCS helped getting the VAICOM Kneeboard back together with my own custom Kneeboard page.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Interesting problem I'm having... with the newest OpenBeta, DCS is crashing when I use the dictate commands.

dcs.log

dcs.log-20210131-001240.zip

Edited by RogueSqdn

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

I have a few questions re the kneeboard.  

1 - LOG Page - No matter what I try I can not get the LOG page to display I've tried "Show Log" and "Log Page".  I hear a beep but the view never changes to the LOG page?

2 - What is the LOG page supposed to display?  I've read the manual on the Kneeboard and there is no description of the function of the LOG page.

3 - I noticed at the bottom left hand corner sometimes the word PIN is displayed along with a left and right arrow.  Since I fly in VR it takes some messing around with the mouse to get this to appear.  The left/right switch page but what is PIN supposed to do?  

Thanks in advance for your help!

Win 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-7700k@4.2GHz, MSI 1080Ti , 16 GB, 500GB SSD, LG 34UM95, Acer T232HL, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

45 minutes ago, CrackerJack said:

I have a few questions re the kneeboard.  

1 - LOG Page - No matter what I try I can not get the LOG page to display I've tried "Show Log" and "Log Page".  I hear a beep but the view never changes to the LOG page?

2 - What is the LOG page supposed to display?  I've read the manual on the Kneeboard and there is no description of the function of the LOG page.

3 - I noticed at the bottom left hand corner sometimes the word PIN is displayed along with a left and right arrow.  Since I fly in VR it takes some messing around with the mouse to get this to appear.  The left/right switch page but what is PIN supposed to do?  

Thanks in advance for your help!

Try Show...Tasking Order - it should give you the mission briefing

Pin is the DCS kneeboard and adds a bookmark for the page you are showing

Edited by hornblower793

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

• 2 weeks later...

Im loving the progress so far on this tool.  its a great first iteration, but i have a few use-cases and options i would like to see exposed.

I have been trying to get control of the initial height and width of the kneeboard. at 4k it opens up way too large. 

also, i like the automatic voice-driven tabs, but i wish there was an option to not reset the tabs upon recognized command issued.  I say 'jester' to goto the page and issue maybe 3 or more commands, and after the first, it jumps me away from the page.

as a paid product, i wouldnt mind if this got its own tab in the configuration tool and provided a bit more customizability than just a transparency slider.

Edited by marcocom

Well we just need more granular control than that.  see, auto-browse to the page is useful, its the auto-browse away from that page (for really only having issued a single command from that page. its usefulness as a dynamic dialogue-reference for AIRIO and ATC is almost as important to me as its other logging functionalities ) back to the primary Log page that should have a useful option to toggle that. 

more options for driving this rather awesome and complex mod would be welcomed.  height-width resizing (i see the values hardcoded in the lua) and what else?, contrast or optional background texture?  clickable tabs. am i the only person who thinks the EX tab in options UI is growing into a bit more than can fit in one tab?  are we limiting options just to fit in there?

I'm not aware of anything available right now that could do what you want. I use my own profile to call kneeboard pages I want to look at and do that for the Interactive Kneeboard tabs as well.

If you were looking for some sort of halfway house, how about asking Hollywood to make command that could switch the Auto Browse On/Off via the Execute External Plug In command in VA. Alternately if AutoBrowse could be switched On/Off for just particular tabs

Personally I'm just pleased that it can be switched off as it messed up my kneeboard profile