Interactive Kneeboard Extension

Hollywood_315

This isn't a separate kneeboard to the standard DCS one, it just adds the Vaicom kneeboards on top. I think the sizing is therefore a DCS issue

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Hi guys, just wondering does this provide voice interaction with the standard DCS knee board or just with the Viacom pages that I’ve seen in the screenshots?

While I see people are saying they are still using their own custom knee boards with it, I’m confused on how to make that actually happen.

What happens about campaign mission briefings, maps, F14 kneeboard pages etc?   

sorry for the questions but I’m just rather confused right now.   

This appears to give me the main solution to copying 9 lines in VR which I’m after, but obviously still need access to the standard DCs kneeboard as well, pref by using my voice in a similar fashion changing the tabs on the Viacom pages.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

1 hour ago, Cowboy10uk said:

Hi guys, just wondering does this provide voice interaction with the standard DCS knee board or just with the Viacom pages that I’ve seen in the screenshots?

While I see people are saying they are still using their own custom knee boards with it, I’m confused on how to make that actually happen.

What happens about campaign mission briefings, maps, F14 kneeboard pages etc?   

sorry for the questions but I’m just rather confused right now.   

This appears to give me the main solution to copying 9 lines in VR which I’m after, but obviously still need access to the standard DCs kneeboard as well, pref by using my voice in a similar fashion changing the tabs on the Viacom pages.

The extension adds one extra page to the regular kneeboard but that page has many tabs and so it seems as if there are many additional pages. VAICOM confusingly calls the individual tabs "pages" even though they are not separate kneeboard pages. In particular, the ordinary DCS next/prev kneeboard page commands treat the VAICOM page as one page and do not work to switch between tabs on that page. The shortcut commands treat the VAICOM page as one page too, so you can't make shortcuts to individual tabs.

You cannot click on the tabs to select them. Without extra programming the only way to switch between tabs on the VAICOM page is to use voice commands. On the other hand, the voice commands do not provide a general means of navigating between other pages of the kneeboard other than the one added by VAICOM. The extension also includes a voice command for opening and closing the kneeboard, or for opening it directly to one of the VAICOM tabs.

Otherwise it is all the regular kneeboard. You do not gain or lose any functionality with respect to other custom or default pages. Pages added by individual modules (e.g. F-14) are still there for example, as are pages for mission briefings, maps, etc., to the extent that they were there already.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

@sthompson nice descritption of the capabilites.

It's not rocket science though to write a VA command for each of the individual tabs, you page to wherever the Interactive Kneeboard page is using the standard page up/down commands then add in the "Execute an External Plug in" command in VA to get the relevant tab. Hollywood details it in the manual, pg 46.

You can activate these commands using hardware or voice activation.

@Bailey has a whole raft of very capable VA profiles and the last I looked has options for paging in the DCS kneeboard with them. These could easily be appended to include the Interactive Kneboard.

I don't know how you currently have the DCS kneeboard setup or if you use voice commands to go directly to certain pages, but if you use a standard profile then it can be pretty easily automated to page directly to a requested page via a voice command. The interactive kneeboard tabs can then also be added as commands that take you directly to the desired tab.

I use a standard profile for my kneeboard, in the Cauacasus for example I request an airfield's data sheets and VA will page the kneeboard to these sheets (well most of the time). I added the Interactive kneeboard tabs to do something similar.

To stop going Off Topic and thread drift, drop me a PM if you want to go into this sort of thing further and I'll try to help, I'm no programmer but spent a little time with Voice Attack

Edited by Weegie

1 hour ago, Weegie said:

@sthompson nice descritption of the capabilites.

It's not rocket science though to write a VA command for each of the individual tabs, you page to wherever the Interactive Kneeboard page is using the standard page up/down commands then add in the "Execute an External Plug in" command in VA to get the relevant tab. Hollywood details it in the manual, pg 46.

You can activate these commands using hardware or voice activation.

@Bailey has a whole raft of very capable VA profiles and the last I looked has options for paging in the DCS kneeboard with them. These could easily be appended to include the Interactive Kneboard.

I don't know how you currently have the DCS kneeboard setup or if you use voice commands to go directly to certain pages, but if you use a standard profile then it can be pretty easily automated to page directly to a requested page via a voice command. The interactive kneeboard tabs can then also be added as commands that take you directly to the desired tab.

I use a standard profile for my kneeboard, in the Cauacasus for example I request an airfield's data sheets and VA will page the kneeboard to these sheets (well most of the time). I added the Interactive kneeboard tabs to do something similar.

To stop going Off Topic and thread drift, drop me a PM if you want to go into this sort of thing further and I'll try to help, I'm no programmer but spent a little time with Voice Attack

Cheers mate, but watching some of your posts and certainly your kneeboard seems to work similar to what I’m after.   Just asking for maps or airfield plates etc as well as the normal commands for the Viacom interactive kneeboard would be perfect. 

I saw Baileys voice attack profile in the downloads about an hr ago, so was planning on downloading that and then hopefully being able to add the kneeboard commmands to the Viacom profile, should do the trick.   

at mo the only kneeboard extra I have is the Viacom one which I grabbed yesterday, so all very very new to me.   Despite using DCS for years, I’ve never really looked further than the default features.   But as I’m planning on utilising VR pretty much permanently now in sim, after getting a quest 2, I’m looking at options to help me interact with the kneeboard, 9 line data etc.   All stuff that I did via the keyboard or physical pen and paper before, but which wouldn’t be practical wearing a VR headset. 

The Viacom interactive kneeboard solves the majority of the issues I’m concerned about, now it’s just getting a similar functionality with the default kneeboard.    Move pages left and right, mark map etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

How about this for a good alternative, if feasable:  VA-actuated Pins

User could pin sub pages and then "SHOW PIN 2" or something similar to drill-down to that particular page. (i imagine there is no code-hook for knowing which pages are which, as they are just flat graphics mostly)  Its a feature-request, but would really allow users to make some useful pages to quick-reference.

Thanks for your consideration

2 hours ago, marcocom said:

How about this for a good alternative, if feasable:  VA-actuated Pins

User could pin sub pages and then "SHOW PIN 2" or something similar to drill-down to that particular page. (i imagine there is no code-hook for knowing which pages are which, as they are just flat graphics mostly)  Its a feature-request, but would really allow users to make some useful pages to quick-reference.

Thanks for your consideration

The "pin" function in DCS is the same as "make shortcut" and applies to individual kneeboard pages. You certainly can make a voice command in voiceattack to execute that command, provided you first bind it to a key in DCS. And you could make voice commands to go to the next or previous shortcut. None of that would have anything to do with VAICOM PRO, however. You mention "subpages" and by that I assume you mean the tabs on the VAICOM page. You can't pin those individually, but you can pin the VAICOM page and then use the VAICOM voice commands to choose among the tabs. Unfortunately the shortcuts all disappear when you exit a module, however.

• Like 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

Anyone else have issues with the kneeboard popping up with random words? I find it sometimes triggers when in game ATC or AWACS talks. Especially when AWACS says "Hot". Saying AWACS or JTAC also closes the kneeboard.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

I think you need to search the whole forum for this - the Interactive Kneeboard is just an extension of the overall DCS kneeboard, so you need to look for threads discussing the export of the DCS kneeboard

• Like 1

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Hi all,
I’m using VSPX and am trying to get the kneeboard to show up. I read it doesn’t work with VSPX OOB, but is there any way I can add a custom command to achieve that ?
Cheers,
I have added it in my "general" Voice Attack profile, which I've added as a global profile in VA.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BlackSharkAce said:

Hi all,

I’m using VSPX and am trying to get the kneeboard to show up. I read it doesn’t work with VSPX OOB, but is there any way I can add a custom command to achieve that ?

Cheers,

Not sure of your problem and don't understand the OOB bit. I'm using VSPX and like MAXsenna added the commands detailed in page 46

However you state that you can't get the kneeboard to show up, so I'm at a bit of a loss there as it shows as just another page on the standard DCS kneeboard.

Have you actually purchased it yet or are you just enquiring pre purchase to make sure it will work for your setup?

By adding the "Execute an external plug in" commands for the tabs and then using a command to open/close and page the kneeboard within the module (as you would normally to look at a kneeboard page) it should work.

You can also leave the AutoBrowse function checked in the Vaicom window under the  Ex Tab and it will page to the relevant position when it has info to display, so then all you need to do is open the Kneeboard.

• Like 2

Not sure of your problem and don't understand the OOB bit. I'm using VSPX and like MAXsenna added the commands detailed in page 46

However you state that you can't get the kneeboard to show up, so I'm at a bit of a loss there as it shows as just another page on the standard DCS kneeboard.
Have you actually purchased it yet or are you just enquiring pre purchase to make sure it will work for your setup?

By adding the "Execute an external plug in" commands for the tabs and then using a command to open/close and page the kneeboard within the module (as you would normally to look at a kneeboard page) it should work.

You can also leave the AutoBrowse function checked in the Vaicom window under the  Ex Tab and it will page to the relevant position when it has info to display, so then all you need to do is open the Kneeboard.

What I mean is that I am using VSPX and when I say « kneeboard » nothing happens. I see my text is recognized in the VA log, but the kneeboard does not show up in DCS. If I use the normal speak engine it works.

Following page 46, which « plugin context » can I use to show/hide the kneeboard ?

1 hour ago, BlackSharkAce said:

What I mean is that I am using VSPX and when I say « kneeboard » nothing happens. I see my text is recognized in the VA log, but the kneeboard does not show up in DCS. If I use the normal speak engine it works.

Following page 46, which « plugin context » can I use to show/hide the kneeboard ?

I have mine configured, a little differently as I use VA to call all my kneeboard pages, so I have the AutoBrowse disabled and page using a loop function in Voice Attack

You don't need the "Execute a plug in function" to open close (or page forward/back etc:) with the kneeboard.

Simply use the keystroke commands contained within the DCS Controls pages, normally it's R_SHIFT+K (Mig-21 is something else but just change the keystroke to the same as all the others) to open the kneeboard add that to your Vaicom profile and have it activated via "When I Say" and call it Open Kneeboard or just Kneeboard of whatever you like.

With the Interactive Kneeboard activated the DCS kneeboard defaults to the Interactive kneeboard page for all the modules I have and all the maps (and I have most of them)

So unless you page away from the Interactive Kneeboard to somewhere else whenever you open the kneeboard it will show that page

As far as the tabs go the manual talks about activating via HOTAS but instead just voice activate them instead

I've attached a small file giving the commands if it helps, just copy them from the profile into your Vaicom profile and rename the commands to whatever works for you

Here's a demo (made for another member) showing the way I've got it setup, (it goes on too long as it was mafde to demo other stuff). Far from perfect but suits me.

Interactive Kneeboard-Profile.zip

• Like 2

I really like the kneeboard addition to Vaicom Pro.  Well worth the money for someone new to Vaicom just for the phrase cheat sheet on each tab.  If the dictate voice commands could be listed on the "Notes" tab it would great!

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

Love this functionality especially in VR. However, it does not appear on the C101 or Fw190D - not that I need it much in these modules. Am I doing something wrong or is it not available for these aircraft? Works a treat with everything else but just an empty box with a border and no page for these 2.

Thanks.

Edit : 190d now works after selecting easy Comms and then switching back. Nothing on C101. 

Edited by bazza772

Sorry not much help

I don't have the C101, but I just posted to say that there is a known problem with all the warbirds and Easy Comms has to be enabled to get the radios to work with Vaicom, so your problem with the D9 is probably linked to that

I have no clue if the problem is on Holywood's or Ed's side, but it would be nice to see it fixed

Does this log radio messages as well? I'm a VR player and want to try the Enemy Within campaign, but have held off so far as I understand there is a lot of custom radio messages that have target coordinates outside of the JTAC. I'm hoping this is the solution that I am looking for. 

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

is there anyway for the kneeboard to know the time and use a less "luminous" overlay ? at night?

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

19 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

is there anyway for the kneeboard to know the time and use a less "luminous" overlay ? at night?

A real time clock to go with the total mission time would be excellent!

• Like 1

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 2:07 PM, SPAS79 said:

I'll try to do that. The issue is it's never been completely repeatable. Sometimes it works, sometimes when I call ATC...page it closes my kneeboard, sometimes it just beeps and recognizes the command but does nothing, other times messes up VoiceAttack entirely and starts generating random keystrokes etc. Or freezes voiceattack and I have to restart it.

So really, seems broken in a way that is beyond my understanding. I simply don't know what to report, other than this and the fact that I am not the only one with this type of issue tells me something somewhere is broken, software side, not user side.

i have exactly the same issue, did you manage to fix it?