Syria possible performance increase tip

REDEYE_CVW-66

I tried what another use mentioned (In some thread) and set my preload radious to around 50% and the effect was DRAMATIC.

Even though I have a pretty beefy setup, I struggled with erratic FPS and stutters at fairly conservative 2d settings (No ULTRA, shadows medium, low traffic, 2x msaa).

After doing the tweak above I am experiencing a MUCH smoother experience and higher performance overall.

Your mileage may vary- but it is certainly worth a try.

• Thanks 1

My setup is pretty much all candies maxxed out, MSAA at 4x and AAF 16x. Constant FPS in Multiplayer servers between 37 and 50 BUT in dense airfield areas such as Incirlik some stutters every few seconds. Lowering preload radius to 70 (000) i.e. 70km did the trick for me - no stutters - and had no influence on my "immersive experience" over this extremely detailed and beautiful map. Did not try 50 as per now.

Everyone experiencing stutters may try reducing the preload as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB

The only way I can completely eradicate the stutters is if I clear out the FXO file every time I load DCS when using the Syria map.

Have you ever tried not to use "shader cache" set to ON in the NVIDIA panel?

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Have you ever tried not to use "shader cache" set to ON in the NVIDIA panel?

Never thought about turning it off to be honest. I'm not even sure if the cache is held in memory or if it is just temporary physical disk space set aside for use.

I would say by your suggestion that it is memory based? good tip though i will try this and see if there is any effect.

Thanks for the tip

My understanding was that the shaders are then only stored in RAM with the advantage to have them always "fresh" built on the current configuration of DCS and NVIDIA.

Although, after testing it with "Shader cache" to OFF, DCS still stores the fxo and meta2 files on my disk ... *grmpf* :noexpression:

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Just noticed that 28GB of my 32GB of memory is being used in multiplayer when on the Syria map...

Bottom line is i think there are just too many lovely looking textures in the map that is hitting performance in ways that the other DCS maps don't do, I've slowly been scaling back options in an attempt to get this map working as smoothly as the others but when I saw just how much of my system memory is being used just for this map I know this is going to be an on going problem....

I also noticed that the used memory is not being dumped when you quit out of the map and you are sat in the DCS menu..

Stuff only ED can change i think.

What "preload radius" option does?

Does the lowest radius represents the best performance and the worst end of video quality?

Nothing about quality. Lower preload radius > faster loading ...which implies more space to load other stuff faster > less stutter i think.

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

Nothing about quality. Lower preload radius > faster loading ...which implies more space to load other stuff faster > less stutter i think.

OK, I can understand that - makes sense.:) Is there a distance correlation to the % reduction? i.e. does 50% = 10 Nm or 25 Km or something like that?

R/ Hangar 200

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OK, I can understand that - makes sense.:) Is there a distance correlation to the % reduction? i.e. does 50% = 10 Nm or 25 Km or something like that?

As far as I understand it 50% means 50km preload "i.e. visibility range" which is quite far IRL as the air is congested almot every day with particles.

I also turned down terrain textures to LOW with absolutely no impact on immersion (= I see no difference even flying low in a helo) but gain some frames.

Edited by docWilly

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB