ALT Forests Layer covers important details

Statua

-EDITED SINCE THIS WAS PARTIALLY FIXED-

The latest update fixed the roads and objects being hidden but the terrain contour lines are still missing. Worse now, you cannot hide the green overlay so placing anything in a hilly area is a headache and a half and trying to place objects in flat locations in the Nur mountains is nearly impossible.

Screen_200827_011541.png

Edited by Statua

This is immensely frustrating and I'm concerned it's not being addressed. This first image is of a mountainous area in the ALT view. Imagine trying to place a FOB or SAM site here, not knowing if its in a valley, on the side of a steep hill, hanging off a cliff, or at the top of a peak.

Screen_200907_155855.png

This second image is a cropped and blown up photo of the same area zoomed out to the point the green layer no longer shows. As you can see, it is immensely varied with very important contour lines finally showing up.

Capture.JPG

Flappie has brought some insight to this issue with a temporary workaround.

Edit this file: \DCS World OpenBeta\Config\terrain\terrainoptions41.lua

Find "hiddensemantics"

and simply uncomment "Forest".

This is honestly the most ideal view of the forest layer in my opinion. You can still see the trees at higher zoom levels and the terrain underneath. I hope for the sake of everyone working on missions in the mountains this gets implemented in one way or another.

Screen_200907_163758.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Agree. Very annoying not being able to see elevation and contours.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Thirded, though at least in the recent Wags preview of Cyprus we can see the updated map layer, which demonstrated a different shade of green with clearly visible contour lines. I would hazard a guess that the Cyprus update at the earliest would be when we see this change brought to open beta.
(seen here: https://youtu.be/MPBM8XHFWW8?t=87)

Edited by Aarnoman

1 hour ago, Aarnoman said:

Thirded, though at least in the recent Wags preview of Cyprus we can see the updated map layer, which demonstrated a different shade of green with clearly visible contour lines. I would hazard a guess that the Cyprus update at the earliest would be when we see this change brought to open beta.
(seen here: https://youtu.be/MPBM8XHFWW8?t=87)

Good find! I hope this applies to the forest layer in general across the map.

7 minutes ago, Statua said:

Good find! I hope this applies to the forest layer in general across the map.

Layers of these kind are global on a per map basis in DCS, so would affect all forest regions including on the mainland in Syria/Turkey/etc 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you 👍

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |