Which HOTAS Should I buy?

Hi All!

Well I am at wit's end looking at reviews and I don't know which way is up anymore. I currently have a Logitech X56 HOTAS and while I like it and everything I'm looking to buy something else. That's only because I have a sum of money that I need to spend from a lawsuit settlement by mid-September and if I don't I'll lose it. I'm looking to spend about $1800 on a VR Headset and HOTAS and rudder pedals. I've looked at so many out there from the VIRPIL to the Warthog and I have no clue what to buy. Any recommendations? The rest of the money is being spent on an upgraded graphics card(at least a 2070 Super but hoping for a 2080ti), 2 new monitors, and I'm upgrading my DSLR camera and getting the camera set up of my dreams among other things like paying off a good chunk of what I owe on my car. Any assistance you all can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

DevPreach

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X OC'd to 4.4 GHz on all 8 Cores, Asus ROG STRIX GAMING-E MOBO, 3XWD Blue 500GB SSD, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB PCIE SSD, Seagate 4TB 7200RPM HDD, GIGABYTE AORUS AMD RADEON RX VEGA 56 Graphics Card, EVGA G2 SUPERNOVA 1000W PSU, THERMALTAKE VIEW 71 TG CASE, Saitek X56 Rhino HOTAS

I am just going to be boring and say that for 1700 you could be looking at a warthog throttle/stick. TM TPR rudder pedals and a reverb G2. A 2080ti should do well enough wiht the reverb.

All is good gear that I dont think you would regret and fit within the budget without problem.

so , i have been really happy with my Warthog and i have peddles from MFG, if you can find them ...

would honestly wait if you can for your gfx card, if you can't wait (we don't know when the next gen cards will ship) buy from EVGA which has a 90 day step up program https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/ which enables you to upgrade the card to what ever else is available ...for example a 3070

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I have been very pleased with my VKB Gunfighter Mk III Pro L , along with Warthog Throttle and MFG Crosswind Pedals.

You can see my review of the Gunfighter stick with the link in my sig.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

We do know when, the next generation of cards will launch the first of september, next week, and be available for purchase almost immediately after that point.

Manufacturing has already been completely stopped on all 20x series cards for a while, perhaps with exception of the lower end cards that won't see a refresh for a few months.

But 2070 and up is now only old stock remaining.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

I would think should be able to get a good stick - either VKB or Virpil, Warthog Throttle, Rift S and Crosswind Pedals for around the price goal he mentioned.

Now if the rest of the stuff he mentioned also has to come out of that same money, then no.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The only thing coming out of the $1800 is a HOTAS, rudder pedals, and vr headset. Everything else on my list is already budgeted out of the rest of the money. Thank you all for the recommendations so far!

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X OC'd to 4.4 GHz on all 8 Cores, Asus ROG STRIX GAMING-E MOBO, 3XWD Blue 500GB SSD, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB PCIE SSD, Seagate 4TB 7200RPM HDD, GIGABYTE AORUS AMD RADEON RX VEGA 56 Graphics Card, EVGA G2 SUPERNOVA 1000W PSU, THERMALTAKE VIEW 71 TG CASE, Saitek X56 Rhino HOTAS

I’m a little surprised that no one has mentioned the Virpil CM2 throttle here. IMO, vastly superior in every way to my Warthog which I recently sold. Don’t get me wrong, the Warthog throttle is a solid piece of kit, it’s just that the Virpil is better in my experience.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

If you want to spend money there is no better place than RealSimulator. The FSSB R3 Lighting and the F16 Custom Grip will easily take all your budget. I have the FSSB R3 Lighting with the F18 Grip and perfect for Fly By Wire I use this with the Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle and am very happy. I just ordered the F16 Custom Grip and the Virpil TM50 with curved extension for WW2 Propeller (my preference) and just ordered the Kantorin Kone HOTAS http://www.kanttorinkone.com/console.html.

I use MFG Crosswind pedals and these are superb for both types

Really depends what you fly as to what is best for you, but my experience you will soon run out of cash - on my final red card from the better half

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

I know you don't want to wait but the new VKB throttle that's coming sure looks nice. The gunfighter stick and new throttle would be nice and my new choice after having 3 Warthogs.

If the new throttle has idle/off and AB detents I will be all over it.

In the meantime I will continue to make do with my Warthog throttle.

Still loving my Gunfighter Mk III Pro L.

Don B

The Virpil throttle has virtual idle/off and AB detents. At idle, a button press switches off and vice versa. Same with AB. no need really for physical detents.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The Virpil throttle has virtual idle/off and AB detents. At idle, a button press switches off and vice versa. Same with AB. no need really for physical detents.

Yeah however I prefer physical like I have now.

Don B

If the new throttle has idle/off and AB detents I will be all over it.

In the meantime I will continue to make do with my Warthog throttle.

Still loving my Gunfighter Mk III Pro L.

The Warthog throttle is fine. I don't even change the mini-stick. I put a dab of superglue on the nub to make it longer and it works fine for me. Then I use a Shapeways AB detent.

Buzz