AN/AAS-38 Nitehawk

Swift.

An idea for much later on in EA.

Considering we have a selection of older weapons, such as SLAM and Walleye, it might be a cool idea to have an older pod to go with it.

I can imagine a few people would appreciate the period specificity of Nitehawk, and a few more might enjoy the unique characteristics, such as the LST pod on the right cheek.

• Like 4

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

Yeah, good idea for possible expansion feature later down the road.

The LST/NFLIR pod would offer a NAV FLIR display in the HUD. Which would be nice. (Not sure if ED will model the ATFLIR version).

A two pod set up would be unique and would add flavour and interest down the road.

The Skipper rocket powered LGB would be nice too.

• Like 1

An idea for much later on in EA.

Considering we have a selection of older weapons, such as SLAM and Walleye, it might be a cool idea to have an older pod to go with it.

I can imagine a few people would appreciate the period specificity of Nitehawk, and a few more might enjoy the unique characteristics, such as the LST pod on the right cheek.

Depends on the version. AN/AAS-38A required a separate pod for LST yes, but in 1994 there was introduced AN/AAS-38B derivative which integrated LST into a single device.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Depends on the version. AN/AAS-38A required a separate pod for LST yes, but in 1994 there was introduced AN/AAS-38B derivative which integrated LST into a single device.

Have you got some more info on that? All I can find online is AAS-38(FLIR without laser) and AAS-38A(FLIR with LTD/R)

Have you got some more info on that? All I can find online is AAS-38(FLIR without laser) and AAS-38A(FLIR with LTD/R)

dont have much but it certainly existed and was employed being a successor thoe AAS-38A

http://www.cmano-db.com/pdf/weapon/1883/

https://books.google.ca/books?id=kZkeDAAAQBAJ&pg=PA60&lpg=PA60&dq=AN/AAS-38B+nitehawk&source=bl&ots=v7x7zEzbye&sig=ACfU3U2-HDOEEKOWHpnK0500mZXrq4NAnw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiF_qyjibfrAhUjhuAKHe3ODnY4KBDoATAJegQICRAB#v=onepage&q=AN%2FAAS-38B%20nitehawk&f=false

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I don't think Lot20 2000+ hornets are compatible with nitehawk pods

Says whom? Lot 20 was made in '99 which was when nitehawk was still used. I do t recall there being mention of an AFC that removed the compatability with nitehawk.

And besides, the same logic would extend to weapons such as walleye and slam surely? Both of which were retired before lot 20s were made.

• Like 1

This is a paper that talks about the decision for USMC acquisition of Litening 2 to supplant their ATFLIR's that was published in 2006

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a498288.pdf

In 2005 the USN/USMC still had nitehawk pods in operation. At that point in time he ATFLIR had not yet been procured in significant enough quantities to meet USN needs let alone USMC for the legacy fleet at that point in time, since the overwhelming majority of ATFLIR's in 2005 were prioritized to be supplied for SUper Hornets. in 2005. Only 75 Atflir pods had been delivered to the USN. only 51 of those were deployed overseas for combat use.

to quote

"Of the fifty-one pods deployed in February 2005, forty-nine of those pods were allocated for Super Hornets, and 2 for legacy Hornets. This is a significant mismatch given the fact that for every Super Hornet deployed aboard aircraft carriers, there are approximately 2.5 legacy Hornets. As an analogy, that is like changing the oil in the family’s new car while ignoring the older car that is driven 2.5 times as often. As long as Super Hornets are produced at equal or greater rates as ATFLIR, the majority of ATFLIRs will be paired with brand new Super Hornets. "

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

I believe you're correct there, IIRC:

The -38 (c.1983) was a FLIR camera only.

The -38A (c.1987) was a FLIR camera plus laser designator

The -38B (c.1993) was a FLIR camera plus laser designator plus laser spot tracker.

If we ever do get to see the NITE Hawk in DCS, it would most likely need to be accompanied by the ASQ-173 pod for LST capabilities for FLIR pods prior to the -38B.

• Like 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

I believe you're correct there, IIRC:

The -38 (c.1983) was a FLIR camera only.

The -38A (c.1987) was a FLIR camera plus laser designator

The -38B (c.1993) was a FLIR camera plus laser designator plus laser spot tracker.

If we ever do get to see the NITE Hawk in DCS, it would most likely need to be accompanied by the ASQ-173 pod for LST capabilities for FLIR pods prior to the -38B.

Yeah, if we are to entertain the possibility of this pod coming to DCS. I would rather have the -A, it seems to provide the most utility, whilst not just being a low resolution copy of ATFLIR.

Although having the OG -38 might be interesting and force cooperation between hornets and tomcats.

I can't wait for the "fantastic" image quality of these pods compared to the current offerings (Which are still probably too good).

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I can't wait for the "fantastic" image quality of these pods compared to the current offerings (Which are still probably too good).

Haha hopefully EDs work on the rendered and the completion of these pods will allow there to be an appreciable difference.

I mean HB Lantirn Pod FLIR imaging quality isn't "fantastic" by any means. vehicles come off like pixelated blobs unless your right atop of them. Seems comparable enough too the sort of real life footage you see recorded from lantirns.

Anecdotally from pilots mouth its been Nitehawk is said to have slightly worse quality between the two, and much worse quality when it came to reviewing recorded videotaped TGP footage.

• Like 1

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

I mean HB Lantirn Pod FLIR imaging quality isn't "fantastic" by any means. vehicles come off like pixelated blobs unless your right atop of them. Seems comparable enough too the sort of real life footage you see recorded from lantirns.

Anecdotally from pilots mouth its been Nitehawk is said to have slightly worse quality between the two, and much worse quality when it came to reviewing recorded videotaped TGP footage.

You missed the sarcasm Kev, and yes the nitehawk was supposedly worse than lantrin.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

You missed the sarcasm Kev, and yes the nitehawk was supposedly worse than lantrin.

no i didn;t miss the sarcasm. You were implying the ingame image would be better than RL counterpart on the basis of how currently the Litening 2 AT image is rendered in game especially with far level digital zooms not degrading the image. I was simply saying that ED would not simply just make Nitehawk have ultra sharp imaging on the same level as the Litening, because its pretty obvious that its quality would not be on that level. It wouldn't be that much effort to produce low quality pixelated image like HB did.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Any movement on this request? I know it was initially tagged as Not Planned. But I was hoping you could, idk, plan it.

Not only is Nitehawk way more appropriate for our alleged 2005 era USN hornet. It could also signify the inclusion of other things such as the LST and Navflir pod.

So in summary, I think the inclusion of:
- AAS-38A TFLIR
- AAR-50 NAVFLIR
- ASQ-173 LDT/Cam
Would be a significant improvement in the accuracy of our circa 2005 lot 20 hornet as operated by USN/USMC. And would add some really interesting and fun elements to the simulation.

• Like 3

+1 It is the most appropriate pod for the Hornet, plus things like the AN/AAR-50 TINS pod and AN/ASQ-173 LST/SCAM.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 1 year later...
  • Wags locked this topic