What do you use as a Collective?

What do you folks use as a collective on the helicopters?

I have a Thrustmaster Warthog which I love. I attempted to use the throttle as a collective but I haven't had much success making it work. I cant get the curve and the movement of the throttle to mimic a real collective.

Also, it doesn't seem like there are a lot of options for collectives out there?

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K  -  GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3090 OC Edition  - Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula Motherboard  -  RAM: 64 GB HyperX  -  EK Open Loop liquid-cooling  -  PSU: FSP Hydro+ PTM 1200 Watt liquid-cooled Power Supply   -   PIMAX 8KX Headset

ThrustMaster Warthog Throttle and Stick  -  Winwing Landing and Combat Panels  -  MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Options are limited for sure, particularly if you don't want to spend a bunch of money.

I'm almost finished making my own DIY collective, but if Virpil ever releases theirs, I will buy it in a heartbeat. There is also a guy on here that sells his own, but it's a huge waiting list.

https://komodosimulations.co.uk/collections/collective

Don't fly helos myself, but I've heard great things about link related. That said, the base and head combo is quite expensive, but perfect for recreating the Huey or any of the other helos they have heads for.

"Screw your 9-line, I'm pushing this hog into a 75 degree dive and putting this bomb through the chimney" - Someone in an A-10, Somewhere over Iran

System Specs: 7980xe Delid @ 4.5GHz, 32GB 3200mhz RAM, 2x 1080ti FTW3, DCS on a 1tb Samsung 970 EVO NVMe SSD

Pit Specs: Volair Sim Seat, VPC Mongoose Base, 100mm Extension, TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle Quadrant, MFG Crosswind Petals, option of either TrackIR with Main Screen and 2x MFD touchscreens or HTC Vive.

https://komodosimulations.co.uk/collections/collective

Don't fly helos myself, but I've heard great things about link related. That said, the base and head combo is quite expensive, but perfect for recreating the Huey or any of the other helos they have heads for.

those sure are sweet! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Early days yet , but these seem to be well-received , and relatively inexpensive .

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=260026

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

It's disappointing they are using poorly 3D printed hat switches on 600+ dollar collective handles. I would rather pay more and get hats on the level of CH Products quality. I think Virpil is going to eat Kamodo's lunch and at a lower price point for the collective base and collective grip.

Early days yet , but these seem to be well-received , and relatively inexpensive .

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=260026

This one is on my shoppinglist. Have only heard good things about it. And for that price...

Currently I'm using the cheap Thrustmaster throttle. Works very well actually. Better than my Cougar. No curves. Why would one do that for a collective? Curious!

Cheers!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I use my TMWH throttle inverted so that I have to pull the handle towards me to increase the collective. It works fine - i think the issues are more to do with the DCS modelling. There are threads in the Mi-8 forum related to the fact that the helicopter lifts at too low a value

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Check this out

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=280667&highlight=thick8+collective

Looks fantastic

I personally use a real Westland Lynx collective mated to a Leo Bodnar board

8711F8E5-4451-4B91-9354-55C328ADE514.thumb.jpeg.a1c93f32a71914b40994f902e6d5cbea.jpeg

Edited by mr_mojo97

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I'm also keeping my eye on Thick8's design. Looks very promising and hopefully it'll be affordable.

Until then I use my TM Warthog throttle.

Left throttle for engine rpm

Right throttle (inverted) as collective

Sure, it's probably not as ideal as a real collective, but hey I can land anywhere I want, so it works.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

One of these

An AliExpress USB Handbrake, drop the return spring out and add a 20mm diameter pipe as an extension.

IMG-2612.jpg

If you want to get really fancy you can build your own collective head,

IMG-3367.jpg

though a USB controller would suffice

Edited by shu77

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

I use my TMWH throttle inverted so that I have to pull the handle towards me to increase the collective. It works fine - i think the issues are more to do with the DCS modelling. There are threads in the Mi-8 forum related to the fact that the helicopter lifts at too low a value

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

I use the TM warthog inverted as well, and the forward throw is so far, that I do get the honest impression I'm lifting rather than pulling, especially if you grip it the right way. Had no issues.

I just built my own. :)

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I personally use the virpil throttle of mine, inverted.

It's not like I have any hopes of getting into an actual helicopter or anything so I don't worry about potential bad habbits and it is a very precise device that does the needed job.

I am tempted if I change my setup to single stick, I can take the second one, remove the spring and use as a very simple collective.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

So it sounds like inverting my throttles on my Thrustmaster warthog would work. I've actually tried that but it didn't seem to work for me. Maybe because I'm just a terrible helicopter pilot.

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K  -  GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3090 OC Edition  - Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula Motherboard  -  RAM: 64 GB HyperX  -  EK Open Loop liquid-cooling  -  PSU: FSP Hydro+ PTM 1200 Watt liquid-cooled Power Supply   -   PIMAX 8KX Headset

ThrustMaster Warthog Throttle and Stick  -  Winwing Landing and Combat Panels  -  MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

One of these

An AliExpress USB Handbrake, drop the return spring out and add a 20mm diameter pipe as an extension.

IMG-2612.jpg

IMG-3367.jpg

Using the handbrake is a really good idea. I just dont have the time for another project right now. But I'm tempted.

could try a Saitek throttle quadrant, normally used for GA aircraft sims. But bolt it to your seat. cheap and ready. Not purely realistic, but better than any other non-heli options I've seen.

+1

I just have bolted to my desk horizontally,so it would be better the way Rick has it I imagine.

Edited by Dinga

Using the handbrake is a really good idea. I just dont have the time for another project right now. But I'm tempted.

Honestly Ive said a few times I wish I had stopped at the handbrake with the pipe extension, dropping the spring out took 2 minutes and it was completely effective like that. When I mounted the collective head it added weight which meant I spent a lot more time getting the friction right and ultimately ended up adding a damper, which meant then adding a heavier duty mount to hold it static. If you just wan finer control for collective than a throttle lever without spending hundreds of Euros it is the way to go.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

So it sounds like inverting my throttles on my Thrustmaster warthog would work. I've actually tried that but it didn't seem to work for me. Maybe because I'm just a terrible helicopter pilot.

It is different and takes getting used to.

And flying helicopters in DCS is also massively different from any fixed wing, it does not translate over.

You can't expect to "git-gud" in the Huey in a couple of hours.

Biggest brain connect problem I had with this was when switching between rotor and the harrier.

The vertical landings in the harrier would make my brain think "helicopter" and I would slam the throttle to max when I touched down in the harrier...

It often did not go awesome..

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

One of these

IMG-2612.jpg

IMG-3367.jpg

Where did you get that black Collective Head from. It looks awesome. I built some button boxes and a custom wheel for racing about 12 yesrs ago. I was a ton of work but came out really good. Its now sitting in a box collecting dust because my rig is now used for flying. Also, what pipe did you use? It looks really good.