Better Smoke V22 for DCS 2.9

Hi Taz - since you're the smoke master I was wondering if you knew a way to increase the distance of the smoke trail that appears behind a burning plane in-air?With the new damage model for WW2 planes you get some pretty spectacular smoke trails behind burning planes that continue to fly for quite a while, however the smoke trail itself dissipates pretty quickly which makes it end up looking like the plane is flying around with a brown tail. 

Would you know which file to edit that would increase the lifespan of the smoke effect for burning in-air plane?

Longer Damage Smoke? - DCS Mods - ED Forums (eagle.ru)

1-trail.jpg

Edited by dresoccer4

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

1 hour ago, dresoccer4 said:

Hi Taz - since you're the smoke master I was wondering if you knew a way to increase the distance of the smoke trail that appears behind a burning plane in-air?With the new damage model for WW2 planes you get some pretty spectacular smoke trails behind burning planes that continue to fly for quite a while, however the smoke trail itself dissipates pretty quickly which makes it end up looking like the plane is flying around with a brown tail. 

Would you know which file to edit that would increase the lifespan of the smoke effect for burning in-air plane?

Longer Damage Smoke? - DCS Mods - ED Forums (eagle.ru)

1-trail.jpg

I might be able to but I do not have any WWII planes.  Perhaps if there's way to create that with included Mustang and upload a track.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 1:58 PM, The_Tau said:

Mod is awesome, it just looks amazing, but I have I question.

@Taz1004

Whats with the ring of dust smoke around unit when it dies? Its not there in vanilla and i think it looks a bit silly when in tank on tank engagement. In vanilla tank simply takes on fire and start burning while, with mod it takes fire and "explodes" with dust smoke around it. I think dust smoke should appear when unit actually explodes and turns into wreak. 

IDK what ring you're talking about.  Perhaps if you can show what it was, what it is, and what it should be.

A ring of animated smoke wave, when you destroy a unit by small burst or single bullet gun shot (Su25T). Just before unit start to burn, there is that short, smoke wave animation like on begging of the explosion.

You know immediately that attack was successful in a dive. Would be better without this animation, so you have to take on altitude and watch for black smoke or repeat an attack. That's why for me this brake immersion a bit.

2 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

IDK what ring you're talking about.  Perhaps if you can show what it was, what it is, and what it should be.

Maybe @Glow means the DCS "Simulated" Shockwave from the explosion?

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

On 3/3/2021 at 10:50 PM, Taz1004 said:

I might be able to but I do not have any WWII planes.  Perhaps if there's way to create that with included Mustang and upload a track.

hi Taz , i have all modules, what do u need ? and would it be possible to extend the wing vortices?

Edited by xShin37x

I hope everyone here understands how piercing ammunition works.
Yes, you can put things on fire without making them explode right away, even in DCS - but hey, to be clear: I don't mind Gaz exploding like been nuke. I love this!

I'm pointing at that first smoke ring here, the one coming out when a bullet put thing on fire.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Glow said:

Yes, you can put things on fire without making them explode right away, even in DCS - but hey, to be clear: I don't mind Gaz exploding like been nuke. I love this!

I'm pointing at that first smoke ring here, the one coming out when a bullet put thing on fire.

@Taz1004exactly that. Anyway to disable it?

Edited by The_Tau

2 hours ago, Glow said:

Just delete the Blast section from FireVehicle.lua

• Thanks 1

Taz, just downloaded and can't wait to use it!  Thanks for all your hard work and passion for this sim.  😃

Update:. It ROCKS!  If you don't have this, download right now.  I play in VR and it ups immersion greatly.  Love it!

Edited by Mistermann
  • Like 2

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

• 1 month later...

Came here to ask the same question. ED mentioned some tweaks to "fire" so not sure what if any impact that has on the mod or if ED also tweaked smoke, to effectively do what Taz did.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

5 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

it really might not be required!

I think you could well be right, I need to blow some stuff up and see how it looks 😃

• Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

No ED in all of their wisdom and power encrypted the scripts folder.  Its such bull, as many of their updates and additions to the patch notes I see were from user created mods.  Smoke, fire, Spawning not in parking spots,  Neutral Label dots etc etc.

They have essentially shit on the mod community and locked down any chance to modify core files and make things better for the foreseeable future of DCS.  Slow Clap ED

In 2.7 I have this ERROR with v9 Smoke mod

hKaXdvD.jpg

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

8 hours ago, Shrike88 said:

No ED in all of their wisdom and power encrypted the scripts folder.  Its such bull, as many of their updates and additions to the patch notes I see were from user created mods.  Smoke, fire, Spawning not in parking spots,  Neutral Label dots etc etc.

They have essentially shit on the mod community and locked down any chance to modify core files and make things better for the foreseeable future of DCS.  Slow Clap ED

Oh, really. Is that confirmed, becuase if so we are somewhat hosed with mods that rely on the scripts folder? That is not good 🙄

Thanks Taz for taking your precious time updating your mod.

I can't live without your vehicle smoke column.

• Like 1

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4