Better Smoke V22 for DCS 2.9

7 hours ago, VFA41_Lion said:

is there a way to edit smoke lifetimes? I find for some things like airplanes and buildings the smoke fades away wayyyy too quickly for my taste 😛

+1

forum.png

8 hours ago, VFA41_Lion said:

is there a way to edit smoke lifetimes? I find for some things like airplanes and buildings the smoke fades away wayyyy too quickly for my taste 😛

The values in world.lua looked like they would to the trick, but I set the value for BMP-1 to 30 seconds to test it, placed a BMP-1 in mission editor, blew it up, but it still burned 500s. Checked twice that I edited the correct file and put the correct unit on the map. I must be missing something.

• Taz1004 changed the title to Better Smoke V11 for DCS 2.7

UPDATED to V11

Still not to my liking but this is the best I can do.  Change one thing and breaks something else because it's all one sprite animation.  Turning down opacity of the smoke also turns down flame opacity. 🙄  It's really pain the way it's set up.

SP version has more tweaks to the vehicle smoke such as sizes, shading, and opacity.

MP version does have slower flame and slightly reduced size.

Video below is with SP version.

Few things requested but cannot be done.

• Duration of this specific smoke type can't be changed.
  • I'm aware the entire smoke stack cuts off if the source of the smoke is out of the view.  This is because occlusion is not properly setup and there's not much I can do about it.  I did make the smoke stacks a bit more vertical so it would happen less.  Perhaps this is why they kept it small.  If it bothers you, just don't use the big smoke.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 11

V11 looks glorious!  lol  Thanks Sir!

DCS 2021-04-25 22-37-08 (2).png

Edited by YSIAD_RIP
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

@Taz1004 - thank you SO much for all your efforts on this (and all your other) mod!  You make DCS better for so many people.  A sincere thank you, Sir!  

• Like 3

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

11 minutes ago, dali said:

on a first page of this thread (link to all versions)

Taz! thank you!

Those are link to what's changed in those versions.  Not download links.  I don't know why anyone would want V6 but if you really want, they're still on the server.  Just copy the link of V11 as text, copy it on your browser's address bar, and change v11 to v6.

Edited by Taz1004

20 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

UPDATED to V11

Still not to my liking but this is the best I can do.  Change one thing and breaks something else because it's all one sprite animation.  Turning down opacity of the smoke also turns down flame opacity. 🙄  It's really pain the way it's set up.

SP version has more tweaks to the vehicle smoke such as sizes, shading, and opacity.

MP version does have slower flame and slightly reduced size.

Video below is with SP version.

This snaky-swirly behavior that happens in upper part of smoke looks very weird and unnatural. V10 was better in this case.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheTaker said:

This snaky-swirly behavior that happens in upper part of smoke looks very weird and unnatural. V10 was better in this case.

Well, I disagree.  That is only random behavior available in this smoke system and without it, every smoke looks like a copy.  Especially noticeable when you blow up a bunch in close proximity.  You can still download the v10 the way I mentioned above.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, TheTaker said:

Yes, I agree. Its looks unnatural for me. But thank you Taz, your mod is amazing.

Massive smoke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5VlIljFY1Q

500lb bomb hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHPa0upQdRQ

Edited by unmar

• ED Team

Thank you Taz, some of us at ED have been admiring this mod since the early versions, and pushing for these, or similar changes to the core, work like this always makes me super proud of our community, helping or inspiring us to be better. Thanks! 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

2 hours ago, NineLine said:

Thank you Taz, some of us at ED have been admiring this mod since the early versions, and pushing for these, or similar changes to the core, work like this always makes me super proud of our community, helping or inspiring us to be better. Thanks! 

Thank you NL, that means a lot.

24 minutes ago, rookie28 said:

Love your smoke mod Taz, for sure looks better. Is V10/11 meant only for 2.7 DCS?

Yes.  2.5 should use V9.

Also, I did stealth update on V11 SP.  I did reduce the swirling effect a bit as I saw it was getting too much with high turbulence.  This effect seems to be related to turbulence setting.  Same name so just download and overwrite.  No change to MP version.

• Like 6

Hey @Taz1004 the coloured smoke is now TINY compared to default, was that a deliberate change ?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg