Better Smoke V22 for DCS 2.9

15 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

Hmm, just installed the mod and blew up a truck but the fire looks insanely massive, not like the screenshots on the front page. that fire looks like a nuclear meltdown and the smoke from an entire forest on fire 😄 

is this right?

Screen_211221_182253.png

1-smoke.jpg

Not what I'm getting.  It's either that truck or something wrong with your installation would be my guess.  And that doesn't look like new fire system either.

Post mission or track file.

23 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Not what I'm getting.  It's either that truck or something wrong with your installation would be my guess.  And that doesn't look like new fire system either.

Post mission or track file.

strange. i loaded up the caucuses map with just a few vehicles and this is what it looks like now. does this look correct? These are both small armor vehicles. is the smoke suppose to be different widths?

image.png

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

2 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

no track, but attached mission

Fire Test.zip 7.5 kB · 3 downloads

Thanks.  I thought you meant those two were same vehicles.  And bigger one looked strange because you took the shot early while the smoke is still rising.  But that's how it supposed to look.  Size is different based on the unit type and that's done by ED.  And they're all connected so if I make the big one smaller, then small one gets even smaller.  And vice versa.

It also looks strange because you have no wind.

Screen_211222_233902.jpg

Screen_211222_234121.jpg

Edited by Taz1004

11 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Thanks.  I thought you meant those two were same vehicles.  And bigger one looked strange because you took the shot early while the smoke is still rising.  But that's how it supposed to look.  Size is different based on the unit type and that's done by ED.  And they're all connected so if I make the big one smaller, then small one gets even smaller.  And vice versa.

It also looks strange because you have no wind.

"And they're all connected so if I make the big one smaller, then small one gets even smaller.  And vice versa." - that's really interesting. i didn't realize different armor vehicles had preprogrammed different sized fire and smokes. i guess that's just to mix things up so there's a variety of smokes going on at the same time?

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

4 hours ago, Saguanay said:

Do you have a note of whats the difference between SP and MP?   SP more features I know but what am I going to miss?   Used SP before the last patch.  Usual server I play on wasn't worried about a pure client.

IC Safe version:
--Smaller smoke marker
--Larger vehicle smoke
--Larger aircraft crash smoke
--Larger building smoke
--Larger placeable static smoke
--Longer gun smoke
--Toned down tank dust
--Toned down vehicle dust
--Toned down helo dust
--Toned down ground unit countermeasure dust
--Toned down landing gear smoke
--Toned down water explosion

IC Fail version:  In addition to above.
--Refined Vehicle smoke
--Refined water explosion
--Toned down carrier catapult steam
--Toned down Stennis IFLOLS glow
--Brighter cluster bomb explosion
--Replaced crater texture
--Longer ship trails
--Larger ground fire glow

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 4 weeks later...

is there anyway to fix the disappearing distance smoke columns depending where we look? In trackir and VR if you look them to the front they are not there, but if you look them on the side there is a distance where they appear. I am sick of that problem. 

Not saying it is this mod issue. I think is DCS one.

Edited by Japo32

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2020 at 10:24 PM, Taz1004 said:

UPDATED TO V16 for DCS 2.7  12/7/2021

Helo dust glowing at night fixed.

BetterSmoke_v16_01.jpg

Affects day time slightly.

BetterSmoke_v16_02.jpg

Also affects smoke sreen deployed by ground units.

BetterSmoke_v16_03.jpg

IFLOLS reduced for Stennis.  IC Fail version ONLY.  Doesn't apply to IC Safe version.

BetterSmoke_v16_04.jpg

Larger ground glow from fires.  Duration of the glow also lengthened from 100 seconds to 180 seconds.  IC Fail version ONLY.  Doesn't apply to IC Safe version.

BetterSmoke_v16_05.jpg

INSTALL:  Extract to main DCS install path. OvGME or other Mod Managers recommended.

If you have any other mod that modifies particles, you must install this mod last and overwrite.

DOWNLOAD For DCS 2.7:

IC Fail version (More features):  Better Smoke V16 SP

IC Safe version (Less features):  Better Smoke V16 MP

List of differences between IC Fail and IC Safe version

ChangeList.txt 634 B · 86 downloads

DOWNLOAD For DCS 2.5.6

Single player: Better Smoke V9 SP

Multi player: Better Smoke V9 MP

Version History

very cool, thx !

• 1 month later...

Seems like anything that touches Particles, like smoke and rain, causes compiler errors in the latest OB.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

• Taz1004 changed the title to Better Smoke V17 for DCS 2.7
19 hours ago, Japo32 said:

Same.. error and crash.

The same 😞 

vBTX5pJ.jpg

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

5 hours ago, YoYo said:

The same 😞 

vBTX5pJ.jpg

Well, Japo32 was having issue before I updated to v17.

Your issue, ParticleSys_40.fx isn't part of this mod.  And psTranslucentAnimFlir is new function ED added and it's not being recognized.  It maybe another mod issue or try running repair and only use the v17 of this mod.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, YoYo said:

The same 😞 

vBTX5pJ.jpg

V17 fixed it for me. Thanks for all of your hard work.

Ray

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

17 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Well, Japo32 was having issue before I updated to v17.

Your issue, ParticleSys_40.fx isn't part of this mod.  And psTranslucentAnimFlir is new function ED added and it's not being recognized.  It maybe another mod issue or try running repair and only use the v17 of this mod.

Now its ok, Im sure it was V16, however, maybe it affects something too, see that "fire" shaders etc. had error. I cleared the cache, installed V17 and it works again. Thx!

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I always thought that DCS default black smoke from ripped wings of a splashed fighter aircraft appeared too thick, too long and too black. It was probably done this way in order to increase player's situational awareness and enhance visibility with BVR kills but if you compare it to a real life situations you'll see that DCS goes Hollywood here. 

So can anyone post a few screenshots of how this mod deals with that and can we somehow reduce the thickness, lenght or change color from pitch black to a more grayish one in these situations.

Thank You.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]