32GB memory fully used - Please help

littlewing

Hi,

I'm having serious issues with 32GB of RAM.

I've got 32GB, when I'm off the game there is barely use of RAM , everything works fine.

When I'm playing the latest beta version with Syria (but not only) the game seems to use around 15GB but for some reason windows shows full usage of memory and it must be because of the game since everything is fine when I exit the game, it affects performance and even the ability of windows to function.

I attached some pictures

Has anyone experienced this?

I have RX580 8GB, I7-9700, 32GB, Oculus Rift S

DCS version 2.5.6.54046

Thanks

dcsb4use.thumb.PNG.f509393980ef1b69d0c1930813370fe4.PNG

dcsfail.thumb.PNG.a4f8f33d0b0f106f0846f36b88fe5cf9.PNG

dcsfail2.thumb.png.ba7e1da9fe122d5f73cd67034b399df5.png

Isnt it a good thing? I have 24 Gb RAM and in busy server it could climb to 24 Gb of RAM usage and I didnt see any performance drop.

Anyway if the high RAM usage really concerned you try to lower the texture and preload setting.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Hi Oceandar,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm playing SP and it causes the game and other apps to crash so I don't think it's a normal behavior. The weird thing is that the game shows actual usage of 15 GB of ram, but windows shows 32 GB of ram usage (as shown in the picture).

Hi littlewing. I agree with Oceandar: W10 can use all your RAM without crashing. It doesn't work like it used to with previous Microsoft O.S. It's safe... unless you have no pagefile, but we'll see about that in your log files.

From what we can see in your screenshots, DCS takes the third of your RAM (11GB for DCS on out of 32G). It means that all other executed software, W10 included, take about 20GB of RAM.

Your log files should help us determine what's making your DCS crash. Please attach the following files:

• dcs.log
  • dcs.log-2020###.zip (the latest file ou can find)

Both files can be found in C:\Users\your_name\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Logs.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Hi littlewing. I agree with Oceandar: W10 can use all your RAM without crashing. It doesn't work like it used to with previous Microsoft O.S. It's safe... unless you have no pagefile, but we'll see about that in your log files.

From what we can see in your screenshots, DCS takes the third of your RAM (11GB for DCS on out of 32G). It means that all other executed software, W10 included, take about 20GB of RAM.

Your log files should help us determine what's making your DCS crash. Please attach the following files:

• dcs.log
  • dcs.log-2020###.zip (the latest file ou can find)

Both files can be found in C:\Users\your_name\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Logs.

It greatly depends on which version of Windows 10 you have, Pro is <> OK, home is horrible when it comes to memory management.

I know that for a fact since I swapped my Home edition for the Pro for this very reason.

The difference is enormous, no more connection bottleneck (80%), the O.S is a lot more responsive and faster.

Plus you have the opTion of accessing the registry editor (when you know what you're doing ) to fine tune it, which is a hell of a hack to achieve with Home edition.

Day and night.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies,

If you sum up all the RAM usages from other apps you won't get 20GB, when I exit the game there is almost no usage of RAM, it seems that when I play the game, although dcs seems to take only about 12GB windows for some reason shows 100% of RAM usage, exit the game and everything is fine.

The pictures show that.

Ok, I attached the logs.

Please keep in mind that the game crashed because of high memory utilization (and other programs crashed as well) - It is just the consequence for the high memory utiliztion.

My goal is to understand why the game is using around 12-16GB while windows shows full memory usage when there are no other programs that are using 16GB

Thank you.

dcs.log

dcs.log-20200828-063735.zip

That's what I thought. Your system has no pagefile. Nada. Zip.

Let Windows handle its virtual memory, and you should be fine.

In the Virtual memory settings, tick the "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives".

Literally not the best thing you could do. Go ahead and set a fixed size instead like 8192 - 8192 at least. To get the correct value, just multiply the GB you want by 1024.

I also added one as I'm also one of those "no swap" guys (well, just 2GB for the beginning as I'm a little tight on free space) to see it it already prevents Windows from closing things even when there's still like 8-9GB free as that happened recently while just flying over the Syria map without any assets on it. If you can afford to have more, go for 16384 instead, or even 32768. More than that shouldn't be of any use really. But having Windows manage it means it will constantly be resized which just isn't great since it always costs valuable performance when it does that.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

My Windows is on auto and it uses a 32GB pagefile next to my 32GB of RAM. I know this fluctuates,but I'd like to know first if the auto mode is enough for him to get rid of his memory issues.

That's what I thought. Your system has no pagefile. Nada. Zip.

In the Virtual memory settings, tick the "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives".

Yep, love it or hate it, Windows was designed this way. You can get around it, but it's literally guaranteed to cause issues from time to time.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

The reason for the disparity is that applications can request a given amount of memory prior to actually populating it. So DCS is preallocating all of the remainder of to have more immediate access to space it may need. Task manager is only showing how much DCS is actually using at any given time.

Oh really? Do you know which number MSI Afterburners performance monitor reports?

The reason I ask is lately I have been seeing MSI Afterburner report all 11Gb of VRAM and all 32GB of system RAM in use while playing DCS (especially in Syria and PG, Caucuses uses less system RAM). Playing with system settings had had little to no effect. I’m curious if that RAM is actually in use or just pre-allocated as you say...

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

The reason for the disparity is that applications can request a given amount of memory prior to actually populating it. So DCS is preallocating all of the remainder of to have more immediate access to space it may need. Task manager is only showing how much DCS is actually using at any given time.

You can see how much is allocated by enabling the "Commit Size" column on the Details tab in Task Manager.

lucky you at 15G, when using DCS with Syria in editor I am using 32G of my 32G RAM

Turned ground textures down to low and it dropped to 16G approx

same here, i have 16 gb and dcs is using everything but dcs.exe is allocating only 8.3.

Also, is using more than 8gb of vram in 1080p, max usage is around 10 on my system.

Also, very strange, after a few minutes flying around it always unload 2-3gb of system ram and i can see all the ground texture reloading after using the F10 map the first time.

slXJHmQ.png

tD7Ya1m.png