Lost right engine at 42k

lbellouny

Last night I was participating in a multiplayer session with my group, I was up at 42000 feet, heading towards a group of bandits, when suddenly my right engine shutdown. There was at least 12k lbs of fuel, and trying to restart the engine would get it to light, I would increase throttle to match the left engine, and then it would shut down again. It was very similar to the engine not starting after being shot down bug, but I had not been shot down. I have the track, but it’s very large as this happened toward the end of a 2 hour mission.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Retired CO of the vCSG-3's VF-103 Jolly Rogers

Do you have random failures option on?

Did you touch any of the engine/fuel/ramp switches before the shutdown?

Was prolonged negative G involved?

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Random Failures was off.

Didn't touch any of those until I was trying to relight.

No negative G, had the throttles up to try and keep around .8 IMN flying straight and level, and the right engine just suddenly died.

Following the air start procedure, it would light off, then once the throttle was advanced, it would shut back down. Did this if the Feed switch was in the Forward, Aft, or Norm positions. I've attached the kneeboard page I was following to try and air start. Attempted both procedures on the page.

A12-Engines.thumb.png.37f58496df798a3f92e47eca3f255f62.png

Edited by lbellouny
Adding additional information, grammar

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Retired CO of the vCSG-3's VF-103 Jolly Rogers

There's not really enough information here to know exactly what's going on, but you need to maintain about 450 KIAS to affect a windmill start. Sounds like it could have been a fuel supply issue, that is really the only reason an F110 would just flame out.

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations

Same exact thing happened to me... right engine shut down after having been at 40k ft for no apparent reason. Landed, and even with ground air, i could not get it started.

Could have been a compressor stall that damaged it? (I had descended VERY quickly in defense of incoming missiles)

Edited by Banzaiib

Same exact thing happened to me... right engine shut down after having been at 40k ft for no apparent reason. Landed, and even with ground air, i could not get it started.

Could have been a compressor stall that damaged it? (I had descended VERY quickly in defense of incoming missiles)

That’s pretty freaking cool.

Welcome to the fighter business...

Viewpoints are my own.

Following the air start procedure, it would light off, then once the throttle was advanced, it would shut back down. Did this if the Feed switch was in the Forward, Aft, or Norm positions. I've attached the kneeboard page I was following to try and air start. Attempted both procedures on the page.

What other kneeboard pages do you have in there? Thinking of adding some/all of those in my own kneeboards.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2