Bombardment or pintpoint strike?

Talon Karde

Hi,

I have a problem with a mission. I use Bombardment as main task, but planes are loaded with GBU and AGM-65F. When arriving at IP, I set as task "bombardment" and place the triangles on different buildings. When giving order to attack primaries (I lead the flight), AI planes lauch missiles but no bomb at all. Planes with only GBU do nothing, those with both bombs and missiles just lauch AGM-65F.

Sould I use pintpoint strike instead?

Same with SEAD (full AI). 2 planes loaded with both AGM-88 and AGM-65. They have the classic SEAD task + engage the enemy group at IP. One plane lauch all its missiles (both 88 and 65). The other does nothing... :doh:

Another group of F-15E : one is droping bombs, not the other...:cry:

Can you give me some tips?

Talon Karde

Du Talon de qualité, élevé au grain et en plein air, entièrement livré en kit.

Mauvais pilote:joystick: sur DCS: F-14B, DCS: F/A-18C et DCS: Mirage 2000C :wub:

-= In Ctrl + E + E + E we trust =-

Blog Takarde Gaming

Envie de tester Shadow de Blade? Tiens, un code de parrainage : ARNJB3VB

You can select what type of weapon they are supposed to use for each bombing action.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I will try to force the bombardment with this option to see if it works, thx !

But I don't see how can I tell the 2nd plane of a flight to attack instead of making nice circles in the sky :D

Talon Karde

Mauvais pilote:joystick: sur DCS: F-14B, DCS: F/A-18C et DCS: Mirage 2000C :wub:

Blog Takarde Gaming

Experiment with the primary group tasking. That parameter has a major effect on AI attack behavior.

Thx I will look to find this option (with a little surprise : how did ED translate it in French :megalol: as there is some... strange things sometimes, changing each patch)

:thumbup:

Talon Karde

Blog Takarde Gaming

This seriously needs to be changed if this game has any intention of having a Dynamic Campaign. I've literally spent the last 2+ hours trying to get an AI F-16 to drop bombs on a runway. I've tried:

Runway Strike

Pinpoint

Ground Attack

With all kinds of secondary options, including WW2 carpet bombing. The ONLY thing thats worked so far, is pinpoint strike with a GBU31 and very specifically from an altitude of 10,000. I was trying it at 2-3,000 and apparently thats too low, so he just aborts.

I literally just want to drop 2 Mk84s on the runway, WHY IS THIS SO HARD!?!

99% of the time, he reaches IP and then immediately turns to next waypoint.

ED please put in a simple mode... fly here, drop bombs here. Make it foolproof please.

Goes for both instances, uploading the mission will at least give us an idea of how things are setup in terms of tasks, threats, weapons, etc to better help.

Same with SEAD (full AI). 2 planes loaded with both AGM-88 and AGM-65. They have the classic SEAD task + engage the enemy group at IP. One plane lauch all its missiles (both 88 and 65). The other does nothing... :doh:

Another group of F-15E : one is droping bombs, not the other...:cry:

Can you give me some tips?

There is a caveat that I haven't spent a ton of time making missions with AI wingmen in mind, so my comments are more reflected to AI only flights. I do know that Baltic Dragon prefers his campaigns to have a separate AI flight with F10 radio menu items to issue commands rather than having it actually be a wingman for best results.

Quite possibly it has to do with positioning, the targets, and AI's default engagement behavior. Its something I like to think of it as "target math" that is done by the AI. The way it works is AI will only launch enough weapons to kill the target. If it takes one weapon to destroy it, they launch one weapon. They won't "waste" any extra missiles automatically if the target has the capability to shoot the missile down, they will just fire another missile once the first is destroyed. So if you had an SA-3 site as the target with 1 SR, 1 TR, and however many launchers, it is possible the lead will fire 1 HARM at each radar, and then engage with the mav on the other targets. The wingman should engage though if it is in range.

Same goes for the AI dropping bombs, it depends on the task given. You can use the Group Attack checkbox so that each AI in the group will also engage the target. You can also use a combination of release quantity and attack quantity to get the other AI involved. The task type does matter though. Think of each bombing task as, ATTACK A, then Attack B, then Attack C, etc. Where-as CAS, SEAD, etc are "Attack any detected valid targets" which results in say a flight of A-10s attack a group of 12 tanks with each A-10 going after the first available target and switching to the next automatically as the target gets destroyed.

With all kinds of secondary options, including WW2 carpet bombing. The ONLY thing thats worked so far, is pinpoint strike with a GBU31 and very specifically from an altitude of 10,000. I was trying it at 2-3,000 and apparently thats too low, so he just aborts.

I literally just want to drop 2 Mk84s on the runway, WHY IS THIS SO HARD!?!

99% of the time, he reaches IP and then immediately turns to next waypoint.

I spent 1 minute to get an AI F-16 to drop Mk-84s at low altitude. Best guess there are threats in the target area and the AI is aborting due to the threat.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

You can select what type of weapon they are supposed to use for each bombing action.

Well, it's not working, even with that they don't want to drop GBUs :(

Experiment with the primary group tasking. That parameter has a major effect on AI attack behavior.

Can you screen this option? I don't find it in French interface.

Edited by Talon Karde

Talon Karde

Blog Takarde Gaming

I spent 1 minute to get an AI F-16 to drop Mk-84s at low altitude. Best guess there are threats in the target area and the AI is aborting due to the threat.

Yea you're right, after hours of frustration I fired up a clean map and got it to work, leading me to the threat thing. There was an SA6 that was looking at them from max range, they were just causually turning off towards the next waypoint, from about where the IP would be, leading me to believe they were just ignorning the command.

Got them to do what I wanted and not even get shot at by setting it to no defense.

It would be pretty nice, as the game maseter to be able to get some kind of indication on what the AI is currently up to: navigating, attacking, defending, etc. especially when you have to run the mission for several tens of minutes most times to see if the "thing" works.

Public?preview=Group+Task.jpg

Oh, OK, thx. I thought it was a diffrent option when choosing group actions on the IP. :thumbup:

Talon Karde

Blog Takarde Gaming

Hello.

I changed bombardment for pintpoint strike and now all is working. At last for my flight as SEAD still broken (1 aircraft fire, no the other) and 1 of my 2 F-15E only bombs target. But at last, from the player point of view, illusion is OK :)

Talon Karde

Blog Takarde Gaming