Need your advise : To Pre-order or Not HP REVERB G2

Goa

Hi all

i have spared some cash and I'd like to pre-order the reverb G2 but can't decide myself to ho ahead .

I've tested a a Rift S some months a go a friend of mine borrowed me for a week and I was blown away by the immersion of it, not so much enthusiast about the poor overall clarity and perforamnce compared to a 2D monitor.

I am playing dcs on a ultrawide 34' 3440x1440p resolution and I am pretty satisfied with it .

Hardware is 2080TI and a 8700k@5.0 ghz, 32gb ram, dedicated dcs nvme 1tb storage etc etc.

Can't decide if keeping the money for a 3080/3090 nvidia next gent GPU or pre-order the G2 .

My concern is about the actual hardware capability to drive the G2 at full potential given the current DCS low VR performance.

:doh:

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

No way around it, current VR technology it will always look worse than on a monitor.

Really can not compare them. However it is getting better as the devices progress.

Me personally I think my Rift S looks pretty good, and I would not game without it. The immersion captivates me more than anything, but I do not think it looks bad at all, just not as crisp as my monitor - which is 1080p.

For me, even the Rift CV1 captivated me in the same manner, and Rift S looks much better.

If you are all about mind blowing graphics all the way, probably not going to be satisfied with VR.

I spend probably on average around 10-15 hours a week gaming in VR only, and love every minute of it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Well 3080 is unlikely to offer more than you already have with the 2080ti. I would also say that you would only see any benefit from the 3090 if you were running pancake 4k.

Currently VR is definitely a sacrifice of graphical fidelity and frame rates vs immersion.

If the first two a more important to you then as Dburne says you may not be wholly satisfied.

Maybe pick up a cheap CV1 and just crank up the pixel density to see if you get into it?

I pre ordered my G2 so I'm in conflict of interest to give you advice about it.

BTW your rig is already ready for G2 and on your monitor will not benefit much from new 3080 or 3090. VR is proper step forward and G2 is closest to the monitor than any other VR HMD on the market. Clarity is twice as better than RiftS and almost no SDE.

I pre ordered my G2 so I'm in conflict of interest to give you advice about it.

BTW your rig is already ready for G2 and on your monitor will not benefit much from new 3080 or 3090. VR is proper step forward and G2 is closest to the monitor than any other VR HMD on the market. Clarity is twice as better than RiftS and almost no SDE.

G2 is the same res as G1.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

G2 has a vastly wider sweet spot and that theoretically renders it vastly superior to the G1.

All that ReZ to behold wherever your eye balls fall.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I have the G1v2 reverb. I have ordered the G2, for three reasons,

1) better visuals, whilst the resolution is the same, there seems to be way better colour depth, clarity sweet spot and manual fov.

2) better comfort, and thinner single core cable

3) better audio.

All of which seems to offer a significant upgrade in capability or usability., your hardware is very capable of running it.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

+1

It’s the sweet spot improvement that I am particularly looking forward to. Hopefully means less neck muscle strain!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

G2 is the same res as G1.

G2 has a vastly wider sweet spot and that theoretically renders it vastly superior to the G1.

All that ReZ to behold wherever your eye balls fall.

I have the G1v2 reverb. I have ordered the G2, for three reasons,

1) better visuals, whilst the resolution is the same, there seems to be way better colour depth, clarity sweet spot and manual fov.

2) better comfort, and thinner single core cable

3) better audio.

All of which seems to offer a significant upgrade in capability or usability., your hardware is very capable of running it.

+1

It’s the sweet spot improvement that I am particularly looking forward to. Hopefully means less neck muscle strain!

I will just add on all of this manual IPD adjustment too as additionally effecting on increase of sweet spoot and more comfortable visuals.

Here is one old video of G1 to get picture how far from monitor it is but it is not comparable with monitor from basic reason in VR you are inside in real 3D environment and if this is not impressing you than you should stay with monitor in general. Maybe think about to upgrade to some 55" 4K TV capable to work like monitor like for example Samsung QLED QR60 lowest imput lag and Freesync support.

But that is the question on what you should ask your self what is your personal preferences. VR is highly personalized stuff.

+1

About neck I tried using tracking true opentrack and its working. No motion sicknes even I'm avarage sensitive to it.

My point is with opentrack I setup Yaw turning similar as trackIR. 45° to 50° I setup movement 1:1 ratio but from 50° to 110° head move in game is from 50° to 180°. At first you have get use to it in similar way you first time using trackIR but it is short adaptation and your neck will thank you for it.

If you try this have in mind if it is not smooth for you you have to play with filter setup to reach smoothness you want. Need to be tweaked but it is doable.

About neck I tried using tracking true opentrack and its working. No motion sicknes even I'm avarage sensitive to it.

My point is with opentrack I setup Yaw turning similar as trackIR. 45° to 50° I setup movement 1:1 ratio but from 50° to 110° head move in game is from 50° to 180°. At first you have get use to it in similar way you first time using trackIR but it is short adaptation and your neck will thank you for it.

If you try this have in mind if it is not smooth for you you have to play with filter setup to reach smoothness you want. Need to be tweaked but it is doable.

Sorry, we are talking about VR here, and my comment was a joke. What I meant was that with a larger sweet spot, we won't have to do so much moving of the head to get focus!

Sorry, we are talking about VR here, and my comment was a joke. What I meant was that with a larger sweet spot, we won't have to do so much moving of the head to get focus!

Yes I am talking about VR as well. Combining VR with Opentrack. It is helpfull tool for VR as well.

Ok, sorry!

Yes I am talking about VR as well. Combining VR with Opentrack. It is helpfull tool for VR as well.

Out of curiosity why would one need or want Opentrack with a VR headset?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Ma che immagine di profilo hai?!

what this has to do with this thread?

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Out of curiosity why would one need or want Opentrack with a VR headset?

Just to get more realistic body movement to the real world.

In RL to watch your 6 you will turn your body approximate 110° but in VR game you have to turn your body for full 180° because lover FOV and smaller sweet spot.

Using Opentrack my body movement is more like in RL and I have better control over airplane controls.

Right now I'm out of action. Upgrading my rig for G2 and wait for it as well.

Once when will be delivered I will test it with G2 and made video with instructions how to do that and explain it all even why.

Point is it is individual issue and everybody could have different setup according to personal preferences.

Somewhere in November or December depend when G2 or GPU knock on my door.

I have a Reverb with a 2080 Ti, and imho it's simply not fast enough. I despise asynchronous reprojection, but hopefully the 3090 will be able to deliver fast enough fps to remove the need for it.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

With the 2080ti I would simply wait and see.

Yes the new cards are better, but we don't really know how much better that would be for non RTX/DLSS gaming like DCS.

Even if it is, a rule if thumb would be to normally skip a generation.

Which is what I have done with the 20x series personally since I had a 1080ti, that I got a few months after launch before all the mining craze for $800,

paying $1400+ for a card that was barely 15-25% performance increase was too much for not enough.

And since I'm old, and paid attention to how NVIDIA and tech development goes.

RTX was going for something groundbreaking and new, these first steps offer the tech that tentatively get the ball rolling and is often prohibitively expensive. The second iteration is often a massive step forward and less pricy.

So yeah, the 30 series for RTX is a giant leap and will become a bigger deal going forward but it's still sometime before that applies to most games, especially DCS.

The 2080ti is still a very good card.

And in a year I expect Nvidia to release the S series cards (or ti), in two years the 40.

New chip etc even more refinement to the new features, not as massive as the current leap, but the usual 20-30% and probably a little cheaper.

So I'd keep the 2080ti for at least another year, also the used prices for a 2080ti is free falling atm, you wouldn't get much more than $600 for it now.

Honestly I'm sceptical to how much more this new GPU would matter for dcs at all, the game is currently so cpu bound we won't see a real "unlock" of current gpus until we get the switch to Vulkan.

As for going vr or not, I can't really recommend you anything. It becomes a personal thing.

Personally I have never played dcs on a flat screen.

And I just wouldn't.

The fov and loss of depth would make it pointless.

The S with a little PD increase and some SMAA is better than any 1080p screen I have ever had.

As for options, I have a 34" 3440×1440, 65"4k tv and a 100" projection home cinema setup.

After vr any of these seem like gaming on a postage stamp, and to "increase" your situational awareness they increase fov to a ridiculous degree making games seem like bad 90's music video.

That's my preference, anyone can make up theirs.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Honestly I'm sceptical to how much more this new GPU would matter for dcs at all, the game is currently so cpu bound we won't see a real "unlock" of current gpus until we get the switch to Vulkan.

I have no idea why people say that as if it's a fact. The fact is that it depends totally on your hardware whether you are GPU or CPU bound in DCS.

For me, I am GPU bound 90% of the time.