Anyone planning on getting the 3090 for VR?

kevman

1. I am currently running a GTX 1080, not even a Ti.

2. I have pre-ordered a reverb G2.

Same here. For me, a GPU is an every-four-years (i.e., every other tech cycle) upgrade. And I don't buy it with the near term in mind so much as asking the question, "Will I still be able to run what/how I want in three years, or four?" I frankly doubt that anything I'm doing now will see a meaningful difference with a 3090 versus a 3080, including DCS.

For me, the potential appeal of the (likely massively expensive) 3090 is the idea that it could push the next upgrade out by an extra year. But even then, I'm asking myself whether a 60% cost premium is worth that. If the 3080 (and its successor in two years e.g. a 4080) are priced at $800, then the cost of a 3090 today is almost the cost of a 3080 today and a like-model upgrade in two years.

And when I consider that such a hypothetical $800 "4080" type card in two years may likely outpace the 3090, it makes it hard to convince myself to get the 3090.

So why do I still want one? Ugh, why couldn't I have a sensible and more affordable hobby, like drug addiction or luxury yachting?

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the video link. I’ll have a peep when I have a bit more time. Now, this might sound a bit mad, but I would never buy a motherboard or CPU that didn’t have overclocking capabilities. I always live in hope that maybe one day :D

Just to add to the peer pressure, I have a 6700k that I was running at a modest 4.2 Ghz, because that's what my motherboard's "easy overclocking" bios utility said was kosher. And even then, I was getting weird voltages that made me feel like I was abusing my CPU.

Then helpful enablers on this forum finally shamed me into trying to take it higher. This time I did a little more research (i.e., watched a couple videos), and did the overclock manually. I'm now at 4.6, my voltages are dead stable (because I set them manually) and my peak temperatures hardly went up at all. I'm using a Noctua air cooler too, not some cryogenic-water-cooling-ice-bucket-challenge kind of setup. And I plan to push the CPU to 4.8, because even at 4.6, the difference was noticeable, especially in VR.

Part of my rationale was that I'd had my CPU for a few years, so even if OCing it did negatively impact the lifespan, I would be looking to upgrade it in a year or two anyway if I didn't overclock.

Put another way, the longer you've had the CPU, the less you have to lose by overclocking.

All that said, it's nobody's business but yours, so if overclocking just isn't where you want to put your time and energy, I sure can't argue with that! Best of luck regardless.

And when I consider that such a hypothetical $800 "4080" type card in two years may likely outpace the 3090, it makes it hard to convince myself to get the 3090.

QFT.

So why do I still want one? Ugh, why couldn't I have a sensible and more affordable hobby, like drug addiction or luxury yachting?

Trust me, there are worse things than PC gaming.

Before VR, I took a detour into Home AV gear.

And run of the mil, barely recommended screen would be $2k.

And I spent $800 on a freaking blueray player alone...

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Interesting, not a lot of focus on VR in Nvidia presentation. In fact, Jensen didn't spend even one sentence on VR performance or any new VR related tech.

Remember Single Pass Stereo in Nvidia Pascal? VirtualLink in Turing?

Maybe it's for the better, I believe both those technologies are dead.

Yeah, 3070 > 2080Ti, for $499:

20200901173109.jpg

That seems to be performance in 4K rasterised games, since RT performance is on next slide. But I'm sure "multiple popular games" could be cherry picked to show this result, and other games or settings could show different results...

Same here. For me, a GPU is an every-four-years (i.e., every other tech cycle) upgrade. And I don't buy it with the near term in mind so much as asking the question, "Will I still be able to run what/how I want in three years, or four?" I frankly doubt that anything I'm doing now will see a meaningful difference with a 3090 versus a 3080, including DCS.

For me, the potential appeal of the (likely massively expensive) 3090 is the idea that it could push the next upgrade out by an extra year. But even then, I'm asking myself whether a 60% cost premium is worth that. If the 3080 (and its successor in two years e.g. a 4080) are priced at $800, then the cost of a 3090 today is almost the cost of a 3080 today and a like-model upgrade in two years.

Walking through this, you've practically convinced me to go with the 3080. Indeed, the future 4080 (2 years from now will outpace the 3090). ;)

Besides, going from a 1080 to a 3080, that'll be a nice step for me...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Yeah, 3070 > 2080Ti, for $499:

20200901173109.jpg

That seems to be performance in 4K rasterised games, since RT performance is on next slide. But I'm sure "multiple popular games" could be cherry picked to show this result, and other games or settings could show different results...

What is frustrating is that I didn't see any performance figures on the 3090 in the presentation. I mean, why is it not on that graph?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

What is frustrating is that I didn't see any performance figures on the 3090 in the presentation. I mean, why is it not on that graph?

"Off the charts" in both performance and price maybe? :D

DOH! Stormrider beat me to it.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Yeah it was odd that they did not show it on the graph - on paper it will only be about 20% faster than the 3080 so probably not gonna be worth the extra cash unless DCS can use that Ram

Well 1500 dollars. I am in! Thought the 3090 becomes 2000 dollars. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Personally I think this is only half the story, there is a big gap, price wise and vram wise between the 3080 and the 3090. The rumour mill did suggest a 3080 with 20Gbs of vram which would be the spot a 3080ti might fill for $900-$1200?

I don't think we've seen the last word on high end gfx-cards from Nvida, they might be keeping a couple of cards to play incase RDNA 2 really is a serious challenge to their crown.

Edited by TBAR

Considering it's $1499 price tag. the 3090 should most likely be somewhere in the mark areas, which is indeed "Off the chart"

Somewhere off to the right I believe.

k6TRsQk.png

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

I am carefully considering it.

Not sure though, will wait and way my options once the EVGA cards are announced.

While I may not know which model I will get, I do know it will be EVGA. Been with them a long time and they

have never let me down.

C'mon Don, I'm counting on you for your impression. Otherwise I won't have anyone to blame for my purchase.;)

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

So, £1399 in the UK. I'll be pre-ordering asap!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It's interesting for sure.. $2500nzd over here for the 3090, probably more.. its all very optimistic to do the currency conversion and hope thats where it lands :)

I wont upgrade before my G2, so time to see if there is something in between, i.e. 3080ti.

Also time to see the real performance, not just the RTX performance. Its hard to know if the increase in performance they tout over the 1080ti is based on your usual benchmarks. Its no good to me to find these improvements are only for games supporting rtx.

10GB ram seems small when DCS loads all that up right away but then you have to think if it really needs to? 10gb on disk is a lot of assets, maybe there is a better way for dcs..

No logical reasons really, why?

1) I have only one core in use with DCS, everything else are just performing background tasks.

I wait the new Terrain Engine, new Graphics Engine, New Weather Engine, new AI and most importantly the Vulcan implementation before considering hard for a CPU upgrade. When Vulkan comes, I would expect to see ALL cores to be used by DCS and that is multifold performance increase.

2) I have GPU idling because CPU is the bottle neck. Seriously, the DCS doesn't have a such graphics that would 100% utilize the GPU even in the last generation (1000 series). Need to wait for the Vulcan and all other changes to see what will be needed.

There are many other clever technologies, like improved Oculus rendering for filling the missing frames with depth information, we don't have that.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

No logical reasons really, why?

1) I have only one core in use with DCS, everything else are just performing background tasks.

I wait the new Terrain Engine, new Graphics Engine, New Weather Engine, new AI and most importantly the Vulcan implementation before considering hard for a CPU upgrade. When Vulkan comes, I would expect to see ALL cores to be used by DCS and that is multifold performance increase.

2) I have GPU idling because CPU is the bottle neck. Seriously, the DCS doesn't have a such graphics that would 100% utilize the GPU even in the last generation (1000 series). Need to wait for the Vulcan and all other changes to see what will be needed.

There are many other clever technologies, like improved Oculus rendering for filling the missing frames with depth information, we don't have that.

My 1080ti is clearly showing as the bottle neck on my system, under dcs loads, so if I get to a point where my cpu is he bottle neck I will be content.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

going back to the thread title.. 3090 no.. 3080 something, for sure. I am in vr and can live with the performance of my 1080ti for a bit longer as I get 90 in most of my sims other than DCS.

I dont expect that a 3080 series will get dcs to > 45 in VR so at least here I dont see any great improvement to be had in upgrading. I suppose that buys me a little time to see if there is a 3080ti.

I definitely will be upgrading to the new 3090 or even a new Titan, but it will be in conjunction with a whole new box: Reverb G2, 10900K, Titan or 3090, pcie4.0 ssd, 64 GB DDR4 4400, 4k oled 48in monitor, more power...etc... It's all generational changes. I can't wait.

PS I've been delightfully surprised by the steady progress being made in the core DCS game, stuff is finally getting fixed afters years...

Ryzen 5950x PBO | MSI RTX 3090 | 32gb 3600 RAM | 2 x SSD | Quest 3 | TM Warthog