New external sounds

Cgjunk2

I apologize for making a new thread just for this topic, but was surprised to see not many comments about the new external sounds. These new sounds sound a bit lower quality than the last ones (which I thought were fine). The sounds, while they sound rawer and more powerful, seem to my ears to come from an inferior sample, and sound loops are evident (kind of like the ‘m2000). The rear ext sound seems to be on an 8 second loop. The front ext sound displays similar looping quality. The transition from front to rear sounds is pretty sharp. There doesnt seem to be a qualitative difference in sound with the AB on either.

I really liked the old sounds. I hope the sounds get rolled back, or at least hope the current sounds get improved significantly. Besides the issues above, the external sounds seem a bit too aggressive compared to the f14.

External sound are WIP as stated on the changelog

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

• ED Team
I apologize for making a new thread just for this topic, but was surprised to see not many comments about the new external sounds

From the feedback I got, most people like the new sounds. However, there is still work to be done on the sounds. I would be very grateful if you show specifically in the video those nuances that you are extremely unhappy with. Desirable in comparison with real video

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)

. There doesnt seem to be a qualitative difference in sound with the AB on either.

Multiple Hornet drivers have said that IRL you cant really make out the difference between full MIL and AB. What you hear mostly in the pit is the ECS. ED has already implemented the Loud A/B function in the Special Options for those who want to be unrealistic and can not read gauges.

As per the rest of your post, ED can not base their sim on your feelings and things that seem to you. If you prefer the old sounds there might be a mod coming and otherwhise it is what we call 'tough shit'.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

I like the sound from the outside, only the inside has deteriorated in my opinion. I've waited a long time for the throttle sound!. Now we have it :thumbup:. No ... but this new beeping (not ecs) in the cockpit doesn't want to please me.:noexpression:

i9-11900K, alle Kerne 5100 MHz  –  Asus ROG Maximus XIII Extreme – 64 GB DDR4 3733 MHz Cl17 – NVIDIA Rtx Asus Strix Oc 2080 super (4090 später 🕹️) – Hotas Warthog mit Drossel – Vpc Mongoos T50CM2 & Vpc 200 mm Verlängerung – Vpc ACE Sammlung Pedale -Trackir5

I have to agree with OP.

In external / F2 view the transition between looking from the rear to front is too 'sharp'.

I flew MP first time since update and the F2 externals almost blew my ears out. I had to go and decrease the world sounds down at least 5% or it was overwhelming. Never had that problem before.

However I really appreciate ED fixing the DDI and MPCD readability. Now we have contrast control, day/night on MPCD and more. Not to mention the awesome updates to the TPOD and the Ground Radar. I care more about these issues than some sound upgrade that changes everything else.

---

PC: Windows 10 Pro X64, AMD FX8120 8 Core @ ~4.0GHz, 32GB DDR3-1600, GTX 1080 8Gb, 1 TB EVO 860 SSD | Displays: 3 Dell HD 1920x1080 @ 5520x1080 windowed ||| Hardware : TM Warthog HOTAS Stick+Throttle | 3x TM Cougar MFD's | WW Combat Panel | WW Landing Panel ||| Mods: F/A-18C | F-16 | P51-D | UH-1H | C130-J | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Syria | Channel | Normandy | WWII Assets | Super Carrier | Combined Arms

I love the new sounds, i think it´s really an improvement. Of course everyone can have their own liking like the OP, but for me i´m very pleased with the ED work on Hornet sound, altough it´s still WIP and can/should be improved. Hope can be implemented that owling when in close for carrier landing and you can hear the engines changing different power states.

Best regards,

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

As per the rest of your post, ED can not base their sim on your feelings and things that seem to you. If you prefer the old sounds there might be a mod coming and otherwhise it is what we call 'tough shit'.

Speaking of F2 view, except when on the ground, sound for this is viewpoint is a complete fantasy. To expect perfect fidelity in sounds in this view while in flight is to demand an onslaught of wind noise with perhaps a indistinct engine sound in the background.

So, until ED banishes the F2 view on the grounds of realism, you are pretty much left trying to make a sound that “seems” to be believable, gives a bit of satisfaction to our pretend fighter pilot instincts, and doesnt sound like it’s repeating a loop every 8 seconds. Opinions on what sounds good will vary, I was just offering mine as a data point on how the sounds are being perceived by at least me.

If AB sounds arent really perceptibly different from MIL power, I am fine if the decision is made to leave that part alone. Honestly, the looping quality is what gets me the most.. Does anyone else notice that, or is it just me?

• ED Team

People sometimes compare the view of F2 (exactly F2) in the air with something .... I am always very interested how? :) Do you have the experience flying near FA18? or do you have the video from F2 view in the air in real life? Please please share it to me!

That is why I very much ask all comparisons to be made with real video recordings. I think you can do it only with F3 view from a certain distance. Therefore, sounds for air, their volume and cones/spheres of sound are adjusted exactly for F3 view. Not F2

In any case, your opinion has been heard. I will do my best to improve the external sound. And again, I will be very grateful in this thread if you concretize, together with the videos and comparisons, what exactly can be improved. Many thanks you all!

Edited by btd

Best regards,

People sometimes compare the view of F2 (exactly F2) in the air with something .... I am always very interested how? :) Do you have the experience flying near FA18? or do you have the video from F2 view in the air in real life? Please please share it to me!

That is why I very much ask all comparisons to be made with real video recordings. I think you can do it only with F3 view from a certain distance. Therefore, sounds for air, their volume and cones/spheres of sound are adjusted exactly for F3 view. Not F2

In any case, your opinion has been heard. I will do my best to improve the external sound. And again, I will be very grateful in this thread if you concretize, together with the videos and comparisons, what exactly can be improved. Many thanks you all!

The Blue Angels visit here every year. If you can, you should try to attend a show and hear them fly a 150ft above your head. It sounds amazing, but can't be matched with my headphones :megalol:

***HEY LOOK HERE***

• ED Team

You speak about F3 view in DCS :)

You can't fly near Blue Angels and rotate yourself around them :)

I've recorded F3-view flybys, as on Air Show with current sounds. I made it from scratch, so it's not great.

But please look at it. That is how new external sounds works.

Do you hear sharp transition from front to rear? or 8-sec bad quality loops?

Edited by btd

Best regards,

• ED Team
Answer: You can get F2 audio from air shows.

No :) You cannot fly at the speed of an airplane with your camera and rotate around the airplane after a few meters))

Although maybe some wingsuit-mans can ) But anyway, it should be too hard to hear or record something, but white noise.

But you can get F3-view. From a certain distance and with doppler and with very quickly changed angle of view at short distances.

Best regards,

• ED Team
You can't hear supersonic engine thrust noise even if you are at the rear of the aircraft and the compressor whine is always present during taxi.

This is a feature of a particular microphone. It cuts off the low frequencies dynamically so that wind noise does not block the entire recording.

Best regards,

• ED Team

So, considering your wishes, the sound has been updated a bit. Here's a short video of how it sounds now:

In the second half of the video for immortal supermen ;) - flying next to the plane in F2-view, switching on / off the afterburner.

Many thanks for your help. I hope you will like it. Please be patient, I can't say for sure how quickly this update will get to you.

Best regards,