[REPORTED]Strange Graphical Glitch

MarvK

This issue seems to have some relation to explosions - I see it almost every five minutes playing in my usual PvP haunts, and have seen it directly coincide with other aircraft being destroyed, but saw it only once (around the same time someone crashed) while on Aerobatics Online earlier. Have not seen it in missions with no combat. I've heard other people arrive at the same conclusion too.

Hey thanks again for the thread MarvK.  The yellow flash above is definitely what I am experiencing.  I am only getting it on my spitfire in Normandy...haven't tried my mustang in a while but I'll give it a whirl to see if the same happens.  I haven't had any problems on any of my other planes or campaigns.

On 12/14/2020 at 9:30 AM, Flappie said:

@Andy1966Thank you for testing this. I see in your log you have an NVIDIA gfx card.

It'd be interesting to see if some Radeon-equiped user can reproduce what @Airmage did by clearing his AMD shader cache (no more glitch as long as he doesn't launch another game).

thanks, I try to help as much as I can, I just wish I had more spare time to help more.

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I too am also experiencing the flashes on both the Channel Map and Normandy, it happens in Horrido during action and also in the Blue Noses campaign, Horrido is the worst though . I am using an RTX 2080 super have tried about 6 sets of different drivers including the studio ones and it makes no difference, neither does emptying the cache. I can't say for the other maps as I have not flown them in a while, but when I do I will let you know.

All the time no change. Channel map tested. The first launch of the mission seemed to be fine but after a few minutes it started. Then each subsequent launch of the mission began with intense flashes.

W10 64bit, i9 9900K, 64GB RAM, GTX 1070Ti, 27" FullHD monitor

Interesting message from another thread. Try disabling Gsync/Freesync and see if you keep having those glitches:

5 hours ago, Aluminum Donkey said:

Can confirm than the newest update gives a LOT less stuttering now. The original version of the new damage model was terrible--the newer one runs much smoother.

So, all we have left to deal with is the stupid yellow flashing (black flashes for AMD graphics card users) that seems to me to be caused by Freesync/G-Sync.

With Freesync/G-Sync turned off, there are no flashes, just a few graphical glitches here and there. The flashing seems to be caused by an inherent glitch in the sim, but is made into big, obvious yellow/black flashes whenever Adaptive Refresh (Freesync/G-Sync) is enabled.

We're part-way there. ED just needs to focus on eliminating the flashing now, with the dreadful damage model stutters eliminated!

Peace and happy warfare

AD

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

3 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Interesting message from another thread. Try disabling Gsync/Freesync and see if you keep having those glitches:

I have disabled it. No more yellow flashes. However, there are still some graphical glitches, but they're relatively minor. G-Sync/Freesync seems to magnify them into the yellow flashes above the horizon, or black flashes for AMD users.

Fortunately, the stuttering caused by the new damage model seems to be fixed. I still would prefer to fly with G-Sync on though, because it's much smoother when framerates drop below the monitor's maximum (which for me is 75 Hz, I'm using an HP Omen 32" monitor.)

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

11 hours ago, MarvK said:

Has anyone tried after today’s update?  Not able to test it for awhile.

It still does it.

The really bad stuttering with WW2 fighters (new damage model) has been fixed, but the yellow flashes still happen. I see it all the time flying in the Normandy map, but others have noticed it elsewhere as well.

For me it seems heavily related to G-Sync use.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

Hi I just wanted to say I just flew online on LDFMs  The Channel server earlier and there were no yellow and black flashes as were described earlier. there were however some stutters, not terrible, but very noticeable. 

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

4 hours ago, zionid said:

Stutters still very much present. Flashes as well. Normandy and Channel. No mods. Only WW2 (damage model) related (?)

Do you have the latest update installed, version 59398? The WW2 damage model stutters are fixed (whew!).

Flashes are still happening for me in Normandy. I don't have the Channel map. They seem directly related to explosion and fire effects on the ground, and show up when various aircraft have been shot down. No mods for me either.

The sim is running very smoothly now though, and I have gotten better performance by turning off all MSAA and SSAA in-sim, and only using Nvidia DSR, set to 2.25x. It increases my pixel count from 1440p (native) to 4K, which uses more VRAM, but it's also easier on the GPU itself, so I get higher framerates. It looks better too, try it!

If you're not using Freesync/G-Sync, then you will get stuttering when the framerate drops below your monitor's refresh rate. Just the way it works.

AD

Edited by Aluminum Donkey

Kit:

Yes, I am up to date. The sim runs super smooth and performance overall (for me) is great, but there are very noticable hiccups and stutter when flying WW2 dogfights and aircraft are getting shot. Seems slightly less than before, but still significant. One problem I had last patch was that flak turned the game into a slideshow is thankfully solved. Yet the flashes make the game almost unplayable.

Example: Choose the Spitfire and do a quickstart "furball" mission against FW-190's. After a few minutes it turns into a stuttery epileptic nightmare.

19 hours ago, Flappie said:

And what happens if you disable Vsync both ingame and in your GFX driver options? Does the glitch still show up?

Yes, it does. However, I noticed that the flashes are not as intense as I turn off global ilumination. In general, they occur with different intensity in different missions / situations.

W10 64bit, i9 9900K, 64GB RAM, GTX 1070Ti, 27" FullHD monitor

I'm not so sure why this thread is called "Strange Graphical Glitch", because it isn't strange at all. Everyone has it!

Man oh man is it ever annoying. ED is gonna have to step up and fix it, no other game has it and it's irritating everybody. Time to fix what's broken instead of worrying about trivial things like new tanks and new textures for oil barrels.

AD

Kit:

No gsync/freesync here either, clearing fxo/metashaders doesn't affect it, nothing - like I said, I've only ever seen this happen when something explodes. The explosion effects seem to be triggering it, particularly when an aircraft is destroyed (haven't tested with ground units). I'm running a 1050Ti, but I'm still on reasonably old drivers (436.38) as I primarily fly the MiG-21bis and heard that newer drives cause unplayably low framerate. For what it's worth, people I know on up-to-date drivers experience these same flashes. I don't remember when they first appeared ingame, but I think it was somewhere around 3-6 months ago.

Likewise, I've also noticed some fairly severe screen tearing/artefacting when clouds are present - particularly on missions with a total overcast, rapid camera movements in cockpit (with TrackIR in my case) cause black flashes and ghosting/tearing of parts of the cockpit. Haven't noticed this second issue with clear weather so much - still saw some mild tearing in some modules, but no black flashes. This second issue has been present for only 2-4 months, at least that I've noticed.

Edited by rossmum