P-47 Rolls With Throttle And No Stick INput

Hi again,

I recently mentioned a problem I was having with my aircraft in my newly installed 2.5.6 version of DCS World, where I noticed a slight throttle movement from my Saitek Throttle Quadrant would result in a violent uncommanded rolling motion. After some experimentation with the P-47D I noticed that when I had mapped the throttle command to my Quadrant it had for some reason taken the same assignment as that already given to my Roll Axis, both of which were now Joy_X, even though moving my throttle lever to assign the control should have had nothing to do with a Joystick assignment. I tried letting the throttle assignment alone as the game seemed to want it there, but then I had trouble reassigning the roll axis as it would always come up as Joy_X whenever I moved the stick. And unlike the P-51D and the Spit IX there didn't seem to be any Joy_Z assignment option, there didn't seem to be one for the P-47D. I finally got around this by adding a modifier to the drop down list and assigning a joystick button to it, so that now as long as I move the throttle lever while holding the joystick button down the snap rolling has disappeared and I verified that the MP and RPM gauges show correct readings as the power is increased and decreased. This seems a bit awkward to have to do but I couldn't finf any other way to fix the problem. Does anyone else have any ideas or has any other posts been made about this? Thank you.

NavyAce

Hi again,

I recently mentioned a problem I was having with my aircraft in my newly installed 2.5.6 version of DCS World, where I noticed a slight throttle movement from my Saitek Throttle Quadrant would result in a violent uncommanded rolling motion. After some experimentation with the P-47D I noticed that when I had mapped the throttle command to my Quadrant it had for some reason taken the same assignment as that already given to my Roll Axis, both of which were now Joy_X, even though moving my throttle lever to assign the control should have had nothing to do with a Joystick assignment. I tried letting the throttle assignment alone as the game seemed to want it there, but then I had trouble reassigning the roll axis as it would always come up as Joy_X whenever I moved the stick. And unlike the P-51D and the Spit IX there didn't seem to be any Joy_Z assignment option, there didn't seem to be one for the P-47D. I finally got around this by adding a modifier to the drop down list and assigning a joystick button to it, so that now as long as I move the throttle lever while holding the joystick button down the snap rolling has disappeared and I verified that the MP and RPM gauges show correct readings as the power is increased and decreased. This seems a bit awkward to have to do but I couldn't finf any other way to fix the problem. Does anyone else have any ideas or has any other posts been made about this? Thank you.

NavyAce

Show a screenshot of your controller assignments.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

^ What JJ said.

Whenever you install a new aircraft in DCS, the game automatically makes a bunch of duplicated control assignments for every single USB device plugged into your PC whether they make sense or not. Recommended (or rather mandatory) thing before the first flight is then to clear all of them, at least the axis-related ones, and make assignments again as per your preference.

Just click on each device column one by one, scroll down, clear unnecessary functions, reconfigure and tweak necessary ones as needed.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

^ What JJ said.

Whenever you install a new aircraft in DCS, the game automatically makes a bunch of duplicated control assignments for every single USB device plugged into your PC whether they make sense or not. Recommended (or rather mandatory) thing before the first flight is then to clear all of them, at least the axis-related ones, and make assignments again as per your preference.

Just click on each device column one by one, scroll down, clear unnecessary functions, reconfigure and tweak necessary ones as needed.

Yes default assign logic is so broken, it always require from user to wipe all bindings before mapping proper one. It is impossible to fly a plane with default one, so i have no idea why this thing even exists.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

No, it should be there already. I've noticed though I typed a wrong path. The correct one is

C:\Users\[your user name]\Saved Games\DCS (or DCS.openbeta depending on which one you've got)\Screenshots.

Notice it's not the game folder, but another one, created on system drive to store all user-related DCS settings and content.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Kind of an aside Navy. Once you get your mappings fixed.

The P-47 will roll, quite noticeably from torque or "nose wobble" when you push the throttle forward aggressively, or turbo boost comes on strong. If you are not ready for this, or offsetting with trim, or Boost Lever/Throttle application, it will give you issues on landing, gun runs, and cruising nice and level with zero stick input.

The P-47 will fly straight and level with zero stick input, and it makes a wonderful gun platform, nice and stable - as long as you are aware of the torque influence.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

Multiple controllers can have a ''Joy X'' as you put it, that's just an axis. Every game controller will have X Y Z as a rule, or RY RZ something like that. The name doesn't matter, what matters is which controller category it's under.

Your ''roll'' should only have ONE controller assigned to it, on your stick. If it is showing in multiple controllers, like throttle AND stick, it means both controllers are actuating the same control surface, in this case ailerons.

Make sure you clear all your axis and assign them yourself. I tried to get them to drop their ''autoassign'' nonsense because DCS does a piss poor job of detecting and assigning controllers, but I was assured this is in fact ''noob friendly'', despite 50% of noob issues being related to it @@

Aside from that, as previously mentioned, prop driven aircraft have considerable torque and respond to power input more rapidly than turbine jets do. So, aggressive throttle movement WILL cause rolling back and forth, if you're at a critical moment in landing/takeoff, that can be fatal.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Yes default assign logic is so broken, it always require from user to wipe all bindings before mapping proper one. It is impossible to fly a plane with default one, so i have no idea why this thing even exists.

I think if you plug in ONLY a stick and throttle the default works pretty good. It seems to behave relatively decently in that scenario.

For folks like me, who have stick, rudder, two throttles, a button box and a game pad plugged in, the default is a horrible mess and must be wiped out.

It would be nice if the default wasn't actually default. Instead it could be an option. (defaults or custom) with the custom option giving one a blank page to start from.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Hi Art,

I followed the new pathway and found my screenshots folder with my previously attempted screenshot in it. I'd like to post it here but I'm not sure how to do it. Can you explain that to me please? However, I'd like to mention that since I deleted every assignment in the axis command section (mostly game defaults) and reassigned them manually to my devices (plus some modifiers) I now have everything working (throttle, prop control and mixture control, plus all three control axiNavyAce

Hey Gerb and zhukov,

Thanks for the input. I was thinking originally that the problem could have been torque related. I am a real life retired commercial airline captain who has flown many single and multi piston twins, including some 20 hours in a real SNJ so I am familiar with the torque effects on an aircraft. However, when moving my Saitek throttle out of the idle detent the aircraft would roll violently to almost a 90 degree angle before I'd had a chance to advance it even an eigth of an inch. This was clearly an overreation so I dismissed this an an explanation. However, after reading some of the earlier posts and after some of my own experimentation, I found that the command I had assigned to the roll axis from my joystick (Joy_X) had already been assigned by the game to the same function via a keyboard command, thus creating two assignments for the same function. This should have been revealed to me, as it has in otther flight sims, by the game telling me via a message upon selecting the axis command that the function had been previously been assigned, so that I could delete it. But I never saw one. After discovering this I deleted every axis command assignment and manually reassigned them to my various devices, and now I have my pitch and roll axis properly working via my joystick, my yaw axis properly working via my rudder pedals, and my throttle, prop, and mixture controls all properly working via my throttle quadrant. This use of multiple controllers also could have had a bearing on my problem. I will try to post a screenshot of my current axis assignments to show everyone what I have currently assigned. Thanks to all who helped.

NavyAce

Instead of using only "Post quick reply" window, you hit "Go Advanced" and then, by using "Manage Attachments" button below you just upload a picture as an attachment to your post.

But if you've got the controls sorted, no need to do it indeed.

• 3 months later...

I think this same thing is occurring with me. I'll have to check, but  I don't know why it would be p47 specific. I have a gladiator nxt stick and aside from mapping the throttle and such to the relevant controls on the base,I did nothing and incurred no control penalties in the p-51. In the the 47  it is very pronounced. I could not trim it out.  In my case there was both a left roll and nose down tendency. I'll check the axis assignments when I get home though. 

Edited by FlyingTaco21
Correction

I've not been able to duplicate inputs on the mapping page. My gladiator nxt pro has a two stage trigger and I just wanted both stages to be machine guns but binding the second one removed the binding from the first. Are there different rules for different input types that allow duplication? 

Edited by FlyingTaco21

On 1/8/2021 at 12:06 AM, FlyingTaco21 said:

I've not been able to duplicate inputs on the mapping page. My gladiator nxt pro has a two stage trigger and I just wanted both stages to be machine guns but binding the second one removed the binding from the first. Are there different rules for different input types that allow duplication? 

That doesn't sound right. As you can see from the attached screen shot, I have mapped both Trigger Stage 2 and the Weapon Release button on my joystick tp "Fire Cannon" for the Bf-109. And Trigger Stage 1  to "Fire Machine Guns". So if I pull the trigger all the way, it will fire MG and Cannon. If I want to fire the Cannon alone, I use the Weapon Release button. So in fact it is possible to bind 2 inputs to one command. The opposite is impossible: One input cannot be bound to two commands.Double-Binding.jpg

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

It works also with the P-47, see attachment. However it seems pointless because when I pull the trigger all the way to stage 2, trigger stage 1 is still active. That might be different with the VKB stick. I use the TM Warthog grip in the VIRPIL base.

Double-Binding P47.jpg

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 5 months later...

Not sure if this is any use, but when I apply power I get some roll too, I use the aileron trim to counter it.  It is due to engine torque  BUT  I would not describe the roll as violent or snappy, just very noticeable.