"Mutual Support" 2v2 BVR Tournament - 9/12/2020

dundun92

text16292.png

INTRO

Mutual Support is a 2v2 BVR Tournament. Naturally, the smaller team sizes often lead to more aggressive and interesting fights that are focused on solid mutual support.

Various editions of it will have various rulesets based on the approximate time era chosen; this edition is 1990s themed.

DATE AND TIME

This first edition of Mutual Support will start at 2030z on September 12, 2020. The running time will be no greater than 3 hrs. If this is exceeded, the competition will be resumed one of the the following Saturdays at a similar time, based on the teams preference.

Registration ends on September 10th

OBJECTIVES AND TOURNAMENT STYLE

Each match is conducted as best of three rounds (note that time permitting, and teams willing, 3rd rounds may still be played for teams that lost the first two). The objective is to destroy all enemy aircraft (by doing so preventing them from RTBing), and still be able to RTB to the designated base.

The competition is a knockout-style competition, with teams being eliminated after loosing a 3 round match. Time permitting, looser of the first round of fights will participate in a separate championship.

RULES

1. A single team may be comprised of as many pilots as desired; however, only two may be used at a time.
  2. Only one pilot is allowed to change between rounds (note that for the F-14, changing RIOs is allowed).
  3. Aircraft types may not be changed between rounds. Weapons loadout, however, can be.
  4. Mixed fleets of aircraft are allowed (e.g, one F-18C and one J-11A).
  5. All spawns are ground spawns separated by 100-120nm.

6. Either of the spawn airbases is a valid RTB airbase

7. The teams may choose which map they are going to use. Missions are available for Caucasus, Persian Gulf, and Syria maps.
  8. There is an engagement zone centered on the RTB airbase. This engagement zone will extend out to the spawn bases. You must stay within this engagement zone at all times; if you exit it you will be removed from the fight and cannot participate further.
  9. Weapons employment from outside the
    engagement zone is not permitted.
  10. You may not RTB/Respawn after takeoff. On the other hands, valid problems such as game crashes of a player will constitute a reason to restart the fight. Note that a restart for these reasons is only permitted within 5 minutes of takeoff. This also can only be done once per MATCH (not per round).
  11. Ping limit of 300 is server-enforced.
  12. Lonewolfs are allowed; the pairings are to be decided automatically the day before the matchup, and will stay that way for the tournament. Alternatively, you may decide on the pairings yourselves; in that case, simply state the agreed pairings no later than September 11th at 2300z.

13. No AWACS is present; however, EWR coverage will be avaliable for both sides.

14. More Rules TBD

WEAPONS RESTRICTIONS

This edition features a roughly 1990s rule set with some exceptions.

The BANNED weapons are: AIM-9X, AIM-120C, AIM-54A Mk.60 and AIM-54C, and Nukes.

Restricted weapons are: AIM-120B limited to 4. AIM-54 limited to 3. SD-10 is limited to 4.

COMMUNICATION

All team captains must be present on the Alamo Squadron Teamspeak (server info below) during play.

IP: 73.32.85.67

PW: 5775

Questions are to be asked either in PMs, or on this thread.

STREAMING AND PRIZES

There is no anticipated stream as of RN. If you would want to volunteer DM me.

There are no prizes, its simply for the fun of it!

REGISTRATION

Registration format is as follows:

[Team Name]

Player #1

Player #2

Player #3

As an example

Alamo Squadron

Alamo 1-1 | dundun92

Alamo 1-2 | Dankguy

There will be a limit of 8 teams as of RN.

OTHER RESOURCES

For those that may be interested, but may not be familiar with 2v2 BVR, the 2v1, 2v2, and Tactical Intercepts of "Fighter Combat: Tactics and Maneuvering" are very informative. It is widely available as a PDF online.

Edited by dundun92

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

Server IP: 73.32.85.67

Server PW: To be given before tournament start

Please show up in the TS3 channel labeled "Mutual Support 1990s" at least 10mins before the start, or no later than 2020z.

Edited by dundun92

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

Sounds fun, I'd join if I didn't have a SATAL match that day.

Curious though, the mk60 is typically more deadly than the 54C, and usually the restriction would be reversed. Is this intended?

Youre right, I was remembering things off the old 54s, where the A models were much easier to notch than the Cs. I will likely just allow all the 54s

HP Z400 Workstation

Alamo Squadron

Alamo 1-1 | dundun92

Alamo 1-2 | Dankguy

HP Z400 Workstation

;4477162']Looks sick but sadly i have a Satal game on the 12th. Hopefully we can join next time.

I do intend to keep hosting different editions of this so stay tuned after this one is over :).

HP Z400 Workstation

14th VFS Samurais

14thVFS | Kraut

14thVFS | H4VOK

One question though, when TaoHermit asked about AIM 54 i think the idea was that if we are restricting the others to 120B's the idea would be to ban the MK60. Are we allowing all Phoenix versions?

Edited by M4JOR H4V0K

14th VFS Samurais

14thVFS | Kraut

14thVFS | H4VOK

One question though, when TaoHermit asked about AIM 54 i think the idea was that if we are restricting the others to 120B's the idea would be to ban the MK60. Are we allowing all Phoenix versions?

I may end up restricting it, going to do some more testing.

HP Z400 Workstation

So I have decided that the Mk.60s and 54C will be banned, and only Mk.47s allowed. I may however increase the limit to 3 from 2, thoughts on this?

HP Z400 Workstation

Phoenixes are no factor honestly, yoi can try satal standard and allow 4. Otherwise i can hardly see any reason why someone should prefer those over amraams. My two cents.

That's kinda what I thought, given how easy to trash they are. I think I'll move it to 3.

HP Z400 Workstation

Are laser pods allowed in this competition? My boyfriend and I are thinking about signing up.

:huh:

HP Z400 Workstation

More info

With registration now closed, since there are only 4 teams, I will likely run a match between the losers of the first rounds.

TS info:

Server IP: 73.32.85.67

Server PW: To be given before tournament start

Please show up in the TS3 channel labeled "Mutual Support 1990s" at least 10mins before the start, or no later than 2020z.

HP Z400 Workstation

Thank you all for participating!

Here is the link for the Tacview: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TqkIVPKVcH5NBrm0RjJTmYMSZSy5AyzT/view?usp=sharing

In reference to the discussion at the end, for now for the next edition (which I am aiming to happen on the 26th) I will likely add an AWACS to the mission, but disable the datalink, so you would still get picture and bogey dope, just not AWACS DL. FF datalink obviously is still there. Thoughts?

Another potential option is to allow AWACS link but a) make it orbit significantly lower (sub 10-15kft), and b), potentially find an area with a bit more terrain, so that the datalink still is far from being an all-seeing eye and will have fairly large blindspots as everyone hits the deck during the fights progression, which was the original intent of using EWRs and not AWACS. It also would make flying high a tradeoff: you have the kinematics advantage, but your opponents get link on you, which you may not have on them if they are low.

Edited by dundun92

HP Z400 Workstation

I think the limitations on D/L and AWACS are a very artificial way to force a fight into the merge and/or low. I understand you want to limit this to a historical time frame, and that's fine. I really like the idea of authenticity in that form, but artificially creating "blind spots" to "make it interesting" just puts me off, likewise with the munitions limitations. I understand the desire for a competitive environment, but war isn't a sport. These machines, technologies, and weapons are not designed to be fair, they are designed to offer the best advantage they can give to the warfighter, and expecting them to be fair is foolish (imo).

To be frank these "deathmatch"-style fights are not my favorite thing, as there are considerations (like having enough fuel to RTB, or max trap weight/bringback considerations for the navy birds) that you can't really translate to the format. In any case, the lack of SA due to the limits of F/F datalink was really eye-opening to me and I have a lot to consider and learn from now. Thank you for providing this opportunity.

Edited by Marauder.exe

I definitely understand you guys, and I will say I did enjoy the last format. The main reasoning for this was actually because this was the original intent with EWRs, I did not realize that ED hadnt fixed them and allowed the F-16/18 to link with them. Again this was just a prelimnary decision to discuss, I personally am fine with or without it, I think it was challenging. Another thought; the terrain chosen was really flat, do you think more mountainous terrain would be better/worse (this would be without DL)?

HP Z400 Workstation