NVIDIA 3090 BFGPU announced. Will DCS benefit from this brute force vs 2080ti?

2080ti owner here, 3950x, 64gb ram @3600, 970 evo plus SSDs. DCS normal and VR performance has always been frustrating. Since this is a DCS bottleneck will getting a 3090 GPU even help? I see this is a brute force solution to DCS performance.

Thanks!

Short term answer, no. The limit in your case is the single threaded nature of DCS. Right now the single core speed of your processor is the limiting factor in performance right now. Once multi threading is implemented your computer should vastly increase in performance as it will use more than the one core it is using right now.

I'm also on VR (Reverb) with a 2070 Super. My FPS ranges between 25-40 on the Supercarrier. and around 45-55 FPS in the air. Deduct around 5 FPS for multiplayer. Probably the worst thing is the occasional stutter. When I don't use the VR, the FPS is consistently 100-120 with almost no stuttering.

While I don't expect to ever get to 100-120 FPS in VR, I do wonder if it is possible that the new RTX30 series will get me an extra 10-15 FPS plus reduce (but not eliminate) some of the stutters.

Fingers crossed.

I'm also on VR (Reverb) with a 2070 Super. My FPS ranges between 25-40 on the Supercarrier. and around 45-55 FPS in the air. Deduct around 5 FPS for multiplayer. Probably the worst thing is the occasional stutter. When I don't use the VR, the FPS is consistently 100-120 with almost no stuttering.

While I don't expect to ever get to 100-120 FPS in VR, I do wonder if it is possible that the new RTX30 series will get me an extra 10-15 FPS plus reduce (but not eliminate) some of the stutters.

Fingers crossed.

We can only hope!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Short term answer, no. The limit in your case is the single threaded nature of DCS. Right now the single core speed of your processor is the limiting factor in performance right now. Once multi threading is implemented your computer should vastly increase in performance as it will use more than the one core it is using right now.

AGHGHGH

Yes it will help, the question is how much. Look at frametime of CPU vs GPU via fpsvr when you play, my 2080Ti always hit the yellow or red zone first whereas my 9900K CPU frametime is mostly green. Judging from what Digital Foundry saw from testing various games (3080 vs 2080), the improvement might be significant—up to 80% in their testing, but we probably will not see that high in VR.

Wait til the beginning of next month and you will see a lot of real world benchmarks from a lot of folks here.

What we really need though for a substantial performance jump is DLSS support from ED, it can make 1440p games look as good if not better than 4K without the performance overhead.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Here 80% faster a normal 2080 rtx. And the 3090 says 50% faster as 2080 ti

System

Hydro H115i with 8700k @ 4,9 ghz all cores, Asus strix Z370 f, 32gb ddr4 3600Mhz, Asusrog swift 34 gsync ,Vr hp Reverb .Palit gaming pro 2080 ti Thrustmaster Warthog f18grip and th pedal

Steamvr ss 100% and dcs world ss 180%

tomcat eats the viper for breakfast :P

Lange lebe die Tomcat": Long live the Cat!

The new RTX3000s are beasts, that's for sure.

But we'll need to wait for propper reviews with emphasis on rasterization relative performance, and not leaning on biased comparisons with Ray Tracing and DLSS enabled, like DF has done there.

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

I seem to remember in the presentation that the 3000 series GPU can directly load textures from SSD/NVMe via the PCI4 bus without CPU interaction. If this is true then potentially it could speed up loading of map textures as you fly long into new areas, but overall I think the single threaded nature of DCS is the main bottleneck right now. Overclocking my CPU to 5Ghz gave me more FPS increase than jumping from 1080 to 2080Ti.

For high resolutions and VR this could be a pretty big bump in performance with the amount of cuda cores in the 3080 and 3090, the 3080 has twice the cuda cores of the 2080Ti. .. for anything less than 4k, or high amounts of supersampling, you're still likely going to run into a wall with a cpu bottleneck in dx11 titles.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

For high resolutions and VR this could be a pretty big bump in performance with the amount of cuda cores in the 3080 and 3090, the 3080 has twice the cuda cores of the 2080Ti. .. for anything less than 4k, or high amounts of supersampling, you're still likely going to run into a wall with a cpu bottleneck in dx11 titles.

My thoughts exactly

Hopefully we will see some benchmarks soon, & finally be able to play in VR with decent FPS

Here 80% faster a normal 2080 rtx. And the 3090 says 50% faster as 2080 ti

When I did some comparisons of the 1080 TI and 2080 Ti I did find that most of the performance difference was in Dx12, with Dx11 having a much lower performance delta. Given that DCS and other flight sims are mostly Dx11 for now, I suspect we may see a similar reduced difference in performance. However, nVidia does seem to have done something interesting with its CUDA cores this time and seems to have set them up in a way that effectively doubles the core density, though with some limitations.

Also, DCS is eventually moving to Vulkan, so the Dx11 limitation may cease to be one.

Yes it will help, the question is how much. Look at frametime of CPU vs GPU via fpsvr when you play, my 2080Ti always hit the yellow or red zone first whereas my 9900K CPU frametime is mostly green. Judging from what Digital Foundry saw from testing various games (3080 vs 2080), the improvement might be significant—up to 80% in their testing, but we probably will not see that high in VR.

Wait til the beginning of next month and you will see a lot of real world benchmarks from a lot of folks here.

What we really need though for a substantial performance jump is DLSS support from ED, it can make 1440p games look as good if not better than 4K without the performance overhead.

I'd be extremely cautious about doing DLSS in a combat flight sim, given just how dependent we are on fine detail for spotting. The YouTube algorithm is fantastic as low loss compression, but it absolutely destroyes targets. I'd be very concerned that DLSS would do the same, and I'd need to see some form of formalized spotting impact testing before I'd even suggest the devs spend the time to incorporate it.

Harry Voyager

When I did some comparisons of the 1080 TI and 2080 Ti I did find that most of the performance difference was in Dx12, with Dx11 having a much lower performance delta. Given that DCS and other flight sims are mostly Dx11 for now, I suspect we may see a similar reduced difference in performance. However, nVidia does seem to have done something interesting with its CUDA cores this time and seems to have set them up in a way that effectively doubles the core density, though with some limitations.

Also, DCS is eventually moving to Vulkan, so the Dx11 limitation may cease to be one.

I'd be extremely cautious about doing DLSS in a combat flight sim, given just how dependent we are on fine detail for spotting. The YouTube algorithm is fantastic as low loss compression, but it absolutely destroyes targets. I'd be very concerned that DLSS would do the same, and I'd need to see some form of formalized spotting impact testing before I'd even suggest the devs spend the time to incorporate it.

Harry Voyager

Oh don’t worry, we will likely never see DLSS implementation in DCS anyway since it is NVIDA’s specific technology.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

My money is on very little performance if anything. Certainly not worth the cost if your running a 2080Ti as I am. The OC of the CPU is more effective given the DCS architecture.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

2080ti owner here, 3950x, 64gb ram @3600, 970 evo plus SSDs. DCS normal and VR performance has always been frustrating. Since this is a DCS bottleneck will getting a 3090 GPU even help? I see this is a brute force solution to DCS performance.

Thanks!

DCS runs great on my 34 inch 1440 screen and VR.

EVGA 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA - 99000k - 32gb 3200 14-14-14-34 - ASROK Phantom 9 - EVGA 1300W - 970 EVO Plus 1TB [X2] - Noctua D15 - Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 [X8] - Asus PG349q 34" 3440 x 1440 @120hz - Oculus S - EVGA D87 Case

I dont think FPS is going to improve with the 3090 over my 2080TI... but what WILL improve is how much PD I can run on my HP Reverb at the same FPS...

I'll be cranking PD to 2.0 or more and enabling MSAA using a 3090 and I'm 90% certain i'll have the same minimum fps, which is most of what matters in VR anyway (maintaining 45 or 90hz).

Edited by Slash621

New Setup : 13900K, Asus ROG Strix 4090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, DT 1990 Pro Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Setup: 12900KS @ 5.5 , EVGA FTW3 Hybrid 3090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, Philips X2HR Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Old Setup: 9900KS @ 5.2, EVGA FTW3 3090. 32GB of DDR3866, 3x 1TB ADATA NVME

Thanks!

Go for it! Grinding away with that rusty old 2080 Ti has really gotta suck. It's only money, time for an upgrade! Chuck in another 128 GB of RAM while you're at it and you'll really be cooking with gas.

(In short, No)

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

2080Ti vs 1080Ti DCS real world numbers.

https://forums.mudspike.com/t/gtx-1080-ti-vs-rtx-2080-ti-dcs-shootout/8049

The RTX 30 series give a much bigger boost in performance over the previous generation compared to the RTX 20 series for sure. Note that all of the newly announced cards are touted as faster than the 2080Ti, and this is unprecedented especially if you are upgrading from a non-2080Ti card. The 3080 completely crushes the 2080Ti in Doom 4k fps in the recently released footage.

NVIDIA states that 3090 is approximately 50% faster than 2080Ti, so in the real world I would expect around 30-40% performance increase in DCS give or take. This won't let me eliminate reprojection in VR at the settings that I want to run, but would definitely help in congested areas. On the other hand, with multi-monitor setup it will likely allow me to run the main display panel at 4k while maintaining steady 60 fps.

Edited by Supmua

I think it depend a great deal on the aircraft you use, some seem way more cpu dependant. You can check if you cpu is bottlenecked by using FPSvr.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

Yeah they said the 2080 crushed the 1080 as well. Reality was quite different.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Yeah they said the 2080 crushed the 1080 as well. Reality was quite different.

Literally nobody said that apart from Nvidia, not only was it poor performance but was more money than the last gen. It was always around 25-35% gain but people where justifying the cost because of the RTX.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

Literally nobody said that apart from Nvidia, not only was it poor performance but was more money than the last gen. It was always around 25-35% gain but people where justifying the cost because of the RTX.

I hope your right but I doubt it.

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

So I found out what was going on with the 30 series CUDA Cores. According to the reddit thread here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-30-series-community-qa/

nVidia changed the architecture of the CUDA Cores. If I understand it, each core was previously able to do an INT32 and an FP32 operation, but they changed it so that, if the game calls for it, the core can optionally instead do two FP32 operations, effectively doubling the FP32 performance, at the expense of Integer performance.

So this becomes a question for the dev team: Is the DCS graphics engine more dependent on the Floating Point operations, or does it still require more INT32 operations? If this is a FP32 demanding engine, and doesn't use much INT32 operations at all, we could see a true 2x lift, but, if DCS is much more dependent on the INT32 operations, we may see little or no lift at all.

I wrote this once before and still think it holds true.

Getting a 30xx will only increase max fps.

But it will not raise the min fps, since those come from the CPU (System). When testing I had CPU-frametimes of ~10-15ms in light load but up to 50ms in heavy load like MP or missions with lots of units. In such a case the strong GPU wont help nothing.

But with the new RTX one can probably use higher SS to get finally rid of those terrible jaggies (aliasing, shimmering).

Anyway, Im waiting for RDNA2, which should be competitive in the 3070 and 3080-case (not 3090 though). My 2070S with 225W is already heating up my small office-room quite a bit and going to something like 320W (with the 3080, which would be the logical step for me for the upcoming Reverb G2) would be too much. But RDNA2 should be more energy-efficient, if leakers are correct.