RAZBAM's English Electric Lightning - A request

Southernbear

On 3/7/2021 at 4:59 PM, TLTeo said:

Clarified that fix for ya 😛 honestly, just assume RB have not announced nor planned any module beyond the Mirage, Harrier and Farmer until those things actually show up in the DCS shop. Before that moment, it's all PR and no substance. They have "announced" far, FAR more modules than ED themselves while their company is a tiny fraction of ED's size.

Wot? No Vulcan, Valiant, and Victor?

• Like 1

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

• 2 weeks later...

Having seen my first Lightning Take Off back in '69 in Singapore and the last Lightning Sortie from Binbrook in '88, I can't wait for this Module. I've seen them in mock dogfights with Drakens, F18's, F16's, F15's, F5's, F4's, G91's.   I really hope they get the sound of the Avons right, there is no other sound like a LIGHTNING in full military power at low level. A pair of   Lightnings versus most modern aircraft, close in and the adversary would be dogmeat! 

If there could be an update on this Module's release, that would be helpful.  

Edited by Kiwi 1
  • Like 3

As a cadet I got to sit in a Lightning cockpit while they ran through the controls and instruments for me ... if only it had the rest of the fuselage and engines behind the cockpit 😄

• Like 2

Clan Cameron

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I see that a load more documents have been released about the Redtop missile on the English Electric Lightning Appreciation Group on Facebook.

Also that Ian Black is putting out a vol 3 to his Lightning books, this one is more of a manual, he was preparing one for Haynes but they cancelled it and he is now releasing it through his own bookstore:

New Book – Pre Order – Firestreak Books

Grandson with Ian's Lightning Vol.1

hu9UMJY.jpg

Edited by Alicatt
  • Like 1

Clan Cameron

• 2 weeks later...

any idea what the sustained rate was with a lightning? im guessing the speed would be high. as for 1 circle iv seen a video of 1 coming over an af fast and doing a 180 VERY VERY quickly! but it dumped alot of energy to do it 

start it at 5:30 and a multiple vertical take off at 11:10

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

At 39,000lbs, 2 Redtop missiles, 450kts/0.87M, it takes 3.1 minutes to climb from sea level to 36,000ft without afterburner, uses 930lbs fuel and covers a distance of 30nm.

With re-heat, no missiles, 38,300lbs, from 2,000ft to 30,000ft takes 1.3minutes and uses 905lbs fuel covering a distance of 10.2nm

Taken from the F-6 operational Data Manual.

Edit: Charts to go with the above

FK07AbR.jpg

ugVSZOJ.jpg

yrxSoI0.jpg

One of the things it says in the manual for the F-6 is to deduct 10% in time and fuel use for use with the Avon 302 engine that was fitted to the export version of the Lightning (F-53 F-55)

Edited by Alicatt

Clan Cameron

Hey guys,

Just to be clear, while we would like to do an EEL, we don't have the manpower to work on it right now with our other active projects.

This is the case with all other aircraft that we showed screenshots of except the F-15E and MiG-23 that are in active development and the Super-Tucano where background work is ongoing.

Once our released and active development modules are complete, we will work on other projects.

Hope it clears our intentions a bit, sorry if there was any misunderstanding regarding the status of the EEL at Razbam.

Edited by myHelljumper
  • Thanks 3

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 2:09 PM, myHelljumper said:

Hey guys,

Just to be clear, while we would like to do an EEL, we don't have the manpower to work on it right now with our other active projects.

This is the case with all other aircraft that we showed screenshots of except the F-15E and MiG-23 that are in active development and the Super-Tucano where background work is ongoing.

Once our released and active development modules are complete, we will work on other projects.

Hope it clears our intentions a bit, sorry if there was any misunderstanding regarding the status of the EEL at Razbam.

who do i have to bribve/sleep with/blackmail to get the lightning bumped up the priority list?

i know 1 of the south african lightnings did brakes off to 30k feet in 1 min 42 seconds

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

On 10/15/2021 at 5:48 PM, eatthis said:

who do i have to bribve/sleep with/blackmail to get the lightning bumped up the priority list?

I can guess when it comes to those old airframes all they need is enough public interest to make it a module.

• Like 1

Eh... I think that's true to a degree, but a dev still needs to have lots of relevant documentation that they have permission to actually use (not just a random PDF download), license agreement and other items too. But yea, with enough public interest, I think it's generally an acheivable goal for a single seater that's 50 years old!

On 9/23/2021 at 2:09 PM, myHelljumper said:

Hey guys,

Candid reply much appreciated…

… but kind of sums up Razbam’s PR / community engagement challenge.

Effort clearly went in to the Lightning 3D model, arguably diverting efforts from other projects (?) and certainly fuels the speculation of “show loads, complete none”

Hope to be proven wrong and that S Atlantic is close (ish) to release…

Zero interest in the 15E.
Flogger and Tucano would be potential purchases… but why on Earth push the S Atlantic assets so far down the programme? Sea Harrier FRS1 is essential for Falklands🙄

• Like 2

3 hours ago, myHelljumper said:

Nothing was diverted on the EEL from other projects.

The important thing here is not whether or how much was diverted though, but rather the community's perception that it was. Especially given past experiences (e.g. ED claiming that the Viper and Hornet teams would always be entirely independent, and that development of one would not hinder the other) I don't think there is any way for that perception to go away.

I think most of the time, the models are not made by the same people that program systems functions, or flight dynamics behaviors. And I think there is generally a lot more people who can make a really good model, than who can do systems or dynamics... so it's not that much surprise to me that models get shown. 

I think this is why we are seeing more talk from several devs about them making some AI assets... but truth be told, I really want the flyables!

These modern flying mainframes must be difficult to program, as when you put out a new release, it sometimes "breaks" a different function that had been working well for months or years, and now the debugging begins... just look at the Hornet for instance!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 10:48 PM, Alicatt said:

I see that a load more documents have been released about the Redtop missile on the English Electric Lightning Appreciation Group on Facebook.

Also that Ian Black is putting out a vol 3 to his Lightning books, this one is more of a manual, he was preparing one for Haynes but they cancelled it and he is now releasing it through his own bookstore:

New Book – Pre Order – Firestreak Books

Grandson with Ian's Lightning Vol.

Ian's new book arrived this morning 🙂 great information and fantastic photographs

w5u4fzX.jpg

6lS06MW.jpg

Edited by Alicatt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Clan Cameron