Performance plummets after some time

Qiou87

TL;DR - Problem solved: turns out my memory page file was limited to 5GB by Win10 (automatically set). I manually changed it to 16-32GB and now the stutter is gone in SP and MP.

Hi guys,

I have seen a strange behaviour and wanted to see if the community might help. I play the last stable release, in VR (Rift S). Usually I get smooth performance. For the past 2 weeks I have had 3 instances where I needed to restart the game after some time due to enormous stuttering (I go from 40+FPS to what feels like 5-10fps at the most).

First time was a solo mission. I was checking other AI aircraft using F2 whilst cruising for 100nm, and suddenly the game started to stutter a lot. Had to quit the mission.

Other times were in multiplayer, I played for an hour, got shot down, respawned and switched my Hornet to a Viper. After that point it was again a stutterfest from the moment the game put me in the cockpit. I was playing with a friend who confirmed it was not on the server-side (his gaming was smooth).

I checked the Windows performance manager in both instances: CPU @25% usage with small spikes on some cores but no apparent bottlenecks, GPU @100% and especially GPU memory @100%, system memory @24/32GB.

I recently upgraded my graphics drivers due to the release of MSFS (452.06, I only use WHQL drivers and not beta releases). My thinking is this problem could be caused by the game loading more and more textures (as I was loading all the AI planes, or loading in the new plane when respawning) but not clearing the unused ones from VRAM. Therefore with Vram saturated, it starts to try to transfer to system RAM and stutters like hell. But this is completely new behaviour, it was not happening a few weeks ago.

I might just revert back to the older version of drivers to check if it is indeed the culprit, but I wanted to check in and see if you had other ideas.

System spec: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz, RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB, game running on Crucial P1 SSD, Oculus Rift S

Edited by Qiou87

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

Salut Qiou! :)

I've been helping some other guys with a lot of stutters recently. For one of them, the issue was caused by an external software (MSI Dragon Center - if you're using this one with DCS, well don't). We have yet to determine what causes the stutters for the two others.

My prefered method to detect the influence of an external software is to run the game in Windows safe mode, but you will only be able to fly an S-25T or TF-51D in SP. I'm not sure you're ready for this, since your stutters only come after an hour of playing DCS or so. Maybe we can avoid this.

I need two things from you: your latest dcs.log file and a list of all your running processes (here's how to make one). You can attach your files using the "Manage Attachments" button of the "Go Advanced" menu below.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Thank you. I see nothing to worrry about in your dcs.log.

I've just finished reviewing your process list.

Orange = processes I strongly suspect

White = proceses I mildly suspect

Blue = useful processes we shouldn't worry about at the moment

Green = quite useful processes (though I don't have light green ones on my side)

image.png

Now, I'd like you to kill those orange processes, one by one. After each killing, run DCS and see if it's any better. Then let us know how things are doing.

My biggest suspect is Rocket Dock. You should start with this one.

If one of these processes keep restarting, you need to locate it in "services.msc" and command it to stop. Have fun! :detective:

Edited by Flappie

I actually kill RocketDock when I launch DCS (because it interferes when I click in the cockpit). And I just uninstalled Novabench, I had no idea I had it installed and that it was running 24/7 in the background.

What I probably need is actually to generate this stutter somehow (happened tonight again, after flying the Hornet 30min then respawn in a Viper). Once it is stuttering, the only way to normally make it stop is exit DCS. I will try to kill those processes... Let's see. Thanks for your help.

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

I actually kill RocketDock when I launch DCS (because it interferes when I click in the cockpit). And I just uninstalled Novabench, I had no idea I had it installed and that it was running 24/7 in the background.

What I probably need is actually to generate this stutter somehow (happened tonight again, after flying the Hornet 30min then respawn in a Viper). Once it is stuttering, the only way to normally make it stop is exit DCS. I will try to kill those processes... Let's see. Thanks for your help.

When you get it to stutter, press Rctrl + Pause twice and take screenshot. Take a look at the simulations number. I'm pretty sure it'll be really high.

Hey Qiou. I've reviewed your process list a second time.

Among other things, I've turned this "Steam wallpaper app" (in fact Wallpaper Enine) into orange. I think it has some potential to mess with DCS. Please consider this new shortlist instead of the previous one.

image.png

If killing these processes doesn't change a thing, you might want to consider using this Powershell command, which disable apps prelaunching into memory:

Disable-MMAgent -ApplicationPreLaunch

You can reactivate it whenever you want, like this:

Enable-MMAgent -ApplicationPreLaunch

(doc)

I also suspect a VRAM problem more than anything else. My 2080ti's 11GB get filled up in MP very quickly after switching to different modules. There seems to be no efficient cleanup process for unused textures and geometry. When i get a 3090 i will see what's really going on there, will DCS eat up all the 24 GB? :joystick:

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

@Alec: I don't have any stutters nor FPS drops in current OB, and my rig is way less powerful than yours (Ryzen 2700X, 1080Ti, 32GB of RAM). I think you have a software conflict issue and I don't think buying more powerful hardware will fix it.

If you also experiment stutters, please create a new thread and I'll be happy to help.

The thread starter described exactly a problem that seems only to occur in VR in multiplayer sessions. After a while something unknown triggers a performance hit that stays forever and needs a restart or goes away sometimes after a while (5 or more minutes). There is no external process involved, but it might be provoked through loading several different DCS modules during a session.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

@Qiou: Have you already tried to play without VR and see if still have those stutters and FPS drops? I know it's hard to get back to a simple screen but for the sake of the testing, it would be good to know if your issue is VR specific.

Edited by Flappie

Playing without VR? Are you mad? :)

So tonight I experimented some more. First in solo, loaded 4 different modules at 4 different airports in succession in the same mission - no issue at all, butter smooth framerate.

Then I went back to multiplayer, same server I had problems in the last 2 days. Sure, after 30min in the Hornet, the Viper gave me very bad FPS and especially stutter like last times. I took the screenshot attached.

I killed nordvpn service, after that it was not so bad. I mean I still got 20fps around the airport, then 40fps when airborne, but it was stable FPS. With reproduction it didn't feel bad actually.

I had a look at FPS when it is stuttering ; I get between 16 and 2 fps, depending how much I move my head apparently. If I don't move, around 15-20. As soon as I move my head, it gets very bad.

I will try to block nordvpn service to start next time and see if that's the source of my problems, or if just alt-tabing out of the game, taking a screenshot and stuff had some magical effect on the game.

Capture.thumb.JPG.7e611e6027a579d97e71db87da330277.JPG

17.9 for Simulation... What is that number when you have smooth frame rate?

My experience is that Simulation number accumulates as Mission goes on. And rarely comes back down. And starts to stutter above 3.0 for me. It also happens in single player. It's more severe on target rich mission with lots of AI and of course, multiplayer where more RAM is required. Yes, I suspect memory leak too.

Edited by Taz1004

Thanks for your input, I will check this tonight hopefully. It definitely also happens in solo, but after a while and in a very very dense mission (if you have played it, you know DCS Liberation can generate those).

If it is a memory leak, I guess the next step for me is to try the previous nVidia driver. I never noticed it before the last update.

I've seen some serious issues with players flying DCS Liberation missions recently. In the logs, we could see carrier crew members keeping spawning during the whole mission until there were too many units ingame.

Do you have such perf issues when we play our usual Tuesday missions, Qiou? (mine or Empnicolas's)

No, I never had these issues before, but during our usual missions I stick to the same aircraft for the whole evening.

It happened once in a Liberation mission (I played probably 30 or 40 sorties in the last month and a half using this software), in which I just flew one module. I understanding it is in development and didn't worry about it. It is only when the same stuttering happened in a repeatable way, when playing the 4YA servers (PvE dynamic mission) that I opened this thread.

One thing I should also check is if it is Viper specific. In all those MP missions I flew something else, then changed to the Viper because it's the one I prefer to fly even if loadout is limited. Each of these stutters happen when I am in the Viper, I should see if doing the same (fly Hornet first, switch to another plane after 30min) in a Mirage will trigger the same stutter.

Yesterday once the stutter was gone (after killing nordvpn service and taking a screenshot to post here), I spawned in 3 different modules in the same server (Viper, then UH-1H, then F5-E) without any stutter returning.

It is not. I still have the issue, NordVPN is not running as a service in the background.

I tried Hornet (30min) to Viper = still stutter. Quit server then rejoin = still stutter. Quit game then restart & rejoin = smooth.

Then I tried Viper (20min) to Hornet = stutter as well.

Next is to revert back to previous WHQL driver I guess.

Qiou87, allow me to pitch in as a VR user. But don't be distracted from Flappie advisory because he's quite precise with his predictions.

In the past with my own experience of Apple & Adobe software integrations I've had some negative impact on the smoothness how my games runs. These can sometimes do background sync against Apple & Adobe cloud services, adding to the processing you need to have available for VR.

Perhaps you could try to make a new profile in the msconfig, where you do the 'hide all Microsoft services' and then go through the list and uncheck all other Adobe/apple service. After that reboot and retry and see how it runs.

Usually when I troubleshoot these things myself I do just that, allowing Microsoft services to remain while getting rid of all other 3rd parties that may add to the already tight processing-schedule you need for VR.

DCS does have some issues, the performance drop the longer you run it and how complex the maps are. It's just the nature of the complex beast this sim is. But I've been able to postpone my issues with optimizations (getting rid of bloatware), quite often I can run it for 6-8 hours before I have to do a restart of the sim. Earlier I was limited to an hour or so.

I hope these hints can provide some wisdom. Good luck.

Edited by Panzertard

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

I might just try your advise. I have been wary over rolling back to a previous driver due to FS, even if I am growing tired of it (still playing DCS every chance I get).

Thanks!

Stutter happens when you run out of RAM. Why it runs out of RAM is the question. It could be that you don't have enough, external Windows processes, complex mission, of course VR and Multiplayer would eat up more RAM... but it is also apparent that DCS has memory leak. It is not "normal" for RAM to accumulate as mission progress and change module. Completed tasks should be released.

But then again, every software has memory leak. Even Windows require reboot at some point.

The thing is, I apparently run out of video memory, not system. System ram sits at a stable 22/24gb when I play, even when it stutters like crazy. But vram is maxed out, or at least that’s what the performance manager is telling me. Why it doesn’t get cleared, for example when I exit the server then join again (I still have stutter once I rejoin) is indeed the question.

I agree 100% with Panzertard. Adobe Software is the next suspect on the list. Qiou, you should give it a go: you can disable all Adobe services at startup using msconfig. Don't worry, you'll still be able to enable them whenever you want.

Then reboot the PC, and try a long play.