Who auto starts their aircraft

CBenson89

I always autostart and never manual start

not afraid of a manual start but it has its place in getting things going for realism. Most of the time I use auto, saves time.... i'd rather get my flying time in with auto than manual. It makes an unfortunate event not as painful.

If one doesn't experience fun from something, it doesn't mean they hate it.

Antonym to word "Fun" is "Boredom" and "Misery" etc.

Antonym to word "Hate" is "Liking", "Love", "Delight" etc.

One can do their job where part of the job is not fun, but it is not generating any negative emotions or feelings at all, if not even the positive either.

Like a writer doesn't love typing the keyboard even if they would have fun and love the text they are producing by typing the keyboard.

We're all different. Boredom for one person might be a neutral emotion. Another person might loathe it and will do anything to avoid it. I fall in the latter group. Fortunately, it takes a lot for me to be bored.

Buzz

Most of the time I use auto, saves time....

As I said in my previous thread; "fun fact", it actually doesn't (at least not in the Hornet)

Auto start, although quickly, runs through all kind of unnessecary checks. If you want to get up there quickly, you can better start manually (or hot, obviously)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

... cold starts are intensely boring in the real world and doubly so in a "simulator". They are a necessity in the real world and a pointless waste of time in a simulator.

I take auto starts a step further and rewrite them in order to remove all the pointless system checks and add all the necessary but intensely repetitive switch flipping post start. I also compress the time intervals as much as possible in the auto start macros.

It is super nice to press one button and a few seconds to a few minutes later (module dependent) have a combat ready aircraft to fly.

You must teach me this sorcery :lol:

Indeed!

I need to figure this out. Some modules, like the Harrier, really need to have their auto start procedures trimmed down.

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

Indeed!

I need to figure this out. Some modules, like the Harrier, really need to have their auto start procedures trimmed down.

Well, if nothing else is going on (you just want to get the jet started) you can accelerate time and it all gets done really quickly, regardless of how much switch-throwing there is.

I'll usually base it on how much I need to do. If there's some weapon or waypoint programming I want to do, I'll ususally zip-time up to the part where the inertials are aligning (we're talking the Hornet now), and then go back to 'normal' time and do my button punching while the inertials are spooling up. Unless I know I have a long transit and can do all that stuff in the air.

Ya, I CTRL-Z all the time too. However you can miss out on dialog and other info when doing that sometimes.

I figure auto start exists to reduce monotony and facilitate getting up into the air. So it seems a little silly to me for it to do the maximum number of startup steps, when many are just going through the motions without any in game significance.

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

Pretty much always cold start, the only time I don't is if I want to quickly practice or test something.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Ya, I CTRL-Z all the time too. However you can miss out on dialog and other info when doing that sometimes.

I figure auto start exists to reduce monotony and facilitate getting up into the air. So it seems a little silly to me for it to do the maximum number of startup steps, when many are just going through the motions without any in game significance.

Autostart exists for the same reason game mode exists.

Buzz

I have a full-time job, cook and clean for myself, and regularly go to the gym and enjoy other hobbies. During the work season there just isn't time for "proper" starts, so I either do an auto start or a hot ramp start most of the time.

During vacation periods when I have more free time I'll do full cold starts.

The argument against auto starts or hot starts purely boils down to gate-keeping arrogance, i.e. "I'm better than those auto start plebs." Same with the sim vs. game argument. Are you using this simulator to train to real life? No? Then it technically isn't a simulator in the true sense, especially when you consider that "simulator" could apply to DCS, Xplane, P3D, FS2020, yet the difference in fidelity among these titles is quite large.

Exactly this. Its the same case for me.

On a regular day, if the job, the girlfriend or other daily stuffs allows, i have time for a 20 min multiplayer session where i want to go to the air as fast as possible, and if it i take a jet i dont master, i need to check the procedure cause i may forgot some crucial step. So those days the autostart is very important to me.

On holidays with 8 hours playtime ahead i love to enjoy the startup with no help.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

Unless I am testing stuff in the mission editor, I always do a full start because why would I not do so after paying a significant amount of money for the ability to do so. Additionally. I find doing autostarts and the like really boring. It is just more interesting to learn the start-up procedure and do it.

Unless I am testing stuff in the mission editor, I always do a full start because why would I not do so after paying a significant amount of money for the ability to do so. Additionally. I find doing autostarts and the like really boring. It is just more interesting to learn the start-up procedure and do it.
I've learned to make the autostsrt time my coffee and take a leak time

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

If too many people use these cheats, why should ED spend the resources to make such high fidelity systems?

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

If too many people use these cheats, why should ED spend the resources to make such high fidelity systems?

Why should ED spend resources to make the MAC when there are not enough people using these cheats?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Always auto-start, and then accelerate time so it's done in a minute or so.

As I've stated elsewhere, I fly for a living. DCS, for all it's 'realism', is a game, and I play games for enjoyment. For me personally, sitting for 20-30 minutes running through checklists, startup, systems checks, bit checks, etc is not a 'fun' thing to do. So I don't do it, and am thankful for the option not to. If manual starting was a requirement for the game, I wouldn't play it.

For most missions, I'm happiest starting on the catapult, ready to salute and go with minimal pre-launch hassle.

This, so many times this!

It seems to be a common sentiment amongst those of us who fly for a living. Perhaps it’s also an ego thing, there are a (very small vocal) minority of players on here who seem to think you aren’t worthwhile if you can’t do it. I fly military aircraft for a living, so BIT testing MAWS systems, hydraulic and light checks, all of that are the norm for me, I don’t need to prove to myself or anyone else that I can do it because I’ve already convinced the RCAF that I can! I just play DCS for fun, and like the realistic FMs and weapons employment. I play it to do stuff I don’t get to do (very often at least) in real life.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Which is it then, a sim or a game??

Both.

Because neither in any way affects the other.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Why should ED spend resources to make the MAC when there are not enough people using these cheats?

I’m being sarcastic... but if nobody is going to use all these complex commands and features why should ED put effort towards it?

I think the cheats should be removed from the full fidelity aircraft once MAC launches.

It’s disappointing to buy a DLC campaign for this only to find out it features arcade game hot starts.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Well, if nothing else is going on (you just want to get the jet started) you can accelerate time and it all gets done really quickly, regardless of how much switch-throwing there is.

I'll usually base it on how much I need to do. If there's some weapon or waypoint programming I want to do, I'll ususally zip-time up to the part where the inertials are aligning (we're talking the Hornet now), and then go back to 'normal' time and do my button punching while the inertials are spooling up. Unless I know I have a long transit and can do all that stuff in the air.

Time acceleration is not available in MP.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

You must teach me this sorcery :lol:

There is, indeed, a bit of sorcery or detective work involved. There does not seem to be a standardized way of doing the macros across modules so you have to figure each one out individually.

PM me if you are interested and if its a module I have already done I will gladly share.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg