Who auto starts their aircraft

CBenson89

Manual start up on all Helicopters every time.... it is faster.

Auto start on planes.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

“There are two methods you can use to start a cold and dark Hornet. The first, and easiest, is the Auto- Start. By pressing [Left Win + Home], the aircraft will be started automatically for you. To cease the Auto-Start, you can press [Left Win + End].

Being a DCS title though, the Hornet really shines when you take advantage of the detailed systems modeling, like manually starting the aircraft.” :thumbup:

If I used Auto Start I’d feel like I was wasting my $

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I know this is gonna be contentious but who here uses auto start? I literally never use it for any aircraft because I feel like it defeats the purpose of playing a game like this. If I want to auto start I’ll go play arma or ace combat or something. I love bringing the jet and it’s systems to life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I now, uses autostart, for a few resons.

1st once in a while i'm out the sim for a while, so it's a pain to relearn.

2nd i don't wanna waste my time learning start up procedure on a early access module that constantly evolve and has sometimes starting procedures changed and need relearn.

3rd, i'm having bad memory now, so not only learning the systems of each aircraft is something, then learning startup for the 3 aircrafts i mainly only fly now, the Hornet, Viper and Tomcat would be too much asking for my brain, and 4th, sometimes i only have a few moments to fly, so i rather let the autostart do his thing as i can do other things and waiting.

Not to mention the many times on public servers like Aerobatics Online, i wasted my time starting up manualy the thing, than some stupid brainless person end up crashing on top of me or in front of the runway as i roll while trying to do his damn aerobatics over people without total control of his aircraft and thinking he's impressive, leading to a need to restart the bird because of some idiot. Now i'm laysy. :)

After all, when playing a racing game/sim, do i waste my time starting the car or i simply race? ;)

Edited by Doum76

Doum............I start the car if it's featured. It's only one button.

Don’t forget to have the clutch in, if you’re hardcore...

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Doum............I start the car if it's featured. It's only one button.

I don't even have a start button. My car is always ON and ready. :music_whistling:

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Always auto start. I don’t have the time to remember how to start up all the modules I have.

With only 4 choppers in DCS.... it is easy to remember.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I like how people think the autostart is faster. It's not. Manual starts is how you cut down the time you waste, its not authentic, you can skip so much stuff.

Knowing the start processes for all the modules isn't something to be proud of, its knowing them and forgetting useful work related stuff and remembering trivial game related nonsense that really is annoying. I can still remmember the timing of the jumps in Manic Miner back in 1984 on my Commodore 64. It's not impressive. It's weird and useless.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I like how people think the autostart is faster. It's not. Manual starts is how you cut down the time you waste, its not authentic, you can skip so much stuff.

Knowing the start processes for all the modules isn't something to be proud of, its knowing them and forgetting useful work related stuff and remembering trivial game related nonsense that really is annoying. I can still remmember the timing of the jumps in Manic Miner back in 1984 on my Commodore 64. It's not impressive. It's weird and useless.

Let me clarify for myself and others who either sometimes, or always, use auto-start. It saves time for me because I'm in my 30s and I just don't have the brain capacity, or time to improve my brain capacity, to be able to fit in the manual start procedures for all the modules I've bought. I just can't remember all of it all the time. I have to focus on a few aircraft.

I'm pretty confident that when other people say they don't have the time, they're mostly talking about "the time to learn and fully commit to memory" the manual start features for ALL the full fidelity aircraft they buy.

I can start a huey probably with my eyes closed. I can start the mirage, ignoring the INS alignment, pretty easily. I can start the 109. The rest? No. Why? Because I don't fly them enough to remember, and I'm not going to spend an excessive amount of time working on the manual start procedure when I'm not committed to learning and committing to memory all of these aircraft.

When I bought the F-14 I thought I was sticking with just it. So I learned most of that jet, but then I got the F-18 and thought it was a far better and far more realistic module. So I stopped working the tomcat and committed to the F-18. But then I felt like the jet was underpowered and not accurately modeled, and that in general it was too sterile, too boring to fly. So I got the mirage. While I'm focused completely on the mirage, all the stuff I learned about start procedures slip from memory on the other jets. :doh: I can't fly all of these jets FULL time and keep the most BORING part of their simulation memorized. Why is it hard for everyone to understand that people are different and use the product differently?

And goodness sake, you have actual pilots in here telling you that in real life sims they skip the start up procedure. And these real life pilots are skipping the start up procedure in DCS! Lol. That doesn't mean we , as a customer base, don't expect ED and 3rd party to model the start procedure. I expect the systems in these $80-100 aircraft to be near fully modeled. But I'm not going to use every feature of this sim 100% of the time.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Don’t forget to have the clutch in, if you’re hardcore...

My car won't start if the clutch isn't in. Rented a car in France last year; they asked when I drove a manual last and seemed surprised when I told them 48 hours. Apparently Americans don't use those anymore, since I've gotten that question in quite a few countries.

ALWAYS manually start the jet. If it's not a manual start I hot-run it in the mission. If it's MP I get my head wrapped around what I want to do before I start burning dinosaurs and spend the warm up time getting everything set.

The overwhelming number of modules is a huge factor for many people. I own everything except the JF-17, so I understand those that can't or won't bother to learn startup procedures. I think the auto start button should always be available: it has no direct affect on combat results, so why be a snob about it because other people don't feel the same way?

Personally, I enjoy attaining the level of knowledge required to understand what most of the controls and indications do in the cockpits. I owned the flight manuals for most US jet fighters from the F-86 to the F/A-18 and some MiGs before I ever got into DCS World. So, having the option to use real flight manuals for PC flight simulation has been great for me. I almost never use auto start. I perform manual startups to first learn, then maintain proficiency in an aircraft.

If I fly a particular module often, the start procedure does get "burned in". The modules I fly so frequently from a cold start and/or have such obvious controls and procedures that I can start them fast and reflexively (i.e. without even thinking about it): F-86, MiG-15, MiG-21, F-5, F/A-18, and if user mods count, A-4E-C. Of course, I may still miss something if I am in a hurry, such as turning on the oxygen.

Some modules I can start without too much effort or practice because I have flown them a lot and the procedure isn't too hard to figure out just browsing the cockpit control panels: P-51, Bf109, Fw190s, P-47, Spitfire, Christen Eagle, Yak-52.

But some modules have such long, detailed startup procedures that if you don't fly them for any length of time, I will forget a lot of the trivial steps, and sometimes not so trivial steps. The modules I may need to practice once or twice before being able to complete a proper startup because the procedure may be long and/or difficult or I simply don't fly from a cold start often enough to retain the procedure: AJS-37, F-14B, UH-1, I-16, MiG-19, AV-8B

I never enjoyed really got proficient at starting up the F-16 in some other sim that will not be named and still haven't got the knack of it in DCS World. For some reason, I find the F-16 more difficult to retain than the F/A-18. Probably because I don't like it as much or fly it as often. The ones I can start reflexively, are both easy for me to remember and flown a lot.

Aside from the UH-1, I almost never perform startup for the other helicopters in manual or using auto start, so I have "no opinion" about starting them up. I did work on learning the Mi-8 a long time ago and found it to be harder than the UH-1 because it was both more complex and designed for multi-crew control layout. But I don't think the Mi-8 quite rates my final category below.

The module I almost never fly and hate to startup: A-10C.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My car won't start if the clutch isn't in. Rented a car in France last year; they asked when I drove a manual last and seemed surprised when I told them 48 hours. Apparently Americans don't use those anymore, since I've gotten that question in quite a few countries.

Only the lazy ones. I've never owned a car with an auto trans.

It would be like auto startring a plane. :D

Buzz

According to Streakeagle i'm a snob. Let's see. I'm a three time snob.

I hunt for bear and elk with an old flintlock because I enjoy it. I'm a snob for not using a modern muzzleloader with modern bullets and substitute black powder. I prefer real black powder and a round ball.

I'm also an avid fly fisherman. I only use bamboo rods, real silk lines, and just fish dry flies. Yes, because that's what I enjoy the most.

Now, I appear to be a snob in a damn video game because I like to do manual starts.

I appear to be a 3 time loser. Although I feel it's a 3 time winner because I don't care at all what others do or think about what I do.

Some guys need to stop putting labels on people and mind their own business.

Buzz

Only the lazy ones. I've never owned a car with an auto trans.

It would be like auto startring a plane. :D

Not to get too far off topic, I've never understood this mentality. I learned on a manual and drove manuals for years. I hate them. It was never enjoyable. Sure BITD when auto tranny's sucked and any performance car worth it's salt had a manual, I could see it. But auto tranny's now are SOOOOO much better than anything manual. Both in terms of pure pleasure to drive, especially in stop n go traffic, but also auto tranny's blow away manuals in both top end consumer sports and pro race cars. I have one word for you: PDK. Ok, actually that's three, but who's counting.

And for that reason, I almost always hot start in SP and auto-start in MP. Auto-starting gives me a minute to have the rest of my gin & tonic while the INS is aligning. :D

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Not to get too far off topic, I've never understood this mentality. I learned on a manual and drove manuals for years. I hate them. It was never enjoyable. Sure BITD when auto tranny's sucked and any performance car worth it's salt had a manual, I could see it. But auto tranny's now are SOOOOO much better than anything manual. Both in terms of pure pleasure to drive, especially in stop n go traffic, but also auto tranny's blow away manuals in both top end consumer sports and pro race cars. I have one word for you: PDK. Ok, actually that's three, but who's counting.

And for that reason, I almost always hot start in SP and auto-start in MP. Auto-starting gives me a minute to have the rest of my gin & tonic while the INS is aligning. :D

We're all different. I drove an 18 wheeler for a living for 30 years. It had an 18 speed tranny. I loved driving it. I road raced cars for decades. All manuals. I now drive a lifted Jeep Wrangler as my fishing and hunting vehicle. Manual of course.

I like to shift. :)

Buzz

Some guys need to stop putting labels on people and mind their own business.

Quite. That's why all this repeated business of removing features from the game or arguing against options to make it more inclusive, just because those features don't fit someone's particular playstyle, are fundamentally…

…ehm

[very bad label] :D

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Quite. That's why all this repeated business of removing features from the game or arguing against options to make it more inclusive, just because those features don't fit someone's particular playstyle, are fundamentally…

…ehm

[very bad label] :D

Yeah, it gets old sometimes. Everybody can fly the way they want. Let's just leave it there.

Buzz

According to Streakeagle i'm a snob.

If you look down on other people for not playing a video game with the same options you prefer, is that not being a snob? If you aren't belittling people for having a simple gaming preference, then I am not calling you a snob. The auto start option is there to be used and it shouldn't be a stigma of any kind to use it.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you look down on other people for not playing a video game with the same options you prefer, is that not being a snob? If you aren't belittling people for having a simple gaming preference, then I am not calling you a snob. The auto start option is there to be used and it shouldn't be a stigma of any kind to use it.

The snob label can go in both directions. Some feel a need to say it and I never understood why. Live and let live.

As an example. I've been standing in the middle of a river fly fishing. A stranger walks by who I never talked to screams at me that i'm a purists snob. Same deal with hunting when they see the flintlock.

It gets old after a lifetime of it.

Ok, i'm done here. I had my say. Let's all go fly.

Buzz

I play on a hardcore server, cannot see youself on map etc. that allows auto start. I do both and it depends, sometimes just want to make a coffee while it's starting up. Harrier just manual, auto takes forever, manual in the air under 2 min with basic loadout.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Yeah manual transmissions in the US are practically non existent, you would have to special order it on a new car. It’s awesome driving them again in the sims, it’s the only place you can now here. A younger guy in my office has only ever driven one on a sim.