Who auto starts their aircraft

CBenson89

Who auto starts their aircraft

I manually start 80% of the time because it’s way more immersive to startup and shutdown for a sortie. I also feel like I understand the aircraft allot better by learning the procedure however when I get a new module I learn the weapon system first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

Both, and it depends.

Sometimes I'm going for realism, in which case, I do everything by the book.

Other times, I just want to cut to the chase.

For instance, I created a "Dogfight Training" mission that simply starts me in the air, 20 nm hot from my opponent with us each going 350kt. Sometimes I just don't want to burn the 20 minutes starting, climbing to altitude, etc.

Simulators have some advantages over the real thing ... such as the ability to focus on specific aspects of what is being simulated, practicing under time constraints, etc. I use these advantages.

Edited by Rex

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

Yeah but if I bring up an inventory search of the largest BMW dealer in the country right near me, there are no manuals. Meaning you’d have to special order one.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Yeah but if I bring up an inventory search of the largest BMW dealer in the country right near me, there are no manuals. Meaning you’d have to special order one.

Like doing it manual.

Try a 7 second quarter @180mph with one hand on the wheel lol. Very cool.

It's a corvette with no panels. Twin turbo.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I'm not saying autos aren't more popular. I'm just saying manuals are available if you want one.

As for racing? Autos are popular in drag racing. Manuals still rule in road racing.

Buzz

I'm not saying autos aren't more popular. I'm just saying manuals are available if you want one.

As for racing? Autos are popular in drag racing. Manuals still rule in road racing.

Sure. If you want one. Back when I bought a car with a 5-speed manual, it was available right on the lot. It was a sports car. If I look at actual inventory now for even sports cars they have automatic transmissions with paddle shifters

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

People have gotten lazy. There was a time when there were no autos and nobody complained. It was part of the skills needed to get a drivers license.

You can probably tell by my using a flintlock and bamboo fly rod that I like the past more than now. I blame it on being an old fart. I'm not sure why i'm flying modern jets. My heart is in the WW2 planes.

Buzz

I do both. I depends on my mood and the mission. Probably 60% manual startup, 40% ready on the ramp. I never use auto-start.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

This weekend I bought the A-10C and spend the last two days focusing on cold starting it.

Maybe I won't be cold starting it every time but it's really good to understand the details of what is needed to start it up. Makes me better understand the interconnections between the systems.

Although I can understand auto start is used by many people, I would definitely recommend going through a cold start a couple of times so you know what is happening "under the hood".

And we'd still have these.

9529eda01227cadd05ad776c65d0ddd7.jpg

BEST IDEA YET! Shhhhikkk chicka chicka chika chika...and you can't take it with you. Need to make a call? Use a pay phone. No leashes, no tracking, no monitoring. A much nicer, simpler time when extremists couldn't find other extremists on the net and get more extreme. When learning meant books. When flight simulators meant A2FS1...

Ok, how about a hybrid model? Rotary dial phones and DCS... :thumbup::joystick:

People have gotten lazy. There was a time when there were no autos and nobody complained. It was part of the skills needed to get a drivers license.

You can probably tell by my using a flintlock and bamboo fly rod that I like the past more than now. I blame it on being an old fart. I'm not sure why i'm flying modern jets. My heart is in the WW2 planes.

Nothing wrong with being lazy. It's often confused with "efficiency. :music_whistling:

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I miss dialing the phone. :)

Good thing no one is nostalgic about the ones where you have to spin really fast to get operator first.

But back on topic, it's fun to manual start at first but when you suck like me and have to restart the same mission several times, you appreciate the auto start and accelerate time.

And goodness sake, you have actual pilots in here telling you that in real life sims they skip the start up procedure. And these real life pilots are skipping the start up procedure in DCS! Lol.

I totally get why would real pilot do that in DCS. I wonder if they get that I would gladly pay to do his boring stuff for real. In the case of Tomcat there's no such possibility so I do this in DCS trying to enjoy every part there is simulated.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Ok, new rule. If you're a real fighter pilot you can skip manual starting.

Do you qualify? :)

I prefer old rule: do what you want with the module you paid for, and don't decide whether I qualify to do what I want with mine

(The limitation to this is expecting the dev to implement something unrealistic, but feel free to mod your module to your hearts content)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

No sense of humor eh?

:) = not serious

Plenty, not not all humor is the same, what one thinks is funny, another one might not.

Don't take this to mean that I find your statement bereft of humor, just that a lot of nuance doesn't communicate well in fora or other online formats, when much of our nonverbal..and many verbal ...cues don't translate well (to the effect that even the smiley could be read multiple ways)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE