Key Bindings For A10C Pilots Who Want to Fly Other Planes

melchionda

Hi Folks, I've been flying the A10C with my Thrustmaster Warthog Stick and Throttle. I am not starting to take up the F18, F16 and F14. (Not sure which one I will focus on yet).

What I was hoping to do was to bind similar functions in those other planes to the analogous function in the A10C/Thrustmaster Stick and Throttle switches and buttons. So for instance in the A10C we use the collie hat to move between the various MFD and their respective functions. I was hoping to find the analogous functions in the F14, F16, F18 and map that same function to the collie hat on my Wartog throttle.

Has anyone already done something similar for any of those planes?

Sean

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K  -  GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3090 OC Edition  - Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula Motherboard  -  RAM: 64 GB HyperX  -  EK Open Loop liquid-cooling  -  PSU: FSP Hydro+ PTM 1200 Watt liquid-cooled Power Supply   -   PIMAX 8KX Headset

ThrustMaster Warthog Throttle and Stick  -  Winwing Landing and Combat Panels  -  MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

You may get frustrated in doing that. I find it easier to program the HOTAS as the real plane is laid out. The real A-10C and Viper both use the same stick, so that's easy but the throttles are different. The Hornet is all different. The Tomcat is really different and doesn't use a lot of buttons and switches on the HOTAS.

The real planes lay out the stick and throttle buttons/switches for a reason. It's best to copy it.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

while some functions are similar to the A-10c every jet is deterrent and not all are going to line up as perfectly as you wish

eg air brake will me the same

the F-18 dose not have an analog to the collie hat

i ended up binding what made sense in my head for the F18 on my TMWH some things where obvious some where not so and had to place some of the throttle controls on the stick to make it work

Yup, i know that they are different, but there is also a lot that is similar or the same.

Just interested in connecting with someone that has made an attempt at it. I've started but was looking to compare notes.

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K  -  GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3090 OC Edition  - Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula Motherboard  -  RAM: 64 GB HyperX  -  EK Open Loop liquid-cooling  -  PSU: FSP Hydro+ PTM 1200 Watt liquid-cooled Power Supply   -   PIMAX 8KX Headset

ThrustMaster Warthog Throttle and Stick  -  Winwing Landing and Combat Panels  -  MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I started with that same initial idea, but quickly came to realize that, because of the different joystick layouts in the real aircraft, it just doesn't work to map the same function to the same hat/button all the time.

I mostly stick to mimicking the real life button/HOTAS layout as closely as possible, and improvise the rest.

However, I also deviate from this course in some cases. Like there's no way in hell I'm going to map the dual stage trigger to intercom and radio in the Huey - I'm just switching airframes too often and I don't want to risk firing the gun or a missile at my wingman when I just want to talk to him in another aircraft. ;)

And then there are practical problems. For instance, the Sensor Control Switch on the Hornet has 4 positions plus push. That's a perfect fit for the TM Warthog Countermeasures Switch, even though it sits in the wrong position. The Hornet countermeasures switch sits on the throttle and only has two positions, so mapping it to the Warthog CMS makes even less sense, as 3 CMS positions would go amiss, or would be mapped to something entirely unrelated to countermeasures.

Long story short, in many cases it doesn't seem practical to map the same function to the same HOTAS hat/button, and I would rather try to do it mostly like the real aircraft does it. Works very well for me, even though I sometimes press the wrong switch. ;)