3090? 3080? AMD!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a ZOTAC 3080 Trinity arriving here tomorrow morning, it was a struggle to secure one but I did it - will be streaming with DCS World in the usual place as soon as it's plugged in and running.

P.S official driver was released this afternoon https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-game-ready-driver-456-38.434248/

Edited by Mustang

Got a ZOTAC 3080 Trinity arriving here tomorrow morning, it was a struggle to secure one but I did it - will be streaming with DCS World in the usual place as soon as it's plugged in and running.

P.S official driver was released this afternoon https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-game-ready-driver-456-38.434248/

Well congrats. And enjoy!

What are you running currently? Any chance you can give us some before and after scores on whatever system you have once you get up and running? (What screen res are you using etc).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well congrats. And enjoy!

What are you running currently? Any chance you can give us some before and after scores on whatever system you have once you get up and running? (What screen res are you using etc).

This would be great. I am very curious how the 3080 will hit the FPS nail in DCS. Thanks in advance.

Xoxen

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

thumbup.gif And there's the other Steve ("PC Jesus"), the other go to channel for reviews.

In a nutshell, as he says at 31:27:

"As for if you should buy it...?

Don't just buy because it's better and shiny. You should buy, because (if) you actually feel your current system is no longer serving your needs.

If you can stress out a 1080Ti or 980Ti for longer, you should absolutely do it. Economically - and just because it reduces the amount of waste."

Seeing these and other reviews, it seems the RTX3080 shows considerable gains over previous generations(s), but it also seems that all its horsepower only really comes out and make sense at 4K (and VR?).

Yeah the "2x of previous generation" is RTX hyperbole.

but against my 1080ti it showed per review 80-100%, especially higher res stuff.

And for a g2 or quest 2 that could do very very nicely.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Ai ai ai....

and also...

Starting to look like a not so good launch anymore(?).

That "Moore's Law Is Dead" guy has been guessing right every single thing so far, and I think three months from now the wait'n'see crowd will be proving they were right afterall.

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

NVIDIA is learning from AMD, how to make their launches a trainwreck :D

When the miners join the party the chaos will be complete :D

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Yes Nvidia, the new AMD, totally untrustworthy and sneaky. Fake cards, fake benchmarks. Just distasteful.

But perhaps that is just the trend in the world, not only in business.

Let us have a look who will learn their lessons first.

Edited by Motomouse

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

Launch was a complete farce.

Logged on to the nvidia site "Notify me" is displayed...F5...F5...F5...."Buy now"''''''pause then sold out!

Scalpers took the lot in less than a minute... Went to Scan computers could not get on their Web site ....went to Over Clockers...same deal .

Nvidia did two Days worth of embargoes only for the Scalpers to clear out all the stock in less than a minute complete farce.

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

Juist in case anyone is intrerested this site has a poll going on how many peole managed to get hold of a 3080 today.

https://strawpoll.com/hqs53wj6j/r

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

Gamers Nexus has done some basic overclocking of the FE, TUF, FTW3, Eagle...

So far, pretty much confirming my thoughts that there isn't much left in the tank on these cards, at least under conditions that majority of the user market and even enthusiast market would run these at. Hopefully we get some modes 3rd party bios with higher Power Target/Limit.

For results best to worst : FTW3, TUF, Eagle... 3-4% performance increase... Not terribly exciting.

Edited by EightyDuce

Windows 11 | ASUS B650E-F STRIX | AMD 7800X3D | G.Skill 64Gb DDR5 6200 30-36-36-48 w/ tuned secondary/tertiary | RTX 4090 undervolted curve | MSI MPG A1000G PSU | VKB MCG Gunfighter Ultimate + Rudder Pedals + WH Throttle |  HP Reverb G2

After watching the Nvidia launch and the infos available on the next AMD GPUs for consoles there are two (related) details that will stop me from buying a Nvidia offer at launch this time.

Nvidia increases the power consumption to north of 300W. I am not concerned about the enviromental perspective here, although it is still an argument as well ;-)

Nvidia is afraid of the AMD performance, that is why the power consumption is so high.

Why is that? Nvidia is still on the Samsung 10nm chip manufactioring process although it is called 8nm. AMD uses the advanced TSMC 7nm process that already helped to turn their CPUs into a very capable competitor for Intel.

Nvidia has to increase the power consumption to keep up with AMD.

Perhaps they will still be faster a little bit, but the AMD high PC end card will be probably very attractive.

I for one can easily wait till october to confirm my thoughts. I still love my 1080Ti.

GEFORCE RTX 3080

Required System Power (W) (2) = 750

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/rtx-3080/

I already stated that I would wait until those new cards are proven but this detail means that buying one of them would cost me a lot more than the card itself.

As always, a new generation is launched with lots of hips, people rush and pay the premium, but once you look at the specs in detail you figure that you also need more of this and more of that...

750 W for a card means a completely new system for me, starting with changing a relatively new Corsair TX750M Power Unit, a new motherboard supporting newer and more powerful CPU to bound to the GPU, new RAM, more cooling power etc.

It's not gonna happen.

On the other hand, I can wait for AMD to release their next generation, simply because they are focused on lower power consumption and will price their new cards reasonably, you guys might want to read this...

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/amd-big_navi-rdna2-all-we-know

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Hard to disagree agree here with TGOG:

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Launch was a complete farce.

Logged on to the nvidia site "Notify me" is displayed...F5...F5...F5...."Buy now"''''''pause then sold out!

Scalpers took the lot in less than a minute... Went to Scan computers could not get on their Web site ....went to Over Clockers...same deal .

Nvidia did two Days worth of embargoes only for the Scalpers to clear out all the stock in less than a minute complete farce.

So I guess it wasn't a paper launch. on Gamer's nexus they talked to SIs who said they had a fair amount of inventory. It just sold out. When NewEgg, Nvidia and EVGA see record setting traffic, what can you do?

Were there scalpers? Of course. But i don't know how you can go and stop that. I guess better CAPTCHA but that's just a cat and mouse game.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

GEFORCE RTX 3080

Required System Power (W) (2) = 750

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/rtx-3080/

I already stated that I would wait until those new cards are proven but this detail means that buying one of them would cost me a lot more than the card itself.

As always, a new generation is launched with lots of hips, people rush and pay the premium, but once you look at the specs in detail you figure that you also need more of this and more of that...

750 W for a card means a completely new system for me, starting with changing a relatively new Corsair TX750M Power Unit, a new motherboard supporting newer and more powerful CPU to bound to the GPU, new RAM, more cooling power etc.

It's not gonna happen.

On the other hand, I can wait for AMD to release their next generation, simply because they are focused on lower power consumption and will price their new cards reasonably, you guys might want to read this...

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/amd-big_navi-rdna2-all-we-know

ahh so that means im lucky i future proofed myself getting a 850 watt psu back when i upgraded to the 1080.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Gigabyte is prepping two version of the 3080 Ti (Aorus and Gaming OC).

Both will have 20GB of GDDR6X.

wonder what the price will be.

Personally i think a standard aftermarket 3080 would have already more attractive with just 2 gb extra vram, for a longer term purchase. Granted i run a 1440p monitor, so i guess even 10gb would be comfortable be enough.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

ahh so that means im lucky i future proofed myself getting a 850 watt psu back when i upgraded to the 1080.

I wish that I had £1 for every time that some well meaning, but ill informed, person advised me to get a 550-600W PSU for my PC builds. Variations of "ohh, you don't need more than that for 1 CPU and 1 GPU. And there is no point of SLI anymore."

These flawed advice always ignore headroom for power hungry components, headroom for adding pumps, fans etc, headroom for overclocking. They also assume a saving of £10-20 on a PSU makes a significant difference. Frankly saving that little is peanuts in the context of a rig, so it is far more important to me to get quality components that will last through multiple rebuilds. This works out cheaper than buying multiple barely sufficient PSUs. They ignore the fact that PSUs degrade in efficiency and performance as the components age. They ignore that PSUs are at peak efficiency if you run them around half maximum rated capacity. They ignore that PSUs run quiet if you run they at low loads relative to their rating. They ignore that bigger units have nice modular cables as a rule, not an exception. They ignore that PSUs running at currents well below their peak will cope with large and sudden transients far better than PSUs running towards their limit.

In fact this last point is something that is likely to cause problems with the 3080 and 3090 Ampere launches: so much so that Asus has installed LEDs at its EPS power connectors on the GPU to signal power supply failures where transient response was not fast enough to deliver the load asked by the GPU. I am guessing that the RMA return rate is going to be quite high on Ampere and this likely being one of the reasons. (Another being the GDDR6X memory).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep.

But not every new gen card will require such an amount of power, in fact, AMD seems to be focusing on lower power consumption for equivalent performances.

#

Theoretically, it is how it should be if technology is used properly, not the other way around.

db4USHTWV8vFiavjJQ6MZk-650-80.jpg

For the time being I'll fine tune my newly upgraded PC for my future HP Reverb G2, with a new case and cooling being a priority since I intend to overclock everything including the RAM which can take it very well.

For those who are looking for a RAM upgrade, i'd recommend this.

https://uk.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/bl2k16g32c16u4b

I'll see in a couple of years if my motherboard can support the new AMD cards and CPUs, but no way I'm going to start with a new Power Unit if there are other alternatives.

They ignore the fact that PSUs degrade in efficiency and performance as the components age.

They ignore that PSUs are at peak efficiency if you run them around half maximum rated capacity.

They ignore that bigger units have nice modular cables as a rule, not an exception.

A few things to say about this:

A good quality PSU isn't going to decay that fast, and you're likely to decide to upgrade the whole PC before it becomes an issue.

This doesn't apply to good quality PSU, mine is average for this type and is just above 80% efficiency but guaranteed for 750W continuous.

My 750W Corsair have those, it replaced a cheap 750W PSU and the difference between the two is enormous.

The Corsair TX750M cost <> £95/100, if your system doesn't need more than 600W, it will last you for years, an Unit half this price will never achieve that.

A TX850 will cost you more than 32GB of DDR4 3200, an AX1200 more than a Ryzen 5 3600X, people have to manage budgets if that's not your case, and spending more on a PSU when there are other solutions (like less power hungry GPU/CPU) looks rather logical...

Here is my 600W configuration, complete with extra RAM, overclock one extra fan and SATA and I still will have the option to use the Reverb power supply.

Power.jpg

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

So I guess it wasn't a paper launch. on Gamer's nexus they talked to SIs who said they had a fair amount of inventory. It just sold out. When NewEgg, Nvidia and EVGA see record setting traffic, what can you do?

Were there scalpers? Of course. But i don't know how you can go and stop that. I guess better CAPTCHA but that's just a cat and mouse game.

One dude ended up with 45 3080 FE cards.

They actually did me a favour because now I am going to wait till AMD crank out their cards then maybe Gigabyte may release the 20Gb version.

if Nvidia does not said version then I’ll just take a standard 3080

Here is my 600W configuration, complete with extra RAM, overclock one extra fan and SATA and I still will have the option to use the Reverb power supply.

Power.jpg

With respect this is a perfect example of someone who has armed himself with an online PSU calculator and made sensible choices for a mid-range PC. Nothing wrong with that. But back to my point: upgrading to "balls to the wall" components like a 10900K overclocked and a 3080 OC or 3090 OC (we are on a thread titled "3090? 3080? AMD!" after all) will require an upgrade to the PSU. How do you do that on your 600W PSU?

• Nvidia themselves make the point about customers underestimating the impact of PSU age on PSU peak performance.

• NVidia themselves make the point about customers underestimating the importance of transient responses for PSUs. People making PSU choices based on Wattage alone expected to run into trouble.

Both of these points were made explicitly in the "deep dive Q&A" that Nvidia gave prior to Ampere's launch.

RMAs of Ampere will be higher than average for an Nvidia release.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is no reason why Ampere would have higher RMA rate than any previous generation...

If you're buying a 3080/90, you've probably done at least SOME research and know the power draw of these cards. If you know what you're getting into, it shouldn't be a surprise.

As for power supplies, just like any other component, research will serve you well. If one buys a crap power supply, then you probably won't get the efficiency, power delivery, or lifespan you would get from a quality power supply. My 4-year old 850w Seasonic is on its 2nd full system upgrade and will easily last me through the next upgrade cycle. If you're building a "balls to the wall" build, you're not buying a 500w PSU....Besides, for gaming, no reason to get a 10900k when a 10600k overclocked will perform nearly the same with close to 100w less power draw. Just because something draws a ton of power, doesn't make it the best choice for the job.

Windows 11 | ASUS B650E-F STRIX | AMD 7800X3D | G.Skill 64Gb DDR5 6200 30-36-36-48 w/ tuned secondary/tertiary | RTX 4090 undervolted curve | MSI MPG A1000G PSU | VKB MCG Gunfighter Ultimate + Rudder Pedals + WH Throttle |  HP Reverb G2

Besides, for gaming, no reason to get a 10900k when a 10600k overclocked will perform nearly the same with close to 100w less power draw.

Of course not. And I don't and never have advocated buying power hungry components for the sake of it. In fact if you check my recent posts you would find that I have been critical of Ampere for being a bit of a power hog. (Problems: noise, heat, energy bill, polar bears).

That is why I have a relatively modest i7-7800X 6 core CPU (which I bought at 50% of RRP) and overclock to 4.8GHz. I think the 10600K is a great value CPU. I see loads of people with that CPU and a mid range motherboard getting 5.0GHz overclocks. For relative peanuts. If I was buying a CPU for DCS and I didn't actually have anything already, that is what I would pick if I had to buy this week. But I would still prefer to wait a few weeks to see what Zen 3 comes up with given the clock speeds are rumoured to be reaching 4.9 boost, boost is likely to be maintained for longer, and IPC is rumoured to be improved 20% on Zen 2.

But the point is that my PSU operates in silent mode with passive cooling only. And my system is easily upgradable to ANYTHING I throw at it without having to upgrade PSU. I don't even have to think about it. It is a non issue for a component I only have to buy once where technology is moving relatively slowly. And - personal choice - I built my own custom PSU cables to correct lengths. Not changing PSU for a long time means that I can stick with my custom PSU cables without worrying about any potential compatibility problems.

Likewise I spent a lot on my case. But it means that I never have to buy another PC case. Like ever.

Someone that a year ago was sat there with an online calculator that spat out the answer 650W power supply and is now looking to upgrade to a 3080 - or heaven forbid a 3090 - is now facing the prospect of buying a new PSU as well as a new GPU. Whereas if they had only bought an 850W PSU to begin with they would only have to upgrade one component.

That is my point.

Edited by Milou

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

With respect this is a perfect example of someone who has armed himself with an online PSU calculator and made sensible choices for a mid-range PC. Nothing wrong with that. But back to my point: upgrading to "balls to the wall" components like a 10900K overclocked and a 3080 OC or 3090 OC (we are on a thread titled "3090? 3080? AMD!" after all) will require an upgrade to the PSU. How do you do that on your 600W PSU?

• Nvidia themselves make the point about customers underestimating the impact of PSU age on PSU peak performance.

• NVidia themselves make the point about customers underestimating the importance of transient responses for PSUs. People making PSU choices based on Wattage alone expected to run into trouble.

Both of these points were made explicitly in the "deep dive Q&A" that Nvidia gave prior to Ampere's launch.

RMAs of Ampere will be higher than average for an Nvidia release.

You don't read post fully before replying.

My PSU is certified for continuous 750W output, my graph is that of predicted full PC upgrade including overclock plus one more fan and one more SATA than planed = 606W.

In terms of power output, I have 150W to play with, I don't give a damned what Nvidia does, they obviously can't provide with performances without increasing power demands, which AMD does.

If they are unable to provide me with something that doesn't require a change of new PSU I'll go to AMD and it won't be the first time I swap, here is one reason: 50% gain in performance with no increase in power drain, from my PoV, that's what technology should do for us, not an increase to 750W requirement for one single GPU.

db4USHTWV8vFiavjJQ6MZk-650-80.jpg

Edited by Thinder

It comes down to how much future proofing you want to do. Are you building a system for a 1, 2, 3, or more year upgrade cycle. If you're building a budget PC with a 500-600w PSU, you're probably not the target audience for a "flagship" or high end card. If you're what the market considers and enthusiasts or overclocker, you probably have a sufficient (750w+) PSU. While some underestimate their power draw, I would argue that just as many overestimate their power draw as your hardware is hardly ever stressed to full loads (gaming).

We're getting a bit off-track but this is a good watch:

Edited by EightyDuce