Bomb Detonate in Zone trigger condition

philstyle

I've been looking at "bomb in zone" bit more. It's a very problematic trigger condition because it appears to have been built on the foundation of the "missile in zone" condition. This makes it almost completely unsuitable for WW2 - or any scenario where carpet bombing or area bombing is desired by the mission maker. The reason being is that the condition is triggered every time a bomb is within the zone - no matter what altitude the bomb is at. So, if set to "once only" the trigger will fire as soon as a bomb is inside the trigger zone - whether is explodes within that zone or not. "once only " doesn't work for any kind of area bombing target either, because the event will trigger with just one bomb.

Alternatively, if the "bomb in zone" trigger is based on a "switched condition" (which typically allows for a trigger to repeat time and time again) then a single bomb will trigger the condition again and again every second whilst it is falling through the air over the zone. So, a bomb dropped from 5k altitude will trigger the even 30 times on its way down (~30 second free fall time).

It would be great to have a bomb-in-zone type trigger that makes sense in the WW2 context is a "bomb DETONATED in zone" OR, "bomb less than 1m AGL in zone". This would allow the trigger to fire once per bomb, rather than the extant repeated counting of the same bomb every second as it free falls

A "detonation in zone" trigger would, IMO be the best solution

This would mean that an incorrectly fused weapon would not trigger the condition

• Like 3

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

This would definitely be a massive help for WW2 scenarios! :thumbup:

It would be especially for the AB250-SD2 cluster munitions. But also for registering all sorts of mission objectives for bombing. When the trigger mechanism goes off, it could also then fire other actions (mission accomplishment, secondary explosions, spawned units, etc.).

There are a lot of mission possibilities that this sort of trigger would help, being useful for a whole range of training, campaign and multiplayer scenarios.

+1 great idea :thumbup:

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 10 months later...

+1

And while we're wishing for changes to the bomb-zone triggers, it would also be neat if the trigger was tied to explosive effect rather than specific bombs — i.e. the trigger goes off if you manage to get [weight] worth of explosive to go off at the same time, or if it manages to defeat [thickness] amount of armour, but the exact method of achieving those effects is irrelevant. So you'd no longer have to construct 8 screen-heights worth of OR statements just to cover the different combinations that the player(s) might bring along, and instead it's a matter of them being precise with something small, or spending precious carrying capacity on something huge, and the game does the work to tell you if it was good enough or not.

Indeed, this would get rid of the need to have different triggers for missiles and bombs — only the detonation matters.

• Like 2

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

1 minute ago, Tippis said:

+1

And while we're wishing for changes to the bomb-zone triggers, it would also be neat if the trigger was tied to explosive effect rather than specific bombs — i.e. the trigger goes off if you manage to get [weight] worth of explosive to go off at the same time, or if it manages to defeat [thickness] amount of armour, but the exact method of achieving those effects is irrelevant. So you'd no longer have to construct 8 screen-heights worth of OR statements just to cover the different combinations that the player(s) might bring along, and instead it's a matter of them being precise with something small, or spending precious carrying capacity on something huge, and the game does the work to tell you if it was good enough or not.

Indeed, this would get rid of the need to have different triggers for missiles and bombs — only the detonation matters.

Absolutely this.

You could say the same thing about missile in zone for instance, instead of referring to specifc, individual types of missiles, it would be better if you could just differentiate by general category (i.e AAM, ASM, ARM, SSM, AShM etc).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 5 months later...
22 minutes ago, Tank50us said:

Heck, it would be nice if it could just be condensed into the various types of weapons instead of each individual weapon in the game.... because boy oh boy does that get tedious....

Yes, absolutely +1

It should facilitate any weapon in the zone, a certain general class of weapon in zone (i.e bomb, missile, gun/cannon round), a certain category of whatever class (unguided bomb, guided bomb, cluster bomb or ASM, AShM, SAM, AAM, ARM) and finally, individual weapon types, which is what we have now.

Edited by Northstar98

System:

6 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Yes, absolutely +1

It should facilitate any weapon in the zone, a certain general class of weapon in zone (i.e bomb, missile, gun/cannon round), a certain category of whatever class (unguided bomb, guided bomb, cluster bomb or ASM, AShM, SAM, AAM, ARM) and finally, individual weapon types, which is what we have now.

And also, which side launched the flippin' thing. That way you don't have Blue AShMs setting off triggers meant for Red AShMs

• Like 1

…also if zones in general were not infinite-height tubes, but rather existed as some kind of [whatever]-radius spheres.

e: I remember there was some talk a while back, before they started nibbling away at the problem with the quad zones, about adding arbitrary-shaped zones with height restrictions, which would obviously also be good, but it seems like slow going.

Edited by Tippis
  • Like 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧