VKB GNX-SEM a Sniff of а Whiff

AeroGator

A stealthy peek into the kitchen: GNX-SEM is in the oven. Baking takes time but tempting whiff ia all around. Let's see what's cooking.

file.php?id=9416&mode=view

VKB Gladiator NXT Side Extension Module aka GNX SEM can be connected to the main GNX unit on either side (or not connected at all – more below).

Getting it to work in a block with the GNX will add 24 buttons to the existing array, or 17 buttons, and 2 axes.

There will also be a version with an integrated USB controller: this will allow it to act as an independent standalone "joystick".

Needless to say that SEM itself can serve a hub to which other extension modules can be connected the same way it can be connected to the GNX. (when SEM is used as a hub we recommend attaching a rear support for extra stability).

OK, now let's actually see the thing in more detail.

Immediately catching the eye are two odd shaped K-switches.In fact those are 3-button switches with an articulated central button. VR pilots will appreciate this tactile solution (as well as intelligent design of the whole module with every control easily identifiable by the touch).

K-switches can be used as 3 regular buttons but wouldn't it be a bit of a waste. Much better would be a virtual axis setup: depressing the ends would in-/decrease the value, while the central button would return everything back to default/zero.

We use extra silent long travel buttons paired with two-color programmable LEDs (open API to control the LEDs will be supplied).

By default, the LEDs will just shed enough light to illuminate the buttons during night missions.

The second color comes in when/if the button is used as an on/off switch. Our testers reported this was actually better than standard flip switches because rather than zeroing all switches manually now you have an option of zeroing them all in one click of a single button. Of course you may teach the game to do it automatically using API.

Next… a 4-position rotary. A real gift for piston aviation fans. Others can use the rotaries as mode selectors.

A cover-protected button obviously should be assigned for some emergency action, as you don't want to press it accidentally. The cover is spring loaded: as soon as the finger is off the button, the cover is back in place.

file.php?id=9421&mode=view

Well. Now, the problem.

So many buttons… How to remember their mapping? – there are small depressions by every control. In the retail kit you will also find stickers matching those depressions. You now know what to do.

One thing is left, and this is a multifunctional axis control. But here comes the chef, and I'm chased out of the kitchen. May there be some intrigue for the time being.

OK, it all boils down to:

- Multifunctional

- Modular

- Universal

- Ergonomic

- Compact

Something that might have gone unnoticed although I did hint at it: with its ability to be a standalone device, the SEM can be put to work with any gaming device regardless the brand.

file.php?id=9418&mode=view

Now, the final touch. Or, the final touche? – RRP.

We are thinking of 50-60 bucks. I bet we deserve some tips, huhh?

Edited by UIV

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

-- wrong thread, sorry ;) --

@mods: Please delete this message

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

this year

That is good to hear.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 2 weeks later...