Public Server attendance...

EagleA25

Hey Pilots,

To tell a tale, I've been flying exclusively online the last three months and was wondering if anyone else realized that, coincidentally, over the last two weeks the quantity of players on public servers has dropped a lot, like, significantly.

I don't mean just on PvP servers like any of the 4 Growling Sidewinders, but also on PvE like ThroughTheInfierno, which all historically were packed during certain time frames with kill hungry players on a weekends. And this with an amazing new map just launched into open Beta! (Ugra did an amazing job !)

Without ANY intention to rock the boat, many of the guys are getting the sense that this might have a lot to do with the fact that MSFS2020 just came out and that the DCS community in itself becoming more and more displeased and perhaps even a little disappointed with ED's products. Microsoft stated it is very inclined to develop military elements of its product...

I am very aware that the developments of those products take up a LOT of resources and require to remain sustainable. But perhaps its the fact that open beta modules have a history of remaining years incomplete in early access, perhaps its the patches that historically provoked even bigger problems, or perhaps its the slow development work on the Vulcan project, or even perhaps it is the lack of large scale dynamic map system like in Falcon 4/BMS, which would be an amazing asset to any virtual air wing, personally I do not know...

... perhaps it is simply time for Eagle Dynamics to take note that there is now a strong competition out there and your customers are leaving...

Goodnight... and good luck... :(

PS Angry Mike is nothing but a bully!

When it comes to the public server regulars, I agree with others that this is the kind of time where some folks get a bit busy and may not be able to hang out on the servers as much. It is just how this kind of thing goes.

On the other side of things, I think it isn't exactly a great idea to use the public servers as a meaningful yardstick for player retention overall. Many players (like myself) have no desire to go on public servers and instead focus on private groups and private servers. For a lot of players, single player is also a big deal (even if such a statement is controversial in some circles).

The public server scene in DCS isn't really for everyone and will sometimes act as a pathway for players to eventually find isolated, private groups to spend their time on.

Edited by statrekmike

Myself I find the anarchy annoying, for example people trying to land no naval aircraft on my carrier or people trying to land on the super carrier without using proper atc comms.

• Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

• 1 month later...

Players are getting sick and tired of the same ole thing for the last years. They want something new, look at the 104th server, it used to be the premier server, now its gone very low pop. ED needs to pick up the pace on this new Dynamic Campaign. The reason non of these devs don't move with a purpose is that there is no competition currently. That is going to change though. ATTN ED Moderators, I am not bashing ED devs, so don't ban me

• Like 1

I for one have stopped playing in multiplayer and even my singleplayer time has dropped a lot. The game is getting worse performance with every beta release (and the bugs keep stacking up) while this can be somewhat avoided by just doing singleplayer (or staying on stable) I'm just waiting for some clear fixes and perhaps some new hardware to throw at it before I make a return to the multiplayer arena.

I don't have the new MS Flight Simulator, and I don't intend to go there until they get VR implementation.

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick.