HP Reverb & 1080Ti @ 90 FPS

Motomouse

If I want to do some aerobatics or just fly for the fun of it I set my SteamVR to 60% Render Resolution and enjoy 90 FPS awsomeness.

If anybody laughs at that resolution think twice. We are not talking about a Rift S like 1280 × 1440 resolution. 60% rendering is still 1712 x 1672 in the HP Reverb. And the Advanced Supersample Filtering in SteamVR works nice at subsampling too.

Perhaps they already tweak the software for the G2 release, I can not help the feeling that subsampling looks much better than in the past.

If you fly in a HP Reverb and never tried 60%, 70% or 80% Resolution, I heartily recommend give it a try and enjoy the full 90hz of your HMD now.

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

Good info to know, thanks for sharing.

I will be delving into the HP VR world when my Reverb G2 gets here.

I hope it is all that I have heard about.

Nice to have someone still catering to the higher end PC-VR enthusiast.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• ED Team
If I want to do some aerobatics or just fly for the fun of it I set my SteamVR to 60% Render Resolution and enjoy 90 FPS awsomeness.

If anybody laughs at that resolution think twice. We are not talking about a Rift S like 1280 × 1440 resolution. 60% rendering is still 1712 x 1672 in the HP Reverb. And the Advanced Supersample Filtering in SteamVR works nice at subsampling too.

Perhaps they already tweak the software for the G2 release, I can not help the feeling that subsampling looks much better than in the past.

If you fly in a HP Reverb and never tried 60%, 70% or 80% Resolution, I heartily recommend give it a try and enjoy the full 90hz of your HMD now.

this is good advice, thanks for sharing

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Who is afraid of half resolution?

1564 x 1528 pixels per eye

I will start with my 60 FPS beauty settings. I would recommend these for everyday usage because the 60 FPS target allows for a stunning lighting and VR experience.

(If you want to achieve the 60 FPS also in multiplayer and complex missions, make sure you uninstall tacview. (Will later test if disabling is an option too). I noticed this when both my GPU and CPU frametimes were exceptional, but still achieved lower FPS in multiplayer.)

Take a special note of the Depth of Field & Preload settings :-) (Besides quality Texture, Visib Range, Cockpit Global Illumination, MSAA and Shadow options)

I also turn on advanced supersampling in Steam VR.

60FPSVRsettings.thumb.JPG.4fcefb236e5fb286288947b8fb4d89cc.JPG

SteamVRHalfResolution.JPG.c700cbe430a7c56cb8903057a82314af.JPG

Edited by Motomouse

If you want to get an impression of the half resolution look, google for videos about the HP Reverb G2 with through the lense examples of half resolution. Not bad at all. An amazing VR experience because of the fluid framerates.

Edited by Motomouse

Thanks for this . I may make use of this in a few months . I note that you also have the refresh rate at 60hz in addition to the downsampling . Any flickering or dimming of the display ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

If you just changed from 90hz to 60hz you will notice probably a slight flickering, no dimming. But if I start in 60hz mode I do not notice flickering at all. But I prefer the constant FPS of the 60hz mode over aiming for 60 FPS in the 90 hz mode. When I use the 90hz mode I reduce Visib Range from High to Medium and aim for 90 FPS with my settings.

• 1 month later...

No need for a new GPU or CPU.

In the advent of the HP Reverb G2 the motion smoothing of SteamVR works really well now for my G1 as well.

Here are my high quality 45 FPS (=90FPS with motion smoothing) settings. In a slow flyer like the A10-C II this is my preferred setting for the outrageous high image quality on my trusty 3600X & 1080Ti combo. On my hardware these settings are good for +/- 20 ms GPU and +/- 10 ms CPU frametimes -> stutterfree 45 FPS base perfect for motion smoothing.

200ss45fps.thumb.JPG.86d05781eaf99089e2876a2692579b36.JPG

steamvr200.JPG.f1cc03a45d58369762ec9d3fef09f481.JPG

Edited by Motomouse

Overview

3600X & 1080Ti & Reverb G1:

(A) 90 FPS 50% rendering for aerobatics

(B) 60 FPS 100% rendering for medium quality

© 45(90) FPS 200% rendering with motion smoothing for high quality image

Settings A and C for flickerfree 90hz experience

Settings B if you dont mind the 60hz

Edited by Motomouse

Overview

3600X & 1080Ti & Reverb G1:

(A) 90 FPS 50% rendering for aerobatics

(B) 60 FPS 100% rendering for medium quality

© 45(90) FPS 200% rendering with motion smoothing for high quality image

Settings A and B for flickerfree 90hz experience

Settings B if you dont mind the 60hz

Don't you mean Settings A and C for flickerfree 90hz experience. :smilewink:

Thank you, updated.

You're welcome. I've been following your thread and findings closely. For whatever reason I seem to be finding I enjoy the direct opposite experience to you more. (Maybe it's because I was dropped on my head as a kid :lol:), but when I decided to do the opposite and chase lower FPS I found that to be a more 'smooth' experience.

Not going to hijack your thread here and take it off topic, so I've started another thread dedicated to smoothness at the sacrifice of lower FPS instead - but I'm still following what you're doing closely too.

It seems the never ending story in reality wasn't the search to defeat the 'nothingness', it's for smooth experience in DCS. :lol:

Besides the technical aspects everybody has to find a setting he is comfortable with.

My goals change from flight to flight and mission to mission. Also humans are very good adopting to different situations aka image quality, video quality and FPS. I for example do not notice any flickering at all anymore with antialiasing turned off. Similar to reading a book most of the sim experience is created inside of our own brains, monitors and headsets are just supportive measures ;-)

Hey Motomouse thanks for your post,

I recently got a Reverb G1 and still dialing in all the settings. I think my system is suffering quite a bit due to the fact I'm running at 8+ years CPU but sometimes I can get some decent FPS (lol). I might be upgrading my system soon but in the meanwhile I got curious to try your advices on reducing the SteamVR rendering resolution.

One question though: What Pixel Density are you setting in DCS?

Also, could you list what kind of DCS settings and Steam VR setting are you using for options A, B and C mentioned above? *edit: I think I understood which settings are you using for which options, here's what I got (let me know if I got it right):

Option A - Post #4

Option B - Post #8

Option C - Post #10

thanks a lot :)

Edited by Snakedoc

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

A-10C | A-10C II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | PG | Syria | SC

Home made F-16C simulator
Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

• 3 weeks later...
Who is afraid of half resolution?

1564 x 1528 pixels per eye

I will start with my 60 FPS beauty settings. I would recommend these for everyday usage because the 60 FPS target allows for a stunning lighting and VR experience.

(If you want to achieve the 60 FPS also in multiplayer and complex missions, make sure you uninstall tacview. (Will later test if disabling is an option too). I noticed this when both my GPU and CPU frametimes were exceptional, but still achieved lower FPS in multiplayer.)

Take a special note of the Depth of Field & Preload settings :-) (Besides quality Texture, Visib Range, Cockpit Global Illumination, MSAA and Shadow options)

I also turn on advanced supersampling in Steam VR.

Does the monitor resolution have any effect on the VR side?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Am I the only one NOT seeing a benefit from using the shader mod? In fact, I think it makes mine looks worse.

I'm getting a very nice looking 45fps, hi textures and terrain

Ryzen R9 3900X(4.2Ghz) / 1080ti / 32GB RAM DDR4 (3600Mhz) / Vive Cosmos Elite /

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

The performance of DCS and the HP Reverb G1 improved over the last few weeks:

I am flying right now with my friends on the channel map in multiplayer at 100% rendering, 4x AA, high shadows, medium distance with > 45 FPS at all situations (very enjoyable with the good steamvr motion smoothing enabled)

Hey guys I'm hoping you can help me out. I recently just got my G2 and I am converting over from the Rift S which I had running well.

So far the tracking in DCS and only DCS is a little off feeling and when I jump into the F18 its still rather blurry.... Not noticing anything quite like Im experiencing with my racing sims and Im hoping you guys can help lead me into what I'm obviously doing wrong here.

I have a 9900k not oc and a 2080ti with 48gb 3200 ram.... Everything is loaded on a SSD as well. ...

Thanks in advance guys.