Jester Hooking

NickF08

Is there any chance that Jester can Hook the closest bandit after doing his normal work flow? This would make him so much more competitive in multiplayer scenarios and help with quality of life.

On the other hand is Jester still being updated and improved upon, or he is as at standstill currently?

Thanks, Nick

That's a good idea, I will add it to the list.

Yes, we plan on improving Jester, although not far beyond the scope of what he is capable of doing now. Please keep in mind, he never will be able to fully replace a human RIO or do any kind of sophisticated choices, like a human would.

But such small improvements, like hooking the closest target, are definitely possible. This is, after all the stuff we are working on with him currently. Mainly fixing his TWS/RWS behavior and implementing Lantirn.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

That's a good idea, I will add it to the list.

Yes, we plan on improving Jester, although not far beyond the scope of what he is capable of doing now. Please keep in mind, he never will be able to fully replace a human RIO or do any kind of sophisticated choices, like a human would.

But such small improvements, like hooking the closest target, are definitely possible. This is, after all the stuff we are working on with him currently. Mainly fixing his TWS/RWS behavior and implementing Lantirn.

Thanks for the quick response, glad its on the radar!

Is there any chance that Jester can Hook the closest bandit after doing his normal work flow? This would make him so much more competitive in multiplayer scenarios and help with quality of life.

On the other hand is Jester still being updated and improved upon, or he is as at standstill currently?

Thanks, Nick

+1

as is with groups of bandits Im constantly going STT lock - pick target then cancelling just to check range on closest bandit

You know you guys can read the range from the V lines in the TID?

Each line and line break represents 20nm. :-) While you dont get the exact range, you can estimate pretty nicely, especially when TID range is set to 100nm or less. As for alts the numbers next to the target represent the altitude deck, 0, 10k, 20k, 30k, 40k, etc... Personally these two bits are enough for me. But we will still change it so that he will have a better hooking logic.

One idea that we are pondering is that he simply cycles priority targets, as usually you dont get any more than 4, and else reverts to closes one, or similar.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

I think "Jester, hook next track" / "Jester, hook prev track" commands on the Jester menu or keybinds would work well to help "guide" Jester's thought process and solve this problem.

A big limitation with the Jester logic seems to be that Jester does not take into account datalink HAFU info in deciding prioritization of actions.

(Peripherally related: IMHO the "Jester, hit next launch" command is desperately needed for a number of reasons, but this lack on consideration of datalink contact status is one of them. Many times we see first launch priority is given to the closer unknown, but the upside down HAFU clearly puts in as a friendly. In the mean time there are other hot tracks that are clearly hostile that have launch priority 2, 3, or 4. What can we do? NOTHING if you don't want to kill friendly. Just wait and wait and wait and wait tile Jester changes the threat prioritization by eventually classifying the unknown as firendly, while the real danger is getting closer and closer and closer).

Edited by Bearfoot

Jester doesn't change thread prioritization and no RIO can, only the AWG-9 does that. Next launch would be a nice addition though, I agree, since it lets you skip a priority target.

Heatblur Simulations

Each line and line break represents 20nm. :-) While you dont get the exact range, you can estimate pretty nicely, especially when TID range is set to 100nm or less. As for alts the numbers next to the target represent the altitude deck, 0, 10k, 20k, 30k, 40k, etc... Personally these two bits are enough for me. But we will still change it so that he will have a better hooking logic.

One idea that we are pondering is that he simply cycles priority targets, as usually you dont get any more than 4, and else reverts to closes one, or similar.

The V lines are good for finding an estimate, but like you said not exact. This also does not include the bandits altitude, and closure rate which will determine weather or not you fire on that bandit.

If possible a new wheel command option for hooking commands would be fantastic, but if not possible hooking the closest bandit would be a fantastic change!

Thanks for looking at community feedback!

well altitude you can estimate as well by 10s of thousand feet, and the velocity vector is represented through the line coming or gowing away from the track. the longer the line is, the higher the closure rate. Just an FYI.

We'll think of something. Menu items are the last thing we try, as they are one of the most work-intense Jester fixes (as weird as it sounds).

Heatblur Simulations

well altitude you can estimate as well by 10s of thousand feet, and the velocity vector is represented through the line coming or gowing away from the track. the longer the line is, the higher the closure rate. Just an FYI.

We'll think of something. Menu items are the last thing we try, as they are one of the most work-intense Jester fixes (as weird as it sounds).

From this user's perspective, anyway, key binds are GREATLY preferred to the Jester menu as well -- easier to map to StreamDeck/VoiceAttack, and no need for reading text and head-bobbing in the heat of the moment.

+1 Bearfoot. The Jester wheel is an innovative solution, but not easy to use in game when under pressure. I find VA good, but not reliable enough for me ... the story of voice recognition!

Also, for me, toggle type key binds a preferable where possible, rather than separate key binds, eg. a pilot RWS/TWS toggle would be preferable to separate RWS and TWS as now.

Training ME setup, I position the aircraft in the air, load, un-pause,

I then say 'setup', and 10 VA commands execute as from a machine gun,

and after this died down,

I am in altitude hold, and my comm connections and screens are set up,

I can now open my radio by saying 'radio' and contact ATC by 'ATC' voice. :)

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Thanks, Nick

whew. when I first read this I thought ' youre pimping your RIO out?! wtf dude!'

glad I was wrong

• 1 month later...

Will this be in the new major F14 update coming out tomorrow? Been looking at some of the additions coming, and had not seen this listed.