Good Typhoon/Rafale article

Hummingbird

BTW, we have no chance to compare both in DCS. Dassault doesn't like to communicate much on its aircrafts. An old M2KC as fyable is already a miracle... And as a lot of people here pointed out, SPECTRA is one of the main strenght of the Rafale. Don't expect any data on it... We know it can focus a jamming in a precise direction in the enemy radar frequency. It can create false contact making think the Rafale is elsewhere. But there is no way Dassault will explain to a module maker how it works, nor any possibility DCS can recreate that. "Classic" ECM is still a joke in the sim (even if ED try to improve it). And even how "classic" ECM should work is still classified...

Edited by Talon Karde

Talon Karde

Du Talon de qualité, élevé au grain et en plein air, entièrement livré en kit.

Mauvais pilote:joystick: sur DCS: F-14B, DCS: F/A-18C et DCS: Mirage 2000C :wub:

-= In Ctrl + E + E + E we trust =-

Blog Takarde Gaming

Envie de tester Shadow de Blade? Tiens, un code de parrainage : ARNJB3VB

On 2/22/2021 at 6:57 PM, Top Jockey said:

In that case that's a pity, but I fully understand the economics factor behind decisions of this nature.

Well I think part of the reason countries are less interested in it than expected is due to the extra drag it will generate, i.e. you're sacreficing some sustained performance for a higher permissable AoA & improved low speed characteristics, the latter of which aren't really vital for the air superiority role.

Also should TVC be added later it might make the AMK redundant.

Edited by Hummingbird

7 hours ago, Hummingbird said:

Well I think part of the reason countries are less interested in it than expected is due to the extra drag it will generate, i.e. you're sacreficing some sustained performance for a higher permissable AoA & improved low speed characteristics, the latter of which aren't really vital for the air superiority role.

Also should TVC be added later it might make the AMK redundant.

Would tvc help with roll rate?

10 minutes ago, F-2 said:

Would tvc help with roll rate?

Well it can, but on the EF the engines are very close together, which means TVC won't be able to enhance roll as much as for example on a wide nacelle fighter such as a Flanker. But honestly I don't think it's necessary either, as the EF already rolls plenty fast 🙂  Adding TVC will mainly help remove AoA restrictions and improve low speed handling, whilst it will also help basically eliminate trim drag in maneuvers.

On 2/24/2021 at 9:49 AM, Talon Karde said:

And even how "classic" ECM should work is still classified...

Not at all. If by "classic" ECM, you mean noise jamming, details can easily be found in various university-level books. The same goes for more sophisticated, but still old, ECM techniques (RGPO, for example). The difficult and inaccessible part is to know how these techniques show up on aircraft radars and how the latter's ECCM (if available) deals with them. ECM isn't the problem, visualizing in in-game is. But even a rudimentary ECM/ECCM simulation, based on much older than modern techniques would be miles ahead of what we have in DCS now.

• Like 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

On 2/24/2021 at 8:49 AM, Talon Karde said:

BTW, we have no chance to compare both in DCS. Dassault doesn't like to communicate much on its aircrafts. An old M2KC as fyable is already a miracle... And as a lot of people here pointed out, SPECTRA is one of the main strenght of the Rafale. Don't expect any data on it... We know it can focus a jamming in a precise direction in the enemy radar frequency. It can create false contact making think the Rafale is elsewhere. But there is no way Dassault will explain to a module maker how it works, nor any possibility DCS can recreate that. "Classic" ECM is still a joke in the sim (even if ED try to improve it). And even how "classic" ECM should work is still classified...

Hi Talon Karde

I'd have to disagree with the bolded part of your statement.  While specific ECM techniques and the performance of said techniques when a applied to individual platforms is classified, there is plenty of information available about how "classic" ECM works.

Edited by Blaze1
No edit, but Harker beat me to it.

Yes, you both explain better what I wanted to say. We know how it works but not how it affects exactly radars, distance of effectiveness, etc. Simple noise jamming would be good for older aircrafts. But even for F-16 or F/A-18 I doubt we could simulate correctly. So I'm laughing at the idea Typhoon ECM suite has a chance to be realistic.

And before we would have any public data on SPECTRA, humanity will have colonised half of the galaxy 😄

• Like 1

Talon Karde

Du Talon de qualité, élevé au grain et en plein air, entièrement livré en kit.

Mauvais pilote:joystick: sur DCS: F-14B, DCS: F/A-18C et DCS: Mirage 2000C :wub:

-= In Ctrl + E + E + E we trust =-

Blog Takarde Gaming

Envie de tester Shadow de Blade? Tiens, un code de parrainage : ARNJB3VB