Bring A-10A up to "near" A-10C DCS standard

Andrew8604

Looking at the 80-pages explaining the CDU in the A-10C, I really like "kickin' the tires and lightin' the fires" in the A-10A. But the A-10A is too simplified. NON-CLICKABLE cockpit! I like the "old '80's" look of the A-10A cockpit. I like that simpler to understand armament panel. And just a single "SFMD"...single-function, monochrome display for the Mav's. :)

Could DCS either take the A-10C and 'demote and simplify' it back to A-10A model; or upgrade the A-10A? The F-16C is a fun plane to fly. You can get it up and flying pretty quickly...but it doesn't have that GAU-8 gun!

For the A-10A module...

Phase 1 -- clickable cockpit with most basic panels functioning, and upgrade to the A-10C flight model, if applicable. Aerodynamically, I think they are the same aircraft.

Phase 2 -- implement the more complex avionics and targeting/navigation systems...which should be similar to those in the A-10C, but with less capabilities...and therefore, simpler and more fun.

Even if they called it the A-10A+ and charged $29.95 for it...I'd purchase it.

The A-10C is like the avionics of a Strike Eagle in a Cessna Citation I airframe. :)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

+1, I would love a Full Fidelity A-10A... never was a "Gib newest tech guy" myself

• Like 8

-------

All the people keep asking for capabilities to be modelled.... I want the limitations to be modelled.... limitations make for realistic simulation.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a bit you realize the pig likes it.

Long time ago in galaxy far far away:

https://www.deviantart.com/alfafox/gallery

Higher quality, but not full fidelity versions of some FC3 modules are a great idea! Make people pay an extra amount for them to make the effort worthwhile. Would be a great opportunity to upgrade the avionics of some planes to what they had in the 2000s, aswell.

I did. A lot of those commenters said they would pay for an enhanced A-10A module. Me too.

I wish I could have greater insight into how these modules are made...how they do what they do. I'm sure that would improve my assessment of how feasible a clickable cockpit A-10A would be.

Since we have a clickable A-10C, could it not be modified to be a clickable A-10A? Take away the UFC and the MFCD's. Add the click-ability for the A-10A's weapons panel. Swap out the CDU for the INS. In other words, dumb-down the A-10C into an A-10A. Then the two modules would seemingly have a lot of code commonality, to ease module debugging and maintenance. I would think the A-10C flight model (currently being tweaked?) would be essentially identical to the A-10A flight model. If the current Flaming Cliffs3 A-10A module is so different from the A-10C module, then no, don't put any more work into it if you can spawn the A-10A off of a current A-10C module. Then they could 'sunset' the FC3 A-10. But I can't assess how feasible that is.

It's not just that the A-10C takes so much study just to be able to power it up and enable its weapons. It's that when all is said and done, you have such a computerized monster in the "C". I just have an affection for the less computerized "A", its lesser capabilities, and more rounded instrument panel. Nostalgia, I guess. Imagine all the fun aircraft we'd miss out on if DCS only had currently "real-world" operational modules in it.

Edited by Andrew8604
typo
  • Like 3

I did. A lot of those commenters said they would pay for an enhanced A-10A module. Me too.

I wish I could have greater insight into how these modules are made...how they do what they do. I'm sure that would improve my assessment of how feasible a clickable cockpit A-10A would be.

Since we have a clickable A-10C, could it not be modified to be a clickable A-10A? Take away the UFC and the MFCD's. Add the click-ability for the A-10A's weapons panel. Swap out the CDU for the INS. In other words, dumb-down the A-10C into an A-10A. Then the two modules would seemingly have a lot of code commonality, to ease module debugging and maintenance. I would think the A-10C flight model (currently being tweaked?) would be essentially identical to the A-10A flight model. If the current Flaming Cliffs3 A-10A module is so different from the A-10C module, then no, don't put any more work into it if you can spawn the A-10A off of a current A-10C module. Then they could 'sunset' the FC3 A-10. But I can't assess how feasible that is.

It's not just that the A-10C takes so much study just to be able to power it up and enable its weapons. It's that when all is said and done, you have such a computerized monster in the "C". I just have an affection for the less computerized "A", its lesser capabilities, and more rounded instrument panel. Nostalgia, I guess. Imagine all the fun aircraft we'd miss out on if DCS only had currently "real-world" operational modules in it.

Easy just turn off all the Computers and bomb manually with iron bombs, problem solved lol. I cannot see why DCS would model the A10A when they already have the later version, wouldn't be commercially viable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Easy just turn off all the Computers and bomb manually with iron bombs, problem solved lol. I cannot see why DCS would model the A10A when they already have the later version, wouldn't be commercially viable.

Not too much work like a new module,I think something in the ball park of A-10C II upgrade... and I wouldn't mind paying 20$-30$ for a FF upgrade...

• Like 1

-------

All the people keep asking for capabilities to be modelled.... I want the limitations to be modelled.... limitations make for realistic simulation.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a bit you realize the pig likes it.

Long time ago in galaxy far far away:

https://www.deviantart.com/alfafox/gallery

Looking at the 80-pages explaining the CDU in the A-10C, I really like "kickin' the tires and lightin' the fires" in the A-10A. But the A-10A is too simplified. NON-CLICKABLE cockpit! I like the "old '80's" look of the A-10A cockpit. I like that simpler to understand armament panel. And just a single "SFMD"...single-function, monochrome display for the Mav's. :)

Could DCS either take the A-10C and 'demote and simplify' it back to A-10A model; or upgrade the A-10A? The F-16C is a fun plane to fly. You can get it up and flying pretty quickly...but it doesn't have that GAU-8 gun!

For the A-10A module...

Phase 1 -- clickable cockpit with most basic panels functioning, and upgrade to the A-10C flight model, if applicable. Aerodynamically, I think they are the same aircraft.

Phase 2 -- implement the more complex avionics and targeting/navigation systems...which should be similar to those in the A-10C, but with less capabilities...and therefore, simpler and more fun.

Even if they called it the A-10A+ and charged $29.95 for it...I'd purchase it.

The A-10C is like the avionics of a Strike Eagle in a Cessna Citation I airframe. :)

Completely agree, I really like the A model, if at least they would finish it I would not mind the non clickable cockpit

• 4 months later...

I would like full fidelity realistic clickable A-10A first because it would be far, far, far easier to learn, remember it's systems.

Second because it offered arguably more interesting close, skill based, manual weapon employment compared to automatic standoff A-10C.

Third because A-10A had more interesting timeframe of the Cold War and real all out war Desert Storm when it actually proved itself destroying hundreds of enemy tanks and AFVs with some A-10A being hit and lost. A-10C operated only in ~zero threat environment.

And "A" would be incomparably easier to model than "C" variant.

Edited by bies
  • Like 6

As much as I would like a clickable A-10A, I don't think the chances are high, we could get it. Not after the A-10C and A-10C II. It would be the fourth version of the A-10 in DCS.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

• 5 months later...

I concur.

And if there isn't a possibility to get a full fidelity A-10A, then an updated cockpit like they did for the A-10C II would go a long, long way.

A few years back, I did as best as I could to adapt the excelent (if old) textures from Ricardo's A-10C "Horse of War" into the A-10A (see here) and, while at that time it was a good solution (and no other as of today), now after using the newest A-10C II it does start to look long in the tooth.

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 2

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 1:01 PM, norbot said:

As much as I would like a clickable A-10A, I don't think the chances are high, we could get it. Not after the A-10C and A-10C II. It would be the fourth version of the A-10 in DCS.

But then that's kinds the point. This iconic aircraft would have all relevant variants available. Hell sell it as a super pack the way Heatblur did the F-14. You could fly the Hog actually in any phase of its career. You could build campaigns where you start off in an A, and "retire" from a CII. I do believe that it would be worth the investment for ED. 

• Like 5

Where‘s the link to the „early access“ of the A-10A? :wub:

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2021 at 5:00 PM, dandan said:

I like the aircraft during the Gulf War. I am willing to buy a10a

As am I.

I'm trying to learn the C version, but am finding it overwhelming and intimidating. Understanding the control of the two MFD's in the C is giving me fits.

I feel I'm pretty proficient in the A and prefer it's simpler work flow. 

I'd buy an updated A version in a heartbeat, but I don't think it will ever happen.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2021 at 6:24 AM, Auger said:

As am I.

I'm trying to learn the C version, but am finding it overwhelming and intimidating. Understanding the control of the two MFD's in the C is giving me fits.

I feel I'm pretty proficient in the A and prefer it's simpler work flow. 

I'd buy an updated A version in a heartbeat, but I don't think it will ever happen.

Yep.  Most seem to want the latest and greatest...to which I say, "Go for it!"  🙂 

Stealth Drone.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...