Very frustrated trying to land the F15C, help?

Deny777

I've spent the last 6 hours trying to land this thing, with quick stops to read and watch tutorials (so many of them). I have a mission set up so it's a straight line from airborne to the runway and yet I can't for the life of me land the damn bird. I'll be very honest, I feel like I'm less than a moron, is this supposed to be this hard or do I not have what it takes and should give up and stick to the A-10A (which I am able to land)?

Here are my struggles:

1. I'm coming in at around 200 knots, altitude around 1500ft (that's sea level, real altitude seems much lower but unlike the A-10A the F15C doesn't switch to radar altitude for landing). I find it extremely hard to maintain a steady approach velocity, too hot and I crash and burn, too slow and the plane stalls and is unable to keep AoA at 22 degrees. And then I crash and burn.

2. As soon as I deploy flaps the thing drops from the air like a brick. And then I crash and burn.

3. I live in a country where packages take 3 freaking weeks to arrive from a different state, so my HOTAS won't be here for another week and I suspect one of the reasons I'm having such a hard time is because I'm flying using an XBox joystick, which really isn't that bad but not having a dedicated throttle control and having to set speed using the keyboard feels very very wrong.

So basically I crash and burn every single time and am beginning to get the feeling that there's no other possible outcome to my attempts.

Advice? Help? A shoulder to cry on?

I'm flying using an XBox joystick,

There you go..... you already knew the answer at least part of it. Help yourself by getting a joystick even the cheapes one (maybe like Logitech 3D extreme etc) could help and make huge different IMO.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

I'm flying using an XBox joystick,

There you go..... you already knew the answer at least part of it. Help yourself by getting a joystick even the cheapes one (maybe like Logitech 3D extreme etc) could help and make huge different IMO.

He said he bought one and it’s on the way.

Increase power when you put your flaps down, you need to counteract the increased drag.

If you upload a video it might help, or I might recommend watching a YouTube video of someone land it as long as it was made after 2014(when the flight model was changed). There’s a great mudspike tutorial on F-15 if you search mudspike F-15 guide

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

F-15c ILS appch to land

Shows an IMC approach to land in VMC conditions. ILS is used and flown. ILS may be a little low for a visual appch. but its a good reference point, ie.3deg path. Now this is almost a max weight landing so the video shows a speed that may be a tad higher than you may be used to.

some basics to help

Ok, i re-read your post. Its not the plane F-15c vs. A-10c, its you, but don't worry you do have what it takes if you can land the A-10 you can land the F-15...Just a few pointers if I may:

1. Practice long straight in approaches with zero wind and zero turbulence. Set them up in the mission editor ready to go. ( slot two aircraft in the editor so you can just re-join if you crash).

2. Practice noticing the cues that you are slowing down or speeding up. Also practice noticing the cues that you have arrested a slow down and power down a tad to not speed back up.

3. Practice noticing the visual cues and instruments telling the the above as well as your pitch attitude.

4. Your target speed depends on how heavy you are, heavier = faster speed needed to land. You are looking for an angle of attack (AoA). practice keeping your AoA steady at whatever weight you have.

5. Path to runway visual cues: important: if the runway is rising in your frontal windscreen/hud then your are not holding a steady path to the runway and are falling short and low. If the runway is "falling" you are also not holding your path to the runway but this time you are getting to high. Edit: the huds on both planes have a small circle with a tick mark above and to the sides like a mini-airplane: that is your flight path indicator ( stick that to the runway threshold & hold it there - it will help you stabilize your approach. ) That little bugger is your friend, shows very easily your flight path as well as your AoA (the separation from your boresight marker to it{flight path indicator} is your AoA, work to keep it steady where you want.)

6. Practice putting all these together, it'll make your A-10 landing better as well, and your feel better about your progress. Hope this helps.

If at all possible get a friend to show you first hand in a two place cockpit how all these changes look and feel, it'll be similar to a real training flight. If not don't fret you'll get it. The reason i believe you feel the A-10 is easier vs. the F-15 is the approach speed is all, faster speeds make less room for mistakes to notice them and less time to correct them, that's all really. Keep practicing and i guarantee you'll get it.

Edited by cauldron
forgot to mention the hud indicators

Ok, i re-read your post. Its not the plane F-15c vs. A-10c, its you, but don't worry you do have what it takes if you can land the A-10 you can land the F-15...Just a few pointers if I may:

1. Practice long straight in approaches with zero wind and zero turbulence. Set them up in the mission editor ready to go. ( slot two aircraft in the editor so you can just re-join if you crash).

2. Practice noticing the cues that you are slowing down or speeding up. Also practice noticing the cues that you have arrested a slow down and power down a tad to not speed back up.

3. Practice noticing the visual cues and instruments telling the the above as well as your pitch attitude.

4. Your target speed depends on how heavy you are, heavier = faster speed needed to land. You are looking for an angle of attack (AoA). practice keeping your AoA steady at whatever weight you have.

5. Path to runway visual cues: important: if the runway is rising in your frontal windscreen/hud then your are not holding a steady path to the runway and are falling short and low. If the runway is "falling" you are also not holding your path to the runway but this time you are getting to high. Edit: the huds on both planes have a small circle with a tick mark above and to the sides like a mini-airplane: that is your flight path indicator ( stick that to the runway threshold & hold it there - it will help you stabilize your approach. ) That little bugger is your friend, shows very easily your flight path as well as your AoA (the separation from your boresight marker to it{flight path indicator} is your AoA, work to keep it steady where you want.)

6. Practice putting all these together, it'll make your A-10 landing better as well, and your feel better about your progress. Hope this helps.

If at all possible get a friend to show you first hand in a two place cockpit how all these changes look and feel, it'll be similar to a real training flight. If not don't fret you'll get it. The reason i believe you feel the A-10 is easier vs. the F-15 is the approach speed is all, faster speeds make less room for mistakes to notice them and less time to correct them, that's all really. Keep practicing and i guarantee you'll get it.

Thanks Cauldron, this actually helped, managed to land the F15C for the first time just now :)

886523211_DigitalCombatSimulatorBlackSharkScreenshot2020_09.13-10_01_08_38.thumb.png.39e300c1c0d8159f423d9806d827dbc1.png

So for future reference, the problem was my mission started airborne and the throttle was set to idle from the start, now I can land the F15C more often than not, thanks to everyone who replied.

Something very satisfying about taxing the plane and shutting off the engines, ATC said something about "proceed and taxi to parking spot", I assume he meant this? :D

1309374244_DigitalCombatSimulatorBlackSharkScreenshot2020_09.13-18_38_19_86.thumb.png.4e2b49c8f974823fa15f17202537ff12.png

Thanks Cauldron, this actually helped, managed to land the F15C for the first time just now :)

These are real manual pages regarding landing the Eagle:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3295703&postcount=25

Any time you have a question or a doubt just ask here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=331

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria